SDA SRS 2 Crossover Parts list

Options

Comments

• Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Good luck, I'm interested to see how this turns out.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Good luck, I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Well, if our assumptions, interpretations and educated guesses are right, It should be $#@^&*' FANTASTIC!

I have some "Best of Eagles" on right now going back and forth A to B between my SDA-2B Sonicap'd "TL's" and my SDA SRS 2 RDO194-1 Sonicap'd speakers, and both simply blow me away. However, I have new MIT Shotgun 2 IC's and Cables just approaching 48 hours of burn-in on the SDA SRS 2's and the sound already has a hallucinogenic effect. 300 more hours of burn-in to reach full effect, and with RDO198-1's, I don't know what I will do. I'm afraid my addiction won't allow me to leave the room :eek:.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Likewise I hope your efforts are fruitful.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I'm now wishing I didn't solder everything together on my 2B TL's...
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • inspiredsports
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    I'm now wishing I didn't solder everything together on my 2B TL's...

Meaning the tweeters and mids? I don't think there's much to improve after the crossover mod unless you go from all Sonicaps to Mundorfs on the 5.8 and possibly the 12uf. I actually had a chance to listen to a pair with Mundorfs in the 5.8 spot, and like the warmer Sonicaps there better.
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Face
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I soldered because of the different connectors between the 194 and 198.

And you can still improve from Mundorf caps... ;)
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • inspiredsports
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I soldered because of the different connectors between the 194 and 198.

Ha! and I caught hell for my hack in post #61 at http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74945 when I faced the same obstacle (this rookie isn't as dumb as he sounds :) ). I later found some high quality adapters and replaced the radio shack crap I originally used.
    And you can still improve from Mundorf caps... ;)

Like the plethora of caps photographed in a frying pan on the website I've seen F1 post (can't find my bookmark right now) ?
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Face
    edited February 2009
    Options
  • inspiredsports
    edited February 2009
    Options

Thanks. That's the link! I won't forget it again.
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2009
    Options

I don't think I can take this guy seriously. I mean he hasn't even tested the Dayton's:confused:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • inspiredsports
    edited February 2009
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I don't think I can take this guy seriously. I mean he hasn't even tested the Dayton's:confused:

Yeah, but he tested the Duelund CAST Copper Capacitor. I thought, heck, what if I got a couple 5.8uf's to finish my SDA SRS 2 "TL" mod instead of the $14 each Sonicaps I have coming tomorrow.

Well, they only come in 5.6, and they're only $450 . . . . EACH!
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • ben62670
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I have driven cars that cost less than that:eek:!!! I am driving one now:o
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • inspiredsports
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I have driven cars that cost less than that:eek:!!! I am driving one now:o

Ditto. My wife and girls get the good cars. My caravan turns 16 on Monday and is worth 1 of those caps. I did buy it new in 1993 and it was worth a few more caps then :)

Caravan-1.jpg
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Face
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I'm not sure if Daytons compare to a majority of them.

Before he published his review, in a email I asked him about the Claritycap MR's and Dayton caps. His response included his impressions of the MR's(which mirrored mine), but he left out anything about Dayton.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Well, they only come in 5.6, and they're only $450 . . . . EACH!

Actually, Duelund will make just about any size cap value you want.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• inspiredsports
    edited February 2009
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Actually, Duelund will make just about any size cap value you want.

I figured as much, just being a little facetious. Those better be some fine sounding caps!

I think Ben was being a little sarcastic also about the Daytons.
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Face
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Well, Solen made the list, so I'm a little surprised Dayton(Bennic) isn't on there also.
  • inspiredsports
    edited March 2009
    Options
    5.8uf Sonicaps arrived and I went to desolder, and my old desoldering iron is dead. I'm running to local Radio Shack. Hopefully I can get this done today.
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Systems
    edited March 2009
    Options
    5.8uf Sonicaps arrived
    Are you just swapping the 4.4uf with the 5.8uf?If so I'm guessing the change will be rather subtle as only the response in the top octave will/should be altered.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Disc Jockey
    edited March 2009
    Options
    GV#27 wrote: »
    If so I'm guessing the change will be rather subtle

That would be my guess as well.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • inspiredsports
    edited March 2009
    Options
    GV#27 wrote: »
    Are you just swapping the 4.4uf with the 5.8uf?If so I'm guessing the change will be rather subtle as only the response in the top octave will/should be altered.

As in my post #94 above, Yes.

#####################
    I wrote, "Agreed. In rereading everything over and over today, Matt simply could not have been talking about the 2.0 ohm resistor position. There are three 2.7 ohm resistors on the circuit board and he chose his words to single out the 2.7that was not sequenced with an inductor.

