MECA World Finals 2008

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited November 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Always the bride's maid. Yes, thats right - I finished 2nd.....again. I know what youre thinking, "damn, cant you ever win?" but 3 consecutive 2nd place finishes is actually pretty good. This year was the most competitive year yet and I figured I had at best a 3rd maybe 4th. One of the judges got in and CRANKED the volume. I mean he listened with the volume at 34/35! Made me cringe and I just knew it would kill me cause I tune at a volume of 23-25 and those door panels get awful noisey at anything much over 30 but the Polks held together well enough that it didnt hurt me.

The guy who beat me is the guy whos been smacking me around for 2 years now, Kirk Proffitt. He is one of the best in the world and won not only his 4th consecutive world championship this year but also won a world championship in the 2 seat class in a car using stock speaker locations! Thats just insane. The best part is that he beat me by only 1/2 a point! To get that close to one of the best guys in the world is something Im DAMN proud of!

My favorite car there was Steve Cook. Steve is a legend in SPL and holds about a half dozen world records many of which are still standing. He came over to the SQ side this year and built a beautiful Avalanche with about 20,000 watts! A pair of Incriminator Audio 18's getting 10,000 watts each. Yes, 10,000 watts each! This thing will do nearly 155 db at the headrest at 30 Hz!!!!!! Best of all, it sounds great too! The high part of the show was when he had "You dropped the bomb on me" playing in it at about 130 db. It was like a ride at Disney Land. People would jump in and listen then jump out for the next one and they were lined up. It was awesome!

The Polk SR's did awesome and proved once again they can tangle with the most expensive speakers out there and more than hold their own. In my class were Dynaudio, Hertz, Audio Technology, Alpine PDX and Zapco and the humble Polk SR's and PA amps came within 1/2 a point of winning the whole shebang. Not too shabby for some lowly Circuit City speakers.

I cant wait til next year. Ive already got a lot of ideas Im wanting to try. Maybe something along the lines of an aperiodic enclosure for the SR's. I cant wait!

I didnt get any pictures because Im a lazy bastid but others did so Im gonna wait til they get theirs up and steal them. :D Ill post them up as soon as I find them.
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited November 2008
    congrats man. for 1 - competing. and 2 - for winning second place.
  • tk421
    edited November 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Kirk Proffitt. He is one of the best in the world and won not only his 4th consecutive world championship this year but also won a world championship in the 2 seat class in a car using stock speaker locations! Thats just insane.

for real! how the heck can he do that? my stock locations could never do that.

are they angled? they can't be time aligned if it's 2-seat, right?
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2008
    You can use time alignment but it will be different than youre 1 seat setting. Generally one side will be just a little left of center while the other side will be way right center but if you get the tonality great, the left and right stage good and you keep the center focused, you wont get docked that many points for having an off center image. It aint easy but Kirk is a great tuner that has been doing this since the 90's and he's got several thousand dollars worth of Zapco gear and processing. Ya got the tools, ya got the talent, ya get the results. ;)
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited November 2008
    congrats man! Great to hear. Well, read at least. Wish I could hear the ol' ride but you're too far away. lol
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • only126db
    only126db Posts: 157
    edited November 2008
    Congrats.....

Looks like Zapco was out in force and put in some work in the SQL.
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited November 2008
    woow men, you are already a legend, and come on, for us you are the number 1, and you know it.

I also want to compete here in mexico, with my SRs, but MECA is no longer here, so im going to go with IASCA, and just to prove that polk can do it, this would be my first time and last. but i just want to prove a point. (here all the SQL have more than 2 speakers)
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited November 2008
    Gongrats... Glad to hear of another great success story. 1/2 a point away from being world champ sounds pretty impressive to me!
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2008
    Found a couple videos.

This is an SPL'er playing around. "The Old Double Hair Trick."

Several other videos on that page as well from the SPL lanes.

Here are a few pics Ive found off various sites. Not too many photographers in the SQ lanes apparently. Oh well, got some cool SPL setups tho.

Steve Cook's Avalanche. This is the one from the mutli world record holder that hits 153 DB at 30 Hz and sounds great too!

