Help! My LSiC may be defective...

DAlba
DAlba Posts: 124
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I cannot hear anything from the left side midrange driver. I know that they are each filtered different but I don' think any sound is coming from it.

I played a test tone from my receiver and unhooked the highpass bi-wire cable so just the mids were playing but it still didn't sound like sound was coming out of it. I quess it could just be because the filter was rolling off the test tone frequency. How do I tell for sure if the driver is bad.

Can ya'll hear both mids while playing a test tone?
Post edited by DAlba on

Comments

• DAlba
    edited January 2003
    Are mid drivers in seperate chambers. I see movement on the left speaker but that could just be from the other driver unless they are seperate...
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited January 2003
    try switching left speaker to the right, if it the same, its in your receiver or source, if the problem gose the the right ,you mite have lose speaker wire, or a lose wire inside the speaker, or a blown med driver.
    just switch speaker cables on the receiver right to left
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • DAlba
    edited January 2003
    The LSiC is a center channel speaker so I can't switch left to right. I guess I will end up having to pull out the driver to test it...
  • joe logston
    edited January 2003
    ok switch center with the right speaker and check to see if the problem still going on, just long enought to find out, and one of the the two drivers roll off more than the other, they do that in the cs400i through the crossover i think its that way on the lsi-cs to
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited January 2003
    The driver on the left is for the mids, and the driver on the right is for bass, per the crossover. You will see movement from one and not necessarily the other, same with the 400 as joe mentioned.

Switching the drivers will tell you if the problem is driver related, or if it's intenal to the wiring. As for if its the center, try another speaker as your center and see if you get the tone that you're looking for from the receiver. If you have bad internal wiring on the center, just switching the left and right drivers doesn't necessarily indicate receiver problems.......

Also, if you haven't had it all that long, I'd look into exahanging it if swapping the drivers doesn't work. Depends on how long you've had it.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • DAlba
    edited January 2003
    Well I took the driver out and it is working. Polk just has it filtered really low. Thanks for the help guys.
  • joe logston
    edited January 2003
    dalba, you want to try somrthing , try standing your center speaker on end with the right sub driver to the top, this is the right way to set your speakers, would you lay tower speaker on it side. no! i hop not see what i mean, i know that im going to get brunt by the polksters. but i have to tell you, at least try it and see how it opens your sound stage you have to play with the positioning of center to the mains till right, and you will hear the improvement.

go to polks (systems showcase), then go to joe logston and find the pic. of my center and thats the way i go with the center.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub