Sound Stage

POLKOROLLA
POLKOROLLA Posts: 74
edited November 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I tried something new today. I had my tweeters in the sail panels at first. I liked the sound, but the stage still felt on either side of me. I wanted the stage up, and coming at me. I didn't want to put holes in my dash, so i figured out a way to mount my tweeters inside my air vents. I'm not sure if anyone else has ever tried this, but it sounds great to me. Plus it gives it a really stealth feel, with a lot of sound coming at you, but you can't see where it is coming from.
Post edited by POLKOROLLA on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited November 2008
    does your air condition sound louder now? and what if its cold?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • POLKOROLLA
    edited November 2008
    no - i don't get any whistle or anything from the air - i hate heat blowing in my face - so i usually just keep it in the floor and defrost - so i don't think that will be a problem - and they should stay nice and cool come summer
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2008
    As long as you like it, then thats all the matters but that isnt the best spot to put tweeters.

Having them in the vents can not only create a horn like effect but since youre cut off from the cone of the right side tweeter youre only listening to reflections which means cancellation, phase issues and an overall lesser sound quality.

The sail panels is a good spot for width but it kills your depth and your left tweeter can get pretty beamy. The A pillars is usually the best spot. I understand not wanting to cut holes in your dash but what about the A pillars? If you ever need to move them you can always run down to the local junkyard and pick up a replacement set for $25 or so.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • POLKOROLLA
    edited November 2008
    i had thought about the a pillars before i tried this - the only problem i see is the pillars face the windsheild so much - they are really turned in that direction, and it would be hard to mount the tweeters in any good looking manner that wouldn't leave them pointing towards the windsheild