2qv5g2a.jpg

2ngwpki.jpg

2prwjfa.jpg

5plnc1.jpg

vd0npw.jpg

23hakr9.jpg

skuvpy.jpg

2zf8l5y.jpg

My personal favorite. Me getting my 5 foot trophy!

9gfpxx.jpg

If I run across any other cool pics Ill throw them up here as well.

• black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for sharing the pics...

5plnc1.jpg

I wonder if this amp ever over heats when the rack is tucked in. :confused:
  • tk421
    edited November 2008
    ^^ no.. he will have fans installed
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2008
    My setup is going to be the same way. Fortunately, my amps dont get very hot at 0% gain :) Plus, I will have an intake and exhaust fan, I'm sure he has something similar.

Congrats Macleod! Don't know how I missed this thread. You need to get an alarm on your car installed if you dont have one already, $150 for a basic alarm can potentially save you hundreds of dollars and a lot of heartache.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2008
    Yeah I do need one but I spend all my spare cash on hitting shows. My first show of next season probably wont be until February so Ive got some time to save some but Im going to tinker around with my install some and try some new things.

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2008
    Wow, I missed this, too. But that is awesome! Congrats!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • only126db
    edited November 2008
    MacLeod where did you lose points @ compared to 1st place?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2008
    That's one hell of a port!

2zf8l5y.jpg

And that's one ghetto voltage meter rig and if those are power distribution blocks...yeah. If it works, great but I don't know how that could be efficient. He must get a ton of cabin gain.

And this guy:

23hakr9.jpg

Rockin' the Parts Expresse flared port tubes! I love those tubes! All the power of a slot loaded port but need 30% less space.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2008
    Yeah those SPL setups aint pretty but they sure do slam. All those guys are in the 150's at the headrest which is maybe 160's in DB Drag or USACi.

only126db wrote: »
    MacLeod where did you lose points @ compared to 1st place?

My main problem was in sub bass. While 2 judges scored it high, the 3rd thought it was a little too heavy and unrealistic so he docked me in sub bass but also in linearity and dynamics. I actually agree with him. I have a tendency to think more bass is better bass and while Im getting better at it, all it takes is one picky judge that wants total realism, and Ill get nailed and rightfully so. It has to be accurate and sound just like a guy with a stand up bass guitar is playing on my dash.

Another snag was the high frequencies. Im having trouble getting my left tweeter to blend with everything else so its kinda **** the highs up. Not anything major - Im still scoring in the 8's but if I want to play with the big dawgs, Im gonna have to get that up to about 9.

Imaging wise, Im pretty close. Ive got really good width and a pretty strong center. If I can clean it up a little more, smooth out the sub and get the tweeters are working together I think I might have a little something.

I also need to do some more deadening. While I sound good at moderate volumes, you crank it up really good and my trim panels start singing the blues!

• thumpin07
    thumpin07 Posts: 217
    edited November 2008
    Great job mac keep up the good work
    tyler birch

ht system
    denon avr-1907
    monitor 70 towers-polkaudio
    nakamichi bx -100 tape deck
    sony 5 disc cd/dvd player hdmi ready
    velodyne dps-12 subwoofer

Car audio

AMP: FUSION EN-AM8001 800 watts max 368 watts rms x 1 channel @ 2 ohms stable
    SUB: 12 INCH 1000W DVC VOLFENHAG 2 Ohm stable useable ohms 2-8ohms
  • only126db
    edited November 2008
    Yeah those SPL setups aint pretty but they sure do slam. All those guys are in the 150's at the headrest which is maybe 160's in DB Drag or USACi.

My main problem was in sub bass. While 2 judges scored it high, the 3rd thought it was a little too heavy and unrealistic so he docked me in sub bass but also in linearity and dynamics. I actually agree with him. I have a tendency to think more bass is better bass and while Im getting better at it, all it takes is one picky judge that wants total realism, and Ill get nailed and rightfully so. It has to be accurate and sound just like a guy with a stand up bass guitar is playing on my dash.

Another snag was the high frequencies. Im having trouble getting my left tweeter to blend with everything else so its kinda **** the highs up. Not anything major - Im still scoring in the 8's but if I want to play with the big dawgs, Im gonna have to get that up to about 9.

