Wires...Can't believe the difference I heard!

organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I was very bored a few days ago and decided to play around with my speaker cables. I always thought speaker cables all sound the same as long as they are of sufficient size and contain high purity copper. Boy was I wrong. My previous set-up had a pair of Pro-Link 12ga for the LF and Accostic Research 16ga for the HF. All I did that night was switch them around. What I heard was almost a day/night difference. First I thought I was hearing things, then I went back to the original wiring and back to the new wiring and heard a difference every time. My LSi now really sings and everything just improved big time.
I know some of you are thinking I'm nuts but I wasn't the only one who heard a difference. My mother used the system the very next day and asked me if I changed anything. She said the bass was much better and vocals sounded more realistic. Now I know I wasn't hearing things. My mom uses my system about 2-3 times a week while I'm at school.
One thing I know for sure now is that the LSi are very sensitive to the components they're hooked up to(yes, even speaker cables).

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited January 2003
    The LSi's are so clean that little tweaks can make a very noticeable difference. They are very source dependant; you can hear the difference each component makes as the signal travels from the source to the speakers. Quality in equal’s quality out. This is why demo's of this line can be very mixed and un-impressive. A $350 Yamaha receiver makes them sound like regular bland source point speakers. A $6000 Conrad-Johnson system makes them sound like a small version of the Dynaudio temptations and you can not source point the drivers. This is why the audiophiles are praising them, because they can hear where their money went. Choose wisely the path of your signal and you will be richly rewarded.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    I'll second everything thats been said. My experience with the LSi line has been that it's many of the little things, and your sources that really count. It's crazy how this stuff works. :p
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited January 2003
    Hey Organ,
    I'm with you about cable options...I am using the Lsi's now...but I even noticed the difference with my Rti's when I upgraded cable and bi-wired...dramatic difference... Always pays to play with the system....
    Peace StuffMD.
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited January 2003
    WOW, you guys are so cool. I was expecting to get more flames than intelligent replies. Now I can't wait for better bi-wire cables(terminated and shielded) and of course my upgrade to seperates. I'm already saving up for te Pioneer VSX-41 receiver and eventually a good 2ch amp.

Maurice
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2003
    Wiring does make a difference....

I thought the LSi9's sounded odd at work today, almost out of phase or something. Opened one up and the negative wire on the top midrange had come loose! DOH! It was fun to see the inside though, they are built really well. Got it all wired up correctly and now they sound great again! Just like the 15's but with less bass.