Das Boot

schumach
schumach Posts: 199
edited October 2001 in Music & Movies
Has anyone seen Das Boot on DVD? Is it worth getting?
Post edited by schumach on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2001
  • schumach
    edited October 2001
    This is a classic WW II movie.
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited October 2001
    Well, this movie is suppose to be a very good according to my friends....they have recommended me to see it but i never had the chance yet...i hope their taste is the same as mine......the movie is suppose to be very long and it was a German film with English subtitles...........and they say....the movie was better than U-571.......so if you have the chance to rent or buy it.....please give us your own review.......

dc.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2001
    It's MORE than a classic WWII movie. It's a gritty, VERY realistic look into German U-boat operations. It will NOT please those looking for special effects and hoopla. It WILL please those that enjoy an outstanding, intelligent film that provides insight into human drama. "Das Boot", for the linguistically challenged, quite simply translates to, "The Boat".

It IS long, it IS in German with English sub-titles, and may even be in black and white. It features NO American film idols. The only person who MAY be recognizable to some, is Jurgen Proctow, an excellent actor of German descent.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • schumach
    edited October 2001
    I have seen the movie a few times, and it has got to be one of the best movies I have seen. Like George said it is long, but it will leave you with a feeling like no other movie. I was just wondering if it was worth getting on DVD for the improved picture quality. Sorry I should have stated this in the beginning.
  • George Grand
    edited October 2001
    Schumach,

I just want to see how much of a memory I have left. Was I correct when I said it MAY be in black and white?

If you enjoyed Das Boot, and have never seen "12 Angry Men", I highly recommend it. It is not a war film. It left me feeling exactly the way you described in your above post.

• schumach
    edited October 2001
    George,

The movie is in color, but it is so dark it may as well been black and white. I found a page that gave a review of the DVD. Here is the link. These pages are not easy to fine, but this review page looks okay.

http://db2.widescreenreview.com/dvdreview/FMPro?-db=dvdreview.fp5&-format=record%5fdetail.htm&-lay=main%20data%20entry&Title=das%20boot&-recid=32943&-find=:)
  • George Grand
    edited October 2001
    Schumach,

Thanks for the link. I'll read it right now. I GUESS I should also thank you for the confirmation on my failing memory. The passage of time can be a hurtful and sobering experience.

Just read the review, ProcHNow instead of ProcTow. Close I guess. Sounds like the new version is a winner, as well as the original.
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited October 2001
    One to buy for sure. It may be long but you get so ingrossed(spl?) with it you won't relize the length. According to the documentries on it it is very true to life, as George said. I took my DVD player over to my father's house so he could see the movie. It was hooked directly to the TV, 5.1 or 7.1 makes it much better, more enjoyable, and a sence of realism.
    Chris
    Chris :)
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2001
    Yeah it's long, yeah it's subtitled, and yeah it's dark, but.... This is one of my favorite movies of all time. U-571 was a good movie about a submarine, this is just a great movie that happens to have a sub. The DVD version allows for English dialog (I prefer the German W/ subtitle) as some people hate subtitles, widescreen, and sound that may become a reference disc. The depth charges sound great, as do all the little creeks, squeeks and moans the ship makes. Besides the DVD release has a whole bunch of more footage. As if the normal version at 145 minutes wasn't long enough.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • EJ
    EJ Posts: 42
    edited October 2001
    I would like to add my vote for this movie. An excellant movie with a sound that will blow you away. The sounds of the rivets letting go will have you ducking in your chair.

Regards
    Emmett
  • schumach
    edited October 2001
    I broke down and bought the DVD and it is great. I was watching the extras and noticed that all the sounds are new, except for the dialog and the footsteps. This is a definite keeper and I have not even made it through the movie. I figure it will take me about 4 days to do so, a 2 year old in the house tends to drag movies into multiple days. I consider them to be intermissions.
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2001
    "Das Boot" or "U Boat" is an oustanding "German" made movie, the story is good and very well directed. It's over 3 hours long. The DD 5.1 track is terrific (remaster of the original 6 tracks surround sound). The first generation of the DVD was recorded on both sides of the DVD, you have to turn the disc over to watch the second half of the movie. I hope they will release the new and improved disc using the dual layers technology(record the whole movie on one side). This is the must see and must have movie on DVD. If you haven't purchase this movie, be-sure to wait and buy the the new version...Have fun...
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2001
    What a great thread. So good to see so many people loving this great film.

No new edition is in the works, as far as I can tell from industry banter, so the "flipper" disc is all you have. It's a definite must-buy, as everyone has said, especially if you love war movies or just want a serious filmic surround sound experience. Use the "flip" as your bathroom break. Some oldsters have told me that "flipping" makes em feel like the great old days of laserdisc!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • joelll
    joelll Posts: 120
    edited October 2001
    Originally posted by Micah
    Some oldsters have told me that "flipping" makes em feel like the great old days of laserdisc!

Laserdisc? Bah! Too modern...

Analog-recorded RCA Selectavision Videodisc flipping...oy, I think I'm feeling a bit old now...

And no, not a format that I miss at all. A housemate long ago had a Videodisc player, and about forty movies for it. Shame that they deteriorated with repeated play.

As usual, a websearch turned up a wealth of information on old electronics stuff... ahh, memories...

joel
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    Was having your dad send you outside ( which depending on the time of year in Maine, could really suck ) to turn the antenna on the side of the house whenever he wanted to change the channel. That also entailed changing the channel on your way out as the 1960's Curtis Mathis 2 ton console TV had no remote, that is what kids were for. Fortunately, there were only 3 channels available.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2001
    I have no problem to "flip" the LD over becuz my LD machine does that automatically (side A to side B). "Flipping" the DVD over is like going back to "Kindergarden", the bathroom break is shorter than the "flipping"break...geez ...same deal on the early DVD version of "Stargate"... I suggest when they make the new discs on both movies, they will give us a "grandfather" trade-in deal...:) :rolleyes: :D