5.8 caps arrive Friday so sometime this weekend I'm going to desolder the 4.4uf cap, solder the 5.8uf in its place, replace just the top tweeter with an RDO198-1, leave the RDO194-1 in the bottom position alone, button it back up and give it a listen.

After a good listen I will swap out the lower 194 with a 198 to see if that yields any improvement."

#####################

However, the RDO198-1's make a HUGE difference in my SDA-2B's so I don't believe the change will be "subtle".
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Systems
    edited March 2009
    Options
    However, the RDO198-1's make a HUGE difference in my SDA-2B's so I don't believe the change will be "subtle".
    My "subtle" remark was only in regards to the capacitance change.Changing drivers is a different matter.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • inspiredsports
    edited March 2009
    Options
    got it!
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Systems
    edited March 2009
    Options
    No worries you won't have damaged the inductor(s).After all they are just coils of varnished copper wire.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • inspiredsports
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I've been listening to my SDA SRS "2.05 TL's" for just over an hour now and have to say I am very, very pleased. The SRS 2's lower treble quantity and quality with the 194's (versus my TL'd SDA-2B's) was really bothering me. That concern is now absolutely gone!

I've dubbed this first mod "2.05 TL" as after changing the 4.4uf bypass cap to a 5.8uf, I have only changed out half (the top position) of the tweeters from RDO194-1's to RDO198-1's. I am still using the RDO194-1 in the lower tweeter position.

I can unequivocally state that this mod (one 5.8uf Sonicap and one RDO198-1 per cabinet) is absolutely "enough" to make anyone contemplating it happy without having to spend the extra dough for all 4 RDO198-1's. :):):)

I want to listen to a lot of different music before the next step which is changing out the lower tweeter to the RDO198-1 and bringing them up to a full SDA SRS "2.1 TL".

I will be doing a lot of side by side listening with my SDA-2B TL's as a reference as I make changes.

###########################

I've included a photo.

NOTE: The 5.8 cap is a bit larger than the 4.4 and you have to be very careful not to exceed diameter of the circuit board by much or you will have trouble reinserting the crossover into the hole in the cabinet as there is very little clearance.
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • ben62670
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Good to hear. Have you done anything with the first resistor? Do you have an SPL meter? You may want to use a signal generator to figure out if the is a dip or bump between the two tweeters. It takes a lot of listening to different music to find a bump or a hole. Many times I have thought I had things figured out, but I drop in another CD, and someting was wrong.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • inspiredsports
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Good to hear. Have you done anything with the first resistor? Do you have an SPL meter? You may want to use a signal generator to figure out if the is a dip or bump between the two tweeters. It takes a lot of listening to different music to find a bump or a hole. Many times I have thought I had things figured out, but I drop in another CD, and someting was wrong.

I have 2 brand new 2.7 ohm Mills Resistors here, but I'm in no rush bump the volume of the circuit up yet. I have a pretty good quality calibrated db meter, and have already been playing with it :)
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • ben62670
    edited March 2009
    Options
    WINisd has a built in sound generator. I do like being able to tweak the XO yourself in home. Its like having a tone control:eek::) I know its very hard to resist, but let those caps burn in for a while before you start playing. This will be a great hands on learning experience for you.
    Take care.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • inspiredsports
    edited March 2009
    Options
    . . . let those caps burn in for a while before you start playing. This will be a great hands on learning experience for you.
    Take care.
    Ben

Exactly, I'm back in that 24/7 burn in mode that I thought I was finished with a couple of weeks ago. 3 hours down, 397 to go :eek:
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Disc Jockey
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I've been listening to my SDA SRS "2.05 TL's" for just over an hour now and have to say I am very, very pleased. The SRS 2's lower treble quantity and quality with the 194's (versus my TL'd SDA-2B's) was really bothering me. That concern is now absolutely gone!

I've dubbed this first mod "2.05 TL" as after changing the 4.4uf bypass cap to a 5.8uf, I have only changed out half (the top position) of the tweeters from RDO194-1's to RDO198-1's. I am still using the RDO194-1 in the lower tweeter position.

I can unequivocally state that this mod (one 5.8uf Sonicap and one RDO198-1 per cabinet) is absolutely "enough" to make anyone contemplating it happy without having to spend the extra dough for all 4 RDO198-1's. :):):)

I want to listen to a lot of different music before the next step which is changing out the lower tweeter to the RDO198-1 and bringing them up to a full SDA SRS "2.1 TL".

I will be doing a lot of side by side listening with my SDA-2B TL's as a reference as I make changes.

That sounds great, congrats!