Amplifier situation...

Toxis
Toxis Posts: 5,116
edited January 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
As you can see in my signature, I have plenty of amplifier power ready to be installed (yes I know, I apparently will never get around to doing it). So what I'm thinking now is to simplify things to motivate me to install it sooner. I will be doing the SR6500's up front with a single SR 12 dvc. I know I'll be stepping down in overall power but here's what I'm thinking. Instead of running 5 amplifiers (one per driver), get one big **** 5ch to run it all. With that said, I'm still looking for overall sound quality but I want to make sure I have enough power for the sub. I am considering two amps at this moment unless others can be suggested. I'm thinking the Polk 1100.5 but worry the 400w won't be enough for the sub or going with the RF "25 to Life" 1000 and putting 600 (most are birth sheeting at 700-750w) to the sub. I had a guy offer to buy my Xtant amp setup for enough money to go into one of the new amps. What are your thoughts?
Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
Post edited by Toxis on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2008
    Personally I like 5 channels as they make installation much easier and neater.

As for which amp to go with - I really do like the new Polk amps. I put em to the test this year and they came thru for me.

Im not familiar with the RF amp youre talking about so I cant really say.

All that aside, 400 is a little low for an SR124.

POLK AUDIO - IF YOURE LISTENING - DITCH THE SVC 4 OHM SUBS IN FAVOR OF 2 OHM DVC SUBS - THIS WOULD MAKE THEM MORE COMPATIBLE WITH A LOT MORE AMPS ON THE MARKET INCLUDING THE PA AMPS.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • rdb2001
    rdb2001 Posts: 791
    edited November 2008
    Toxis wrote: »
    As you can see in my signature, I have plenty of amplifier power ready to be installed (yes I know, I apparently will never get around to doing it). So what I'm thinking now is to simplify things to motivate me to install it sooner. I will be doing the SR6500's up front with a single SR 12 dvc. I know I'll be stepping down in overall power but here's what I'm thinking. Instead of running 5 amplifiers (one per driver), get one big **** 5ch to run it all. With that said, I'm still looking for overall sound quality but I want to make sure I have enough power for the sub. I am considering two amps at this moment unless others can be suggested. I'm thinking the Polk 1100.5 but worry the 400w won't be enough for the sub or going with the RF "25 to Life" 1000 and putting 600 (most are birth sheeting at 700-750w) to the sub. I had a guy offer to buy my Xtant amp setup for enough money to go into one of the new amps. What are your thoughts?

I am using a kicker zx700.5 5 channel amp. It sends 85x4 wpc in 2 ohms and 420x1 in 2 ohm to the sub. I love it. Like Macloed said, it makes installation much easier. It has 3 different gains, crossover and bass boost settings. I am running infinity kappa perfect componenets in both front and rear doors and a kicker comp vr 15 and it powers them with ease. I think a five channel will be good and they are very underrated IMO.
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited November 2008
    i have a brand new in box power 1000 25 to life and that thing is a monster. its a great choice with plenty of power. the birthsheet states 111 watts x 4 into 4 ohms, over 700 watts into 2 ohms and 920 watts into 1 ohm. that sr12 is going to need around 700 watts to get going.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • drinkslurpee
    drinkslurpee Posts: 1
    edited January 2009
    hey rdb2001 I am looking to run just about the same setup you have and looking to buy that same kicker amp... does it have built in cross overs for the amp? i want to hook up components in front as well. any help or tips would be appreciated.