Amp mods?

Options
Pepi28
Pepi28 Posts: 248
edited November 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
:rolleyes:
Just curious, has anyone here ever modified there amps? And if so what were the results. I'm just wondering if it would be worth doing after I finish the crossovers on my speakers?
58" Samsung Plasma (on wall)(calibrated)
LSi15's front (modded xo's)
LSic center
LSiFX's sides
LSi7's rears
Sunfire Sig. 600 amp for 15's
Sunfire Sig. Cinema for C,S&R
Sony ES 3000 pre/pro
SVS 2039 PC Plus sub 12.3 (16hz tune)
PS3
Wii
Signal and Audioquest ic's
12 awg monster speaker-cable (bi-wired)
Belkin PF60 power conditioner
Monster power conditioner for sub
Post edited by Pepi28 on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Do you know what you're doing?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Pepi28
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I guess by your question it is a very difficult thing to do. I haven't really done anything like this before. And the mods that I am currently doing on my speaker crossovers is the first time I'm soldering anything in about 12 yrs. So I guess the answer to your question is "no".
    LSic center
    LSiFX's sides
    LSi7's rears
    Sony ES 3000 pre/pro
    PS3
    Wii
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I have modified my electronics, amps included, and I have felt the results worth while. However, one of the issues you are dealing with is live voltage unlike speaker XOs since capacitors can still hold a charge even once the unit is turned off and unplugged. On my tube amp, I have two caps that hold a voltage of about 230v until discharged; not something you want your fingers in. On the other hand, it isn't practically too much different than XOs since you are just soldering components in and out. Is there something you are specifically looking to improve, on just looking for someway to keep busy like I always am? :D
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Instead of amp modding, you should start making your own amp to tailor your sonic preferences. By the time you finish an amp mod, you basically own a different amp with plenty of $$$ modding in it. So consider it's worth messing with an old amp or just build (buy) a new one. Time cost nothing or something as well as the live voltage could be fatal if you are not hands on messing with the amps for a long time. I've smoked some real good amps in the past.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Pepi28
    edited November 2008
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    I have modified my electronics, amps included, and I have felt the results worth while. However, one of the issues you are dealing with is live voltage unlike speaker XOs since capacitors can still hold a charge even once the unit is turned off and unplugged. On my tube amp, I have two caps that hold a voltage of about 230v until discharged; not something you want your fingers in. On the other hand, it isn't practically too much different than XOs since you are just soldering components in and out. Is there something you are specifically looking to improve, on just looking for someway to keep busy like I always am? :D

Just looking for something to do really. I was also looking at maybe making my own interconnects like a few of the other polkies around here. :D I know that the caps still hold a charge even after being disconnected from a source.
    LSic center
    LSiFX's sides
    LSi7's rears
    Sony ES 3000 pre/pro
    PS3
    Wii
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I think starting on an amp is a good idea because it allowed me to learn piece by piece and not having to start from scratch (which can be very daunting). It you start working on things a piece at a time, soon you'll have learned everything about the amp and may want to build your own (or at least you'll have the knowledge and experience). Sure it can cost a lot depending on what you do, and you may not get out of the mod the money you put into it. But, if knowledge and experience is priceless, it was worth every penny. As far as cables and interconnects go, if you have questions or just want more info, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help. :)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,092
    edited November 2008
    Options
    build a nice kit.