SDA-2B Crossover Parts List

Options
124»

Comments

• fbm211
    fbm211 Posts: 1,488
    edited October 2011
    Options
    May I suggest you rewire your speakers with neo-tech 18g solid teflon copper.Sonic craft has it.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
    DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
    4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
    DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
    Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited October 2011
    Options
    fbm211 wrote: »
    May I suggest you rewire your speakers with neo-tech 18g solid teflon copper.Sonic craft has it.

A fellow 2BTL owner offering advice? I'm all ears!

What kind of improvement to did you experience after rewiring with the neo-tech?
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thanks, but my inductors are 14 AWG so I won't go smaller than that. You did read post #88 above where Erse technicians wrote that bare naked 14 AWG Romex would suffice?

I will probably end up using some extra multi-stranded David Manley/VTL silver coated oxygen free copper wire I have lying around, but I don't doubt the raw Romex ground would work.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Do not rewire with 18awg, 14 should be a minimum for a rewire. 18awg will act as a bottleneck for the signal and can't hold thesame amount of energy as the 14awg inductor. If the inductors are 14awg go with an equivalent or greater wire.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited October 2011
    Options
    You did read post #88 above where Erse technicians wrote that bare naked 14 AWG Romex would suffice?
    I remember Sam Tellig of Stereophile--back when he was the "Audio Cheapskate"--waxing poetic about Lars' "well wire"; no doubt solid-core house wiring used to power a water pump, re-tasked as speaker cable. Blast from the past.

My "garage system" is using 12-gauge house wire "in wall" as speaker cable.

About the time I start thinking that house wire (copper) ain't cheap any more, I remember what a bargain it is compared to "boutique brand" audiophile copper.
  • fbm211
    edited October 2011
    Options
    OK my fault.
    I meant to say 16awg since that is what polk used and a lot of other long time polkies said would be the right choice.
    I dont know anything about the inductor mod so I'll leave that up to those of who have done it.Your changing the polk design by using different awg wire but maybe using a different inductor requires that so have at it.
    Im not sure if Ill ever do that inductor mod or not.Sounds like a great idea though.

The 16awg neo-tech teflon copper wire did wonders foe the SQ of my 2Bs.Improved the clarity and they just sounded like a sheet was covering them before the rewire.(Must have been that 20+ year old oxidized wire.)I have done other mods to them also like New Eichmann binding posts,cardas IC posts with a DIY IC cable that I terminated with cardas silver spades,xover recap with mundorf resistors,all new mid drivers,and the TL mod,And of course the dynamat mod that did wonders for the midrange.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • inspiredsports
    edited October 2011
    Options
    OK my fault.
    I meant to say 16awg since that is what polk used and a lot of other long time polkies said would be the right choice.
    I dont know anything about the inductor mod so I'll leave that up to those of who have done it.Your changing the polk design by using different awg wire but maybe using a different inductor requires that so have at it.
    Im not sure if Ill ever do that inductor mod or not.Sounds like a great idea though.

The 16awg neo-tech teflon copper wire did wonders foe the SQ of my 2Bs.Improved the clarity and they just sounded like a sheet was covering them before the rewire.(Must have been that 20+ year old oxidized wire.)I have done other mods to them also like New Eichmann binding posts,cardas IC posts with a DIY IC cable that I terminated with cardas silver spades,xover recap with mundorf resistors,all new mid drivers,and the TL mod,And of course the dynamat mod that did wonders for the midrange.

fbm, you live in a COLLEGE TOWN for c##sssake, act like it! :mrgreen:

I've written 2 dozen times I'm using 14 GAUGE, 14 GAUGE, 14 GAUGE inductors.

14 AWG is LARGER than 18 AWG
    14 AWG is LARGER than 16 AWG

Wire Gauge is SMALLER NUMBER = LARGER DIAMETER WIRE.

I need good quality 14 or 12 AWG for my project. ERSE says the bare ground of 14 AWG (or LARGER) Romex is fine.
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • fbm211
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I have 4 -3 foot runs of 14awg T-14 you can have if you want.(DH Labs)
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • inspiredsports
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I have 4 -3 foot runs of 14awg T-14 you can have if you want.(DH Labs)

Very kind! (and I'm just bustin' your chops above).

