what do you guys think of Alpine SPR-17S's?

ilikesound
ilikesound Posts: 355
edited November 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm curious to see if they're any good. They sounded nice in the store the other day, very warm sounding, pretty tame in the treble. Opinions?
At Home:
Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
Pioneer VSX-80TXV
Toshiba HD-XA2
Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
Panamax 4300EX
Polk RTi8's
Polk CSi3's
Polk FXi3's. (x2)
Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
JVC HDR-50
stock system in new car for now:(
Post edited by ilikesound on

Comments

• Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited November 2008
    Ive heard good things about them, but i would rather buy the Polk MM or the type X
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited November 2008
    Type-X vs MOMO subs and all....which one is better for the money?
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited November 2008
    MOMO in my own opinion with my ears. A type-x is going to require some power for it to sound good.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited November 2008
    i like the type x way better.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • JoshParsons84
    edited November 2008
    See, I already have an Alpine CDA-9831 deck, Alpine PDX-4.100 4-channel amp, Alpine PDX-1.1000 mono amp, notice a pattern? Anyways my Bostons up front are in kick panels and I keep kicking them. I don't wanna damage them as I'll save them for an F-body (Camaro or Trans Am) when I get one. I'm gonna replace them with 5.25" in the doors and was thinking about MOMO but are the Type-X better? I'd be replacing my Boston SPG555 sub also.
  • Kinetic
    edited November 2008
    Type-X vs MOMO subs and all....which one is better for the money?

I would like to say the Type X, i love those subs, not more than may SR, but still very impressive
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • Kinetic
    edited November 2008
    See, I already have an Alpine CDA-9831 deck, Alpine PDX-4.100 4-channel amp, Alpine PDX-1.1000 mono amp, notice a pattern? Anyways my Bostons up front are in kick panels and I keep kicking them. I don't wanna damage them as I'll save them for an F-body (Camaro or Trans Am) when I get one. I'm gonna replace them with 5.25" in the doors and was thinking about MOMO but are the Type-X better? I'd be replacing my Boston SPG555 sub also.

read my signature, i also have that patron, but not in speakers, becouse for me, the Polk speakers, sound more natural than all the other brands,

the only brand that i think sounds as natural as Polk, are the Morel, but i would choose polk again for the value.
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • JoshParsons84
    edited November 2008
    Hey I hear ya on the Alpine electronics. See all I listen to is heavy metal - 36 Crazyfists to Coheed & Cambria and Breaking Benjamin stuff like that Lamb Of God really fast metal Pantera, Slayer to stuff like W.A.S.P., Iron Maiden, K.I.S.S. and stuff like Bon Jovi Cinderella Tom Petty all rock though. My girl likes rap and r&b also. But mostly rock and heavy metal will be played through these speakers. The Polks still it?
  • ilikesound
    edited November 2008
    wow, ok. i was on a budget when i walked into the store this evening that's the ONLY reason i asked about the alpines. ended up getting the type R component set for the fronts that would replace the Infinity Kappa's I originally had in there. a JL W1 replaced the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 sub that was there to begin with. system doesn't sound bad at all, though the bass is a bit overbearing. Also had to modify the door to get the tweeters to fit as they were HUGE! nice small xovers though. but i can't wait for the day that i pick up some SR's...
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
  • ilikesound
    edited November 2008
    honestly joshparsons, i like the midbass of the alpines for metal. that's just my personal opinion so far. was rocking the MOMO's before in my other car.
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
  • JoshParsons84
    edited November 2008
    ilikesound wrote: »
    honestly joshparsons, i like the midbass of the alpines for metal. that's just my personal opinion so far. was rocking the MOMO's before in my other car.

Really? See being a rock/metal guy I like a lot of midbass ya know? What about the tweeters? Were they like a "real" cymbal?
  • ilikesound
    edited November 2008
    well the alpine's use a ring radiator tweeter and they sound really spacious, without being over-exagerated in the seperation department. nice and crystal clear at high volumes and the set seems to produce a better, more pronounced 2khz "click" than the momo's did. woofer and tweeter actually work very well together, and don't seem as seperated as the momo's did in my other whip. bass drums and toms have the "UMPH" i've been elusively tracking for so long with the other car, and certain guitar passages have a certain "microphone" quality to them, as if i can hear the sound of the actual microphone used to record them. Maybe it's just me being weird, some silly window reflections, or perhaps it's the change of my environment, but i'm growing quite fond of them every passing day i blast black metal coming out of the parking garage at work. I don't think the toll guy likes me anymore...

like i said, they're no SR's, but in this particualar circumstance, i don't know what i'd really gain by switching to anything less than the SR's. *which, I can't afford to do right now.* These seemed like the best choise because i needed components, and needed to not so much spend 500 bucks on them for the time being. my infinity kappas are on sale along with a 10'' perfect 10, if anyone's interested, though!:rolleyes:
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)