Speaker down!! I repeat -- speaker down!!

Options
Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited November 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I accidentally broke the binding posts on one of my speakers. I figured it would be a simple fix -- WRONG! The damn thing is glued, screwed, and subdued. Plus, a few crossover components are affixed to the post. Even the manufacturer said I'd have a hard time replacing it. I need to call an expert 'cause a broken speaker is like a songbird with laryngitis.

{vent mode on} -- Why the hell put cheap **** binding posts on supposedly high quality gear?? I stepped on the speaker cable and it broke off at the metal part of the post, not the plastic part (see pic). WTF??? {vent mode off}
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    edited November 2008
    Options
    WTF! Vent mode highly appropriate, in this case, IMO! I hope you find a fix.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2008
    Options
    That sucks.

I have some of those binding posts laying around, let me know if you want one and I ll drop it in the mail.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I've got some spares(vampire) and odds/ends, let me know if you need one or two--george
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Code Blue

BTW the auto correction on this board sucks, can't make it caps. But I still around the members here make up for any BS here. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I could Fedex you a 6 pack of beer, let me know.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,855
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Looks like a real Mickey Mouse job. What speakers are those? I want to make sure I never buy any.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2008
    Options
    what speakers are those?
    vmps
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • F1nut
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Thanks.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Early B.
    edited November 2008
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Looks like a real Mickey Mouse job. What speakers are those? I want to make sure I never buy any.

Smart ****.;)

If you got the balls, open up your speakers, take a few pics of the guts, and post it here so we can assess the build quality.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Well any progress?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • F1nut
    edited November 2008
    Options
    LOL...I think I have posted pics before, but if not I'm sure we all know what the insides of SDA's look like.

That looks like a **** of a job, good luck.

President of Club Polk

• HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Most of this type issue stems from the larger wire requirements. The hole in the binding post is so large that there is little wall on the threaded post and it's very weak. I use banana connectors whenever possible because of this.
    Good luck on the fix.
    Harry
  • Early B.
    edited November 2008
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    LOL...I think I have posted pics before, but if not I'm sure we all know what the insides of SDA's look like.

You got SDA's? My goodness, what a POS. Low quality parts throughout. Remind me never to buy them. :eek::p:eek:

• Early B.
    edited November 2008
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Well any progress?

No. I need your help on this one. Plus, I need your assistance in running another dedicated line. I bought the supplies today.

I'll call you tomorrow afternoon.

• Early B.
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I've got some spares(vampire) and odds/ends, let me know if you need one or two--george

I'll take you up on your offer, George. Thanks! I'll call you tomorrow, as well.

• F1nut
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Early B. wrote: »
    You got SDA's? My goodness, what a POS. Low quality parts throughout. Remind me never to buy them. :eek::p:eek:

Eh, I can change the binding posts with no problem. ;)

President of Club Polk

• ben62670
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Hey man if you are going to Georges let me know. I want in on this trip. It's a week earlier than we planned, but we can fix it at my place?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Early B.
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Hey man if you are going to Georges let me know. I want in on this trip. It's a week earlier than we planned, but we can fix it at my place?

Nope. I want you to come here on Monday or Tuesaday evening, if possible.

• ben62670
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I have the kids a lot this week. Monday, and Tuesday are out for sure. I'll scratch my head a bit. I did call your new phone, and left a message.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Early B.
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I have the kids a lot this week. Monday, and Tuesday are out for sure. I'll scratch my head a bit. I did call your new phone, and left a message.
    Ben

OK, I gotta figure out how to retrieve a message on this phone. Give me a moment...

(scratches head a bit...)

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited November 2008
    Options
    :confused: Third pic, lower right....................why does the wood look like it's been smoldering? Your doing..............trying to do the repair or the x-over doing........going up in smoke?

GL...........looks like a challenge
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,560
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Looks like wood reworking is in order. The way they framed around the connections
    means you'll have to separate the pieces to get to it. The
    blackened part looks like someone had to squeeze a soldering iron in close.
    I'd pry it apart before even starting. IT looks like a little black spray paint
    on the back side before buttoning up should hide your handywork.
    PITA for sure. Good luck. I think Ben can handle it. Just keep him away
    from any accelerants.:D
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Hey EarlyB,

Here's some information that might your help your speaker problems.

contactbar.gif

Ask for Emerald Physics and tell him Mike sent you. . .
  • ben62670
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Well I just got back from the simple binding posts change:rolleyes: He said it would be tough. I laughed to myself:D Then I was there for a while:o Then a while longer:( Toward the end:mad: but we finished:cool: I will not tell you how long it took, but what a friggen nightmare. After spending a bit of time visiting we did finally get to listen to some tunes. I tell you what those tube amps he has did change any reservations about the ability of a tube amp to reproduce snappy, fast, hard hitting bass. I never expected what I heard. Those tube amps teamed with a Placete Passive Pre, and a modded tubed CD player absolutely blew my mind!
    We did not get to adding the separate circuits. We ran out of gas.That will be a project for another day;)

Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Early B.
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Well I just got back from the simple binding posts change:rolleyes: He said it would be tough. I laughed to myself:D Then I was there for a while:o Then a while longer:( Toward the end:mad: but we finished:cool: I will not tell you how long it took, but what a friggen nightmare.

Here's the final pic of the binding posts from hell... Everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Anyway, the job is done and I gotta thank Ben for his patience and persistence.

P.S. -- when my speakers were built it was a good marketing ploy for manufacturers to say their speakers are wired internally with Monster, but we ran into some problems with it.

• SolidSqual
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Hey, that's pretty damn good looking. You gonna replace the posts on the other speaker as well?
  • Early B.
    edited November 2008
    Options
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    Hey, that's pretty damn good looking. You gonna replace the posts on the other speaker as well?

Hell, no!!!

• SolidSqual
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Early B. wrote: »
    Hell, no!!!

Wow you really have changed . . . the non-uniformity would bug the hell out of me. I would have broken everyone of the binding posts off to put new ones on.
  • ben62670
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I brought over an extra set of post to do the other speaker, and I really wanted to do it, but after what we went through it is not going to be done anytime soon. That job put a hurtin on me!
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Early B.
    edited November 2008
    Options
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    Wow you really have changed . . . the non-uniformity would bug the hell out of me. I would have broken everyone of the binding posts off to put new ones on.

SS -- you must be suffering from a temporary case of ADD. This thread is about the binding posts that seemed attached to the devil's ****. It took an act of God to replace them. Now do you want me to go through that experience three more times?