New Momo Amps...

DAlba
DAlba Posts: 124
edited December 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
When should we expect to find these bad boys in store?
Post edited by DAlba on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited January 2003
    I'm curious as well when the MOMO amps will be out and Who are they made by....and some specs..... prices would be good too!
    I know- we dont ask for much

any thought of bringing the tear drop tweeters/mids back..they were cool!!!!!!
    thougth i'd throw that in

Peace out:o
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2003
    polk amps huh ---- 5 yrs ago i was saying "polk needs to build amps as well as they build speakers"...

now they finally do -- this is a good thing.

who got the skuttlebutt going on this bit of news? anywhere to get an article on it?
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • DAlba
    edited January 2003
    They had prototypes at CES. They looked alright. Had some Carbon Fiber crap on it. I just hope they come out with a high-end Momo line that looks as cool as the Momo speakers. Also must sound as good as my Alpine and have a remote like the Alpine as well. Something new and innovative would be a plus too.
  • DAlba
    edited January 2003
    Justin has some CES pics on the "Off Topic" forum.

New Amps
    http://www.polkaudio.com/justin/ces2003/DSCN1417.jpg
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2003
    is the 6x9 covering up a momo logo on the amp or does it not say it?
    and is it me or does that look like 15s in the left corner and the design on the cone is different?
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2003
    i told you so i told you so i frickin told you so --- momo 6x9's... i figured they'd bring those around after a while. well then its settled... I'm buying new highs when those come out --- momo 6.5 comp in front, momo 6x9 in back... then i'll be "momo-fied".

I dont like the look of the amps, but hey - its only a pic.. might look cool in person.

ya those do look like 15's dude... looks like polk is finally going to "take off" with this line... wider variety of subs, new amps, and a coaxial momo.... i dig it.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2003
    hopefully its the pic
    i was kinda thinking the same thing
    i want to see the big MOMO with the arrow across the whole thing
    but thats just me
    damn gmc for putting 4x6s in the back
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2003
    ya looks like they got the logo that's like...

--POLK--
    -MOMO-

on there... with the polk over black and the momo over red... kinda looks like an mtx sub from far away with the pic blurred if you took the grille off it.

4x6 = jig saw... cut that sucker out. if they have a 6x9 coax, they'llmake a 6.5 or 5.25 coax... just trim that sucker.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2003
    actualy...I hope they sound better then they look. unfortunatly..like the speakers...its the other way around. I'm looking for good stuff from polk....hopefully this may be it:lol:
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2003
    ya but you know what's gonna happen thomas(as far as subs go)... its going to be hyped and pumped, and then it'll come out and something really obvious will go wrong... it's always something... first it was tinsel leads snapping, this year its surrounds... next it'll be that they accidentally put plutonium in the voice coil and every owner is now dead of a small nuclear explosion.

funny thing is though -- they still sound really good(andy they have warranty)... if i want' so power hungry i'd have them by now.

my guess is the momo coaxials will end up being pretty darn close to what the DB coaxials were... probably biamp-able too. which is not a bad thing, i like that grade of gear... but i'll throw a fit if they're more than 239.99 per pair...

the amp i'm going to be really skeptical of -- i'd like to know who designed it... what Taiwanese factory is building it, and what the quality control is on internal IC parts... etc etc etc...

I alsmost half expcted to see an alpine mrd-500 with a spray painted momo logo on it when this thread was first posted... i'm quite glad to see that is not the case... here's hopin with ya for somethin new and exciting :)
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by sntnsupermen131
    hopefully its the pic
    i was kinda thinking the same thing
    i want to see the big MOMO with the arrow across the whole thing
    but thats just me
    damn gmc for putting 4x6s in the back
    -Cody

Momo 4"x6" plate will be part of the line, too...
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2003
    id rather not drill
    id mess it up
    and im not going to pay anyone to do it
    lol
    ill wait for the 4x6s in june or whenever
    if we cant get any specs can we at least get some more pics?
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2003
    Hey Paul -- dont hold our breath till June? -- JUNE IS SOOON!!!!! --- I was expecting since they were a protytype show item that it would be more like a year / year and a half before we even saw them near a store shelf --- JUNE IS QUICK!!!

