Polk Marine 4 inch speakers

FZSK$P
FZSK$P Posts: 4
edited December 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi folks,
complete newbie here. :eek:

The family has a Jeep Wrangler that we use both on and off road.

Installed a Sony Marine head unit and a set of Polk 4 x 6 `s in the dash.

Looking to add a set of rear speakers. Due to the small size of a Jeep and the fact that it has a full rollcage space it VERY tight.

My thought was to make a pair of rear speakers (like Wakeboards) that could attach to the roll cage.

4 inch PVC pipe with an end cap or maybe 6 inch PVC with a cap. A roll bar clamp could mount the setup to the cage itself.

Looking at the Polk 4, 5 1/2`s and 6`s, how are they measured ? In other words would a 4 inch fit inside a 4 inch length of PVC pipe ? Or is the 4 inch dimension the size of the speaker itself and does not include the mounting plate ? :confused:

Thoughts, comments or ideas ?

Thanks !!
Post edited by FZSK$P on

Comments

• Eric W
    Eric W Posts: 556
    edited December 2008
    What model are you looking at? Most of our current speakers have line drawings available for downloading, so you'll get an exact dimension. Here is the dB401's

http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/db401_linedrawing.pdf
    -Eric
    -Polk Audio
  • FZSK$P
    edited December 2008
    Thanks Eric !! Most helpful.

You ask what speakers I might be interested in. In all honesty I really don`t know. My guess would be a Marine type for the simple reason of exposure.

Perhaps you might make a couple suggestions in a 4 and 6 inch size ?

Unless I can find some type of waterproof enclosure for an AMP. Or some clever mounting spot :eek: I am afraid the speakers will be only powered by the head unit.

Any thoughts on optimizing the simple tube enclosure ?

Is there a link that I can access for drawings ?

Thank you very much. :D:D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2008
    Um, I do believe that all of Polk Audio's automotive speakers are marine certified so any of them will work.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • FZSK$P
    edited December 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    Um, I do believe that all of Polk Audio's automotive speakers are marine certified so any of them will work.

Duh on me. :rolleyes:

Indeed the ones I have looked at are Marine Cert.

Leaning towards the 5 1/2 inch size. Compromise between size and sound.
  • Eric W
    Eric W Posts: 556
    edited December 2008
    FZSK$P wrote: »
    Thanks Eric !! Most helpful.

You ask what speakers I might be interested in. In all honesty I really don`t know. My guess would be a Marine type for the simple reason of exposure.

Perhaps you might make a couple suggestions in a 4 and 6 inch size ?

Unless I can find some type of waterproof enclosure for an AMP. Or some clever mounting spot :eek: I am afraid the speakers will be only powered by the head unit.

Any thoughts on optimizing the simple tube enclosure ?

Is there a link that I can access for drawings ?

Thank you very much. :D:D
    Most of our auto/marine speakers have line drawings on the product page. Get the biggest one you can fit. The larger speakers tend to handle more power and be more efficient. Tube enclosure will be very similar to a wake board tower "can." Make sure it's free of leaks....
    -Eric
    -Polk Audio