Imaging wise, Im pretty close. Ive got really good width and a pretty strong center. If I can clean it up a little more, smooth out the sub and get the tweeters are working together I think I might have a little something.

I also need to do some more deadening. While I sound good at moderate volumes, you crank it up really good and my trim panels start singing the blues!

What processor/processors do you use?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2008

What's your crossover point for the sub and the full range speakers? Do you know what your frequency response falloff rate is?

It's been my experience that while you want to keep your sub crossed over as low as possible, if your full range speakers don't dig all that deep, say to 45 Hz, and you cross over your sub at 50 Hz, your frequency falloff might be too rapid and you get a dip that is just large enough to notice but not be able to pinpoint. Usually if you go up to 55 Hz or 60 Hz on the sub, for example, you don't hurt your performance that much and you can get rid of that dip that takes away the "realistic" aspect.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2008
    My sub is cut off at 40 Hz at 30 db/octave and my mids are also cut off at 40 Hz @ 30 db/octave.

The SR6500 mids will get down to 40 with no problem at all so it wasnt so much a problem with that it was just that I had the overall all 40-63 Hz range a little too hot. I personally like it better this way as it will fatten up kick drums really well but it makes a stand up bass which is used in jazz a ton too boomy and unrealistic.

The MECA SQ disc has a TON of stand up bass tracks and only 2 tracks with kick drums and thats actually ok with me as its a lot harder to accurately reproduce a stand up bass IMO. The most realistic setting is with the mid cut off at 63 Hz @ 24 db/oct but it makes the drum tracks too thin so Im going to have to find that happy medium.

The 40 Hz cutoff point for the sub is just right. Since the SR mids can play down so low I want to keep as much coming from the front as possible and getting the sub any higher than 45 and you can start to localize it.

Im using the Alpine H700 processor. Its the same thing as the 701 other than some display features.

• rdb2001
    rdb2001 Posts: 791
    edited November 2008
    I just wanted to say congradulations and to ask what type of box are you using for your subs.
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2008
    Thanks!

Im using the box Polk recommends - 1.25 ft3. Actually it came out to 1.27 ft3 but close enough. ;)

Works like a charm. Lets the SR124 play very flat all the way down to 20 Hz. So much so that my sub EQ is set to flat all the way across.

• only126db
    edited November 2008
    Thanks!

Im using the box Polk recommends - 1.25 ft3. Actually it came out to 1.27 ft3 but close enough. ;)

Works like a charm. Lets the SR124 play very flat all the way down to 20 Hz. So much so that my sub EQ is set to flat all the way across.

You said your 40-63 hz was "too hot", I wonder if you bumped up the box size another .05 - .08 cu ft if that would tone down that area?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2008
    From the little I've played with the sub, on my RTA, increasing the box size would bring a spike in the 40-55 Hz area, and start to tone everything above that down. We ended up making the box at 1.2 cubic feet, but every car is different.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2008
    The problem is in my mids. Its an easy fix, simply massaging those frequencies on the EQ some. Its just a matter of finding that perfect blend of plenty of energy without being too overbearing and still sounding realistic.

• thumpin07
    thumpin07 Posts: 217
    edited November 2008
    hey mac ive got a question, What do you think bout jbl's car audio speakers, are they any good.
    tyler birch

ht system
    denon avr-1907
    monitor 70 towers-polkaudio
    nakamichi bx -100 tape deck
    sony 5 disc cd/dvd player hdmi ready
    velodyne dps-12 subwoofer

Car audio

AMP: FUSION EN-AM8001 800 watts max 368 watts rms x 1 channel @ 2 ohms stable
    SUB: 12 INCH 1000W DVC VOLFENHAG 2 Ohm stable useable ohms 2-8ohms
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2008
    I think they can be. Gary Biggs won a bushel of SQ world championships with them. However I dont know personally anybody that is currently using JBL for anything other than subs in the SQ lanes.

I think so long as you start out with a quality set of speakers, their potential is limited by the tuner.

• only126db
    edited November 2008
    thumpin07 wrote: »
    hey mac ive got a question, What do you think bout jbl's car audio speakers, are they any good.

http://manuals.harman.com/articlefiles/JBL/CAR/JBL%20MS8%20and%20Team%20JBL%20at%202007%20Spring%20Break%20Nationals.pdf