I'm glad, very glad, to hear that polk designed the amp(s) themselves... the "Home theatre in a box" with the Polk Audio designed amp is absolutely stunning... my buddy has it (I can't afford it .... yet) and it just drips with clarity and power. We watch "Saving Private Ryan" and scare the neighbors into thinking there's a small Guerrila war next door. Might is be the same plant that put together this amp/receiver that'll be working on the MM amp?

regarding the external crossovers on the coaxials -- will they be "pre-put together" ones similar to that on alpine type R coaxials, where the wire is pretty much permanently set in the crossover with no DB adjustment for the mid/tweet.. or will it be something like the DB/DX/Momo component crossover wwhere it's got screw terminals and has an adjustment? (hopin for the screw/adjustment).

If they frequency range is good enough on the 8's and they come out in an 8 ohm design (or dual 4) i'll finally be able to finish my front stage.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2003
    Paul... I see no comment about the Tear drop tweeters? They before your time??? :)

peace...:lol:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    http://www.caliber.nl/html/products.htm

Not saying anything, just a link.... ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • DAlba
    edited January 2003
    Hey Paul I found your "Spy". Seize Him!

Anyway, I commend Polk for actually responding to this post. Most manufactures don't tell you squat about future products. I am surprised to hear you say June as well but I am not holding my breath.

I am glad to see a well rounded line up. I hope it is very successful. I don't care to much for 15" but if it helps get the Polk name out more power to you. I hope to see 6-1/2 coaxials as well.

Seriously though, the amps need some work IMHO. Not enough wow factor like the subs.

Can you say what class the amps are?
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2003
    Yes Paul...I was a fan of the Tear Drop tweeters.... Wish I had a set now..since I could probably take better advantage of them (more experience)........
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2003
    ya, you really do get that "this stuff belongs in a jaguar" feel from the current momo gear and especially from the shot of what's to come in june... that's cool though... it's a helluva lot better than afore mentioned "Ricer" gear...

if i see another integra rollin on Enkei rims with alpine and nakamachi, i'm going to hurl.

even tho i like more the "this stuff belongs in a muscle car" look (mainly because i have a truck), euro-sexy close enough :)

Just call me Stove Top Stuffing -- the anti-Rice ....lolol...:D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2003
    well i sold my jbl 600.1 yesterday which has been powering up my 12 in polk. Im just hoping that these amps measure up . and i was just wondering what the specs of the new amps would be .
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2003
    600.1's 300 x 1 @ 4 ohms dude... from the tag on the display picture there the new momo amp (least that particular one) is 250 x 2 at 2 ohms... so that's 500 x 1 bridged... (assuming the production model will be the same power).

i'd say that about measures up.

speakin of amps -- i've been hounding the circuit city guys about the new mtx amps coming out... one store's got one of the 1004's -- the 125 x 4 @ 4 ohm jobber... and they said it pales in comparison to the 81000D... falling a good deal short of its power rating... that just about made me cry... i was hopin to get a 1000 watt AB amp from them.

anywho -- new RFL amps are supposed to be coming out.. a 2000 x 1 and a 4000 x1 (at 1 ohm !!! weee heee!!!!) i just hope the THD is under 90% (yes i said 90% knock knock mtx).
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by "Polk" Paul DiComo
    I have been here 20 years so there isn't much that is before my time. I certainly do remember the teardrop tweeters. They apparently had some real fans.

Oh wow! The teardrop tweeter was one of the reasons I bought Polk home audio just last year. I was a teenager when I heard them, now I'm "thirty-ish". :) Who knew that first impression would cost me thousands later in life?!

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2004
    Yay!

Somebody else on this side thats over 30! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D