I've decided I'm going to overkill (as usual) and use the Silver plated OFC Manley/VTL wire I have on hand.
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • inspiredsports
    edited October 2011
    Options
    DK expressed a concern about transient response in audiocre8tive's thread, but I'm now trying to contain the knowledge base and keep it here in my thread. I sent Erse the following.

Reading between the lines, I believe the series technique is important, and 600wrms on the 14AWG (500wrms on the 16AWG) is a real limit.

##################################################

Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 2:11 PM
    To: Jim Smolik
    Subject: Super Q Transient Response

Hi Jim,

Many of us at Club Polk have or are in the process of replacing 18 gauge air core inductors in the 16 to 17mH range with your 16mH 14 AWG or 17mH 16 AWG Super Q's.

Speaker capabilities range from 200 to 1,000 watt power handling capabilitites.

My particluar speakers (used 2 each 8mH 14 AWG to get 16mH) are 500 watt capable.

There has been come concern about saturation during high transient music pieces that would seem to be under your rated threshold, but may burst over for a few milliseconds.

Can you share any info you might have about transient power handling capabilities of the Super Q's ??

Sincerely,
    Greg W
    Email:
    Phone:
    _end of message

#################################################################

Original Message
    Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 4:02 PM
    To: xx
    Subject: RE: Super Q Transient Response

Greg:

YOU will not have a problem with these transient powers. Our 500wrms is based on true RMS continuous power.

The larger the value of inductor the more turns, the more turns the more flux in core. If flux is to [too] high then you could saturate. In your case I think you should be fine.

Thanks,

Jim Smolik
    ERSE Audio
    PH : 440-205-9658
    FAX: 440-205-9659
    email: jim.smolik@erse.cc
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited October 2011
    Options
    DK expressed a concern about transient response in audiocre8tive's thread, but I'm now trying to contain the knowledge base and keep it here in my thread. I sent Erse the following.

Reading between the lines, I believe the series technique is important, and 600wrms on the 14AWG (500wrms on the 16AWG) is a real limit.

##################################################

Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 2:11 PM
    To: Jim Smolik
    Subject: Super Q Transient Response

Hi Jim,

Many of us at Club Polk have or are in the process of replacing 18 gauge air core inductors in the 16 to 17mH range with your 16mH 14 AWG or 17mH 16 AWG Super Q's.

Speaker capabilities range from 200 to 1,000 watt power handling capabilitites.

My particluar speakers (used 2 each 8mH 14 AWG to get 16mH) are 500 watt capable.

There has been come concern about saturation during high transient music pieces that would seem to be under your rated threshold, but may burst over for a few milliseconds.

Can you share any info you might have about transient power handling capabilities of the Super Q's ??

Sincerely,
    Greg W
    Email:
    Phone:
    _end of message

Original Message
    Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 4:02 PM
    To: xx
    Subject: RE: Super Q Transient Response

Greg:

YOU will not have a problem with these transient powers. Our 500wrms is based on true RMS continuous power.

The larger the value of inductor the more turns, the more turns the more flux in core. If flux is to high then you could saturate. In your case I think you should be fine.

Thanks,

Jim Smolik
    ERSE Audio
    PH : 440-205-9658
    FAX: 440-205-9659
    email: jim.smolik@erse.cc

Great stuff! How is everything sounding right now?
  • inspiredsports
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Further, I now have about 100 hours of listening completed, much at higher db levels than normal to really push the bass.

I've pulled out and listened to a lot of bassist heavy stuff (Chris Squire/Yes, Jon Entwistle/Ox/The Who, Beatles/Paul McCarntey, Sting/Police, etc., etc.).

The Erse are not yet hardwired in, but I've heard enough that I'm going to open the cabinets back up and bolt/solder everything in place as I don't believe these will ever saturate within the operating parameters of my ears and the other 2B components.

The quality of the bass coming from these speakers in markedly improved; it's faster, tighter and more engaging.

I'm now very curious to know what top quality air-cores would sound like, but believe this solution is most, if not all the way there for a small ($65 per cabinet) investment.
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels