Hd-dvd

Options
ted538
ted538 Posts: 63
edited February 2003 in Music & Movies
So...I`ve been reading some articles on the new HD-DVD format that will be possibly coming out in the near future and I`m starting to have nightmares about my collection of DVDS becoming obsolete...can anyone shed some light on my concern?..I`m starting to really build up a collection and would really hate to think that I`m wasting money.
Post edited by ted538 on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ted, not to worry buddy - most if not all HD-DVD players will be back compatable. Meaning they will play regular DVD's also. Kinda like PS2 playing PS1 games also.
    The players will contain both lasers needed for playback.
    I feel your pain as my DVD collection is around 250 DVD's.
    But I can't what for HD - my projector is willing and waiting.
    Later;)
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    H-E-L-L-O Ted, anybody home!!:D
  • ted538
    edited January 2003
    Options
    sorry dude...long day at work...do you think it is wise for me to keep adding onto my collection?...I absolutely love HD...HD-DVD will be amazing I`m sure.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I am still adding but now with a DVD foundation of around 250 - I am MUCH more picky with what DVD's I buy now. I have cut down quite abit.
  • ted538
    edited January 2003
    Options
    it`s amazing how addictive it can be....from online purchases(dvdempire,ebay) and best buy...I can always find something new...by the way..bestbuy.com has been great lately...alot of good prices...each week new deals and free shipping which is very fast.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I like dvdempire but good to hear about the deals at best buy. Because there is not one in my town.
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Does HDDVD mean I have to REPLACE all my DVD's in the future? I mean I know I don't HAVE to, but I'll WANT to.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited January 2003
    Options
    It would be foolish for the entertainment industry to think everyone will drop their current dvd's for hd-dvd. Dvd sales has become a goldmine for them and the last thing they want is to put confusion and hesitation in the buyer's mind.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • geekmedic
    geekmedic Posts: 78
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Any ideas when HD-DVD will be coming about?

I'm salivating thinking about it! Just think, if the current 480p DVD pics are this nice on my HDTV, imagine what 1080i (or 720/960p) will be like. Excuse me while I whipe my mouth. :D

Only problem is that the first HD-DVD players will probably cost an arm and a leg. Even more of a problem is that I will probably still buy one. Guess I'll go ahead and trade in my left arm and leg since I'm right-handed.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. - Albert Einstein
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2003
    Options
    this is my plans when hd dvd comes out wait for a burner and get a good program to up convert my curent dvd to the new hd dvd format. or whenever my computer is finaly to the front of the upgradeline it will become a htpc and play all my dvd so it will up convert them to hd.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Up-converting isn't gonna do crap. It's just taking your 480p and stretching it to 1080i, it's still 480p.

The SOURCE has to be in 1080i to really reap the benefits.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Steve@3dai
    Up-converting isn't gonna do crap. It's just taking your 480p and stretching it to 1080i, it's still 480p.
    The SOURCE has to be in 1080i to really reap the benefits.
    Steve is right. People always trying to cheat with downloads and burners. Don't work.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited February 2003
    Options
    What's the difference between this new HD-DVD and Superbit DVD's that are currently being released? I thought that the whole issue with Superbit DVD's was that they eliminated all the extra featurettes and put more detail into the picture (upping the pixels) and enhancing the sound.......True? If the new format is going to be released, then why even bother with Superbit if their place is going to be overrun with HD-DVD?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    With superbit you are still getting the same picture quality - it is just a more detailed picture. There are a few DVDs out there that have the same or better video quality than Superbit. AOTC is an easy one and many of the Pixar movies because of the pure digital transfers.
    HD DVD is WAY beyond anything being produced now on disc. We are talking 1080i man. The best WE are doing even with any dvd including superbit is 480p.
  • brettw22
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    The best WE are doing even with any dvd including superbit is 480p.

I didnt' know that.......

Question though with regard to superbit.......how do you increase picture quality (Superbit vs. regular DVD) without increasing the number of pixels?
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I didnt' know that.......
    I didn't either for a while.
    Question though with regard to superbit.......how do you increase picture quality (Superbit vs. regular DVD)
    You answered the question yourself.
    ***More Room for Audio and Video - less compression.***
    The SB process results in better picture quality. Remember that Superbit is NOT a night and day diff from High Quality DVD's being put out here and there.
    Remember "Panic Room" (the first SB from the theater) Myself and many reviewers gave it a 3 out of 5 on sound and picture quality. Plus the movie sucked. IMO Hope this helps!!!!:cool:
  • geekmedic
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by brettw22
    Question though with regard to superbit.......how do you increase picture quality (Superbit vs. regular DVD) without increasing the number of pixels?

Each frame is actually compressed on a DVD. You wouldn't be able to store but only 30 minutes of a movie per DVD if you didn't use compression.

The current DVD standard will hold up to 4.7 GB of data. HD-DVD (single sided) will hold 27 GB of data. That equates to about 2 hours of high quality video or 13 hours of standard NTSC broadcast.

Even with that amount of data, the HD-DVD frames will still be compressed. At 24 fps, the frames take up a lot of space quickly. Have you taken a digital photo in JPG format? That's what most cameras store photos in. Take the same photo in TIFF (raw) format and compare the two in terms of size.

Superbit just uses less compression.
  • brettw22
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I guess I'm still confused then......If Superbit is just the same movie that's not AS compressed as a typical DVD with all the featurettes, then how is the video 'enhanced?' Is it as simple as less compression = better picture? If that's the case, the HD-DVD's would need to be less compressed, thus the new burning format burning at more levels, right? (I think that I get it)

So in order to play these HD-DVD's, you'd have to buy a new player. That seems like a bad move to me. I mean, the general public (which is the mass market) isn't going to drop more coin JUST to play what they can already watch with their current players. Also, since you (geekmedic) indicate that the HD-DVD disc's can hold up to 27 gig, I assume that an all new line of DVD writers is going to be released (or would that not happen for a few more years)?

Has there been any press release or write-ups about this new format? I'm curious how much more they're going to charge for these DVD's, and how long until they're gonna hit the market......
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    WOW!!!:eek:
    Put down the Mountain Dew - and step away!!!!;)
  • brettw22
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    But I can't what for HD - my projector is willing and waiting.
    Later;)

Scott,

Is there a limitation on projectors (direct or rear) on if they can handle a HD signal?
  • geekmedic
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Brett, you will need a new player because it uses a different laser system to record/read HD-DVD's as compared to regular DVD's. Your standard DVD's will not become obsolete. You will be able to watch them still. The DVD burner you use will not likely change to HD-DVD for a while because the writers will be so expensive.

Saying that the public wouldn't be interested in them and that they won't drop a coin to watch something they can with a regular player is akin to saying that individuals wouldn't migrate from 5.25" to 3.5" floppies, from CD's to DVD on computers, from CD's to DVD-Audio or SACD, from VHS to DVD, from NTSC to HDTV, or analog to digital cable. People do in fact do this.

The first set of players will no doubt be expensive, and it may take a few years before it takes off. However, there are people willing to purchase these players (I'm one!), and I'm sure the players will be backwards compatible with standard DVD's.

HD-DVD's are more than just "less compressed." The standard DVD frame is only 480 lines of image. The HD-DVD frames are 720 or more likely 1080 lines of image. With more lines of resolution, the HD-DVD could actually use more compression and still come out with a better looking image. Much of this is similar to computers that use 640x480 resolution in contrast to 1280x1024.
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Well said geekmedic.
    Is there a limitation on projectors (direct or rear) on if they can handle a HD signal?
    Many new projectors are handleing HD very. It depends on the projector. Modern day projectors are the offspring of Computer display projectors. 95% of all "HT" projectors handle varies computer ports. The class of display is catagorized as codes XGA - VGA - SVGA and so on.
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I like most of you would like to jump at the thought of a better DVD but the mass market still uses cd's for over 20 years and is not jumping to get SACD yet. Hey HD is coming and that may help. I am still using a 35" Sony XBR that is not hdtv compatable. I am jellous of my friends that are single that have their hd sets. Oh well Christmas 2005 is coming. Perhaps by then the boss will let me get a new tv. She needs to want more diamonds for me to get a new tv. HT audio set cost me a 10k ring and the DVD player cost me a grand in earrings.

Anyone else have a boss to answer too?
  • ted538
    edited February 2003
    Options
    jdavy....go into your bedroom..get down on your knees...reach under the bed..and take the box that holds your nuts...and put them back on..how guys like you live like that amazes me...what happened to your manhood?
  • brettw22
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ted538
    jdavy....go into your bedroom..get down on your knees...reach under the bed..and take the box that holds your nuts...and put them back on..how guys like you live like that amazes me...what happened to your manhood?

:lol: Ouch ted..........ouch.............
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I betcha 20 bucks that HD-DVD will be mainly 1080i. There isn't enough TVs out there that support 540p and 720p, mine included.

Or at least I hope they're mostly 1080i ;)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ted538

Put 'em back on?!?.......After you just stomped on 'em?!!?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thats what I call a C-U-T D-O-W-N...haha...very funny
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z

Put 'em back on?!?.......After you just stomped on 'em?!!?
    I totally agree - we touched on this before.
    A man or a mouse. Make the wife interested OR find another hobbie - like sewing.:lol: