LSi9 vs LSiC <--- and which 6channel amp?

Options
infinitiqx4
infinitiqx4 Posts: 80
edited January 2003 in Speakers
Have you guys checked the specs? Seems to be very little difference. All crossovers and drivers are the same. The dimensions are different and so are the rated ranges, though you'd have a subwoofer either way so it doesn't matter. The LSi9 is shielded as well, plus you get to choose ebony or cherry.

1. Why not buy a pair of LSi9 and use one for center and one for rear center in a 6.1 setup? Since I'm looking at doing the whole HT, I'm thinking 6 LSi9.

2. I currently have a single PSW650 and nothing else. Should I get another 650 with my LSi9 order (save shipping) or just see if a single one works?

3. What amp drives 6 or more channels? I previously was interested in the Rotel 1075, but that is only 5 channels. Price was listed $1000 and I would like to stay around there or lower.

4. Pre/pro or receiver not decided on yet. May actually do an HTPC direct to the amp.

Background: 80/20 music/HT.

Also, thanks to jmierzur who suggested doing LSi9 with dual 650 subs over LSi15 with a single sub that would only be used for HT... now I got a little creative.
Post edited by infinitiqx4 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I like the idea of LSi9 all around - it's a very manageable speaker size on stands and on an HDTV sideways. Set the all to small at 80 Hz or even a tad lower and get a single killer sub for the best corner of the room. I'd look at othe subs than the 650, though.

Anyway, check out Adcom - some very nice 7 channel amps coming out of them lately - 125 and 300 all channel driven. High current, high damping factor, high slew rate, huge caps and transformers, mono-block discrete design, and they can drive any impedance speaker with ease. It definitely would be my choice for an upgrade to separates.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The 9 might be a little hard to mount and such on a HDTV, the beveled edges can be a pain. Also, I tried putting a 9 on top of my TV to use as a center and it made the TV turn color, so it's not as shielded as the C is.

Arcam has some 7 channel amps. Outlaw Audio does too.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited January 2003
    Options
    For a six or more channel music/HT system, who said that you should only use one amp? I listen to two channel music more than I listen to multi channel music. Unless you get a REALLY good multi-channel amp, a good two channel amp will out perform any two channels of a multi channel amp. That is why my main speakers are using a dedicated two channel amp (RB-980BX, current RB-1070) and the 'surround' channels use a multi channel amp (RMB-1075).

I have a 5.1 set up with speakers that were designed for the purpose. The FX hang on the wall to the sides and the center sits nicely above the TV. This sound great and looks cool. The next purchase would be LSi7 for rear to complete the seven speaker setup. This was my choice. I have not heard a setup that has six identical speakers. Try to listen to setup like this and see what YOU think.

For the sub, try it with one and see what you think. You can always buy another later if you want two. FYI: the ProSub80 is rated with a -3db cutoff at 31hz. With two in my room, I measured 25hz as the cutoff. This is not taking into consideration the error correction factor for the RS SPL meter. 21hz was measured at -8db and when taking into consideration the correction factor for the RS SPL meter, is still above the reference level measured at 1Khz. Not bad for wimpy 8" subs. The base is very musical and dynamic; that is why I choose two 8" subs over one larger sub.

cheers.
  • infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by jmierzur
    For a six or more channel music/HT system, who said that you should only use one amp?

No one said that it had to be all channels in one amp. It just seems a cheaper route. And it is already much better than a receiver, so I feel pretty comfortable with it. I am considering a 5 channel right now and doing 5.1- that works well to add a dedicated 2 channel amp and floor standing speakers in the future for 7.1 and improved stereo! But a 6 channel seems like it would work well now and prevent upgraditis.
  • infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    Options
    also agree that I can do better than a 650 for the sub. But I already have one 650... so it seems to be more cost effective to either add another 650 or keep it the way it is than to get rid of the 650 and buy something new.