Basic system install. Please give me pointers.

lennytr
lennytr Posts: 2
edited November 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey everyone, I'm new to these forums. I just bought a set of 6.5" DB6501 speakers/tweeter combo, along with rear 4" DB401 speakers, and a 10" MM2104 subwoofer.

I have a 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX.

I installed a Pioneer DEH head unit into my car, and it really wasn't that hard, so I'm pretty confident that I can install this system of components.

The problem is just knowing how everything is supposed to be hooked up. I don't know the logistics of hooking up speakers and subs.

Would someone be willing to give me some pointers on installing this system?
Are the speakers just plug and play? What kind of amplifier is needed to power the subwoofer? The directions mentioned something about a crossover for the speakers...what is a crossover?

Thanks everybody.
Post edited by lennytr on

Comments

• Spartacus
    Spartacus Posts: 1
    edited November 2008
    If you can install the radio and your comfortable taking apart your car then the speakers should be no trouble. Speakers are just plug and go, for the front ones though you need a high frequency crossover, all that does is filter out the low from the hi. So the speakers you put in the door, I believe they're 6.5" will play low frequencies and the highs are filtered out to your tweeters. As far as the amp goes just go to the store and listen to the various subs and the sales associate will tell you which sub and amp combo to get or what goes with what.
  • only126db
    only126db Posts: 157
    edited November 2008
    lennytr wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I'm new to these forums. I just bought a set of 6.5" DB6501 speakers/tweeter combo, along with rear 4" DB401 speakers, and a 10" MM2104 subwoofer.

I have a 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX.

I installed a Pioneer DEH head unit into my car, and it really wasn't that hard, so I'm pretty confident that I can install this system of components.

The problem is just knowing how everything is supposed to be hooked up. I don't know the logistics of hooking up speakers and subs.

Would someone be willing to give me some pointers on installing this system?
    Are the speakers just plug and play? What kind of amplifier is needed to power the subwoofer? The directions mentioned something about a crossover for the speakers...what is a crossover?

Thanks everybody.

If you dont know which speaker wire is positive or negative you will need a digital multimeter with continuity.

Then just make sure you hook up the correct wires to the corresponding leads on the speakers.

For a subwoofer Class D is the easiest on a stock electrical system.

Only look at RMS power the amplifier supplies, just cause the amp says 1000watts on it doesnt mean it puts out 1000rms or even 25 rms.

since you have all Polk, you may as well get a Polk amp to go with it all.