Lfe

Options
I own a denon avr 1803 with a standard subwoofer ouput, not one markd LFE. My question is: Is there a big difference/benefit to using an LFE output vs. the standard sub output?
Post edited by ronaldo141 on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2003
    Options
    They are the same.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    One in the same - my man. Some say tooomato some - say taaamato.
  • Sumflow
    Sumflow Posts: 64
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Ronaldo141 Is there a big difference/benefit to using an LFE output vs. the standard sub output?
    Denon Subwoofer hook up.

Ronaldo141 I am using a
    Denon 1603.Denon does not mark LFE on the Amps LFE outlet, just sub out. You may have LFE marked on your subs input.

Set all your speakers to
    small.
    Set your Cr.Over to
    80 Hz.
    Set your SW Vol to
    -3db.
    Run one RCA cable from the sub out on the Denon to the LFE (
    unfiltered) port on the Polk sub.
    Adjust bass volume on the sub using the
    Test Tone button on your remote.

With the
    "Low level LFE connection method!" you will not be missing any bass tones or double filtering. You will reap the benefits of better mids and highs. You will have a cooler running Amp and less speaker wire running all over the place.
    "At the first bend, I had the clear sensation that Tazio had taken it badly and that we would end up in the ditch; I felt myself stiffen as I waited for the crunch. Instead, we found ourselves on the next straight with the car in a perfect position. I looked at him, his rugged face was calm, just as it always was, and certainly not the face of someone who had just escaped a hair-raising spin. I had the same sensation at the second bend. By the fourth or fifth bend I began to understand; in the meantime, I had noticed that through the entire bend Tazio did not lift his foot from the accelerator, and that, in fact, it was flat on the floor. As bend followed bend, I discovered his secret. Nuvolari entered the bend somewhat earlier than my driver's instinct would have told me to. But he went into the bend in an unusual way: with one movement he aimed the nose of the car at the inside edge, just where the curve itself started. His foot was flat down, and he had obviously changed down to the right gear before going through this fearsome rigmarole. In this way he put the car into a four-wheel drift, making the most of the thrust of the centrifugal force and keeping it on the road with the traction of the driving wheels. Throughout the bend the car shaved the inside edge, and when the bend turned into the straight the car was in the normal position for accelerating down it, with no need for any corrections."

Enzo Ferrari
  • JoshG
    JoshG Posts: 2
    edited January 2003
    Options
    With the "Low level LFE connection method!" you will not be missing any bass tones or double filtering. You will reap the benefits of better mids and highs. You will have a cooler running Amp and less speaker wire running all over the place.
    :lol:
  • ronaldo141
    ronaldo141 Posts: 41
    edited January 2003
    Options
    thanks for the help guys. Right now I don't think it would have made a lot of difference as I am using a 50 watt sony 8 inch sub. :( .I was looking at the velo cht-8 this weekend at CC though.....nice sub. A bit pricey though. May go with polk psw 303 if i can find it cheap.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ronaldo141
    thanks for the help guys. Right now I don't think it would have made a lot of difference as I am using a 50 watt sony 8 inch sub. :( .I was looking at the velo cht-8 this weekend at CC though.....nice sub. A bit pricey though. May go with polk psw 303 if i can find it cheap.

Buy Gonzo's CHT-12 for the screamin' low sum of $250!!!!!!:cool:

A great sub for a great deal.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • ronaldo141
    edited January 2003
    Options
    sounds like a great deal dr. spec, but i'd have to convince my dad as well and seeing as he's not as much of a bass man as I am, it'd be hard to justify the purchase. Oh well. Maybe someday......Besides, since school started haven't had that much time to listen to music/movies anyway. But come summer......sub options will have to be reevaluated :) I'll let you know when anything changes.
    P.S. Dr. spec, would u mind telling me differences/benefits to ported and sealed designs of subwoofers and speakers in general.thanks
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Dr. spec, would u mind telling me differences/benefits to ported and sealed designs of subwoofers and speakers in general.thanks

Phew - ya got all day?

In a nutshell, a sealed sub generally has less sheer output and a slightly tighter bass response. The sealed enclosure "loads" the woofe cone and provides slightly better better transient and decay characteristics. It does not extend as nearly as deep unless an absolutely huge enclosure is specified.

The ported enclosure has much better output, much deeper extension in the same size enclosure, but might give away a bit of tightness compared to the sealed unit.

In practice, a properly ported sub can sound every bit as tight as a sealed sub - it's just harder to hit all the design parameters just right.

SVS
  • ronaldo141
    edited January 2003
    Options
    i see. now can you do me one more favor and define what you mean by "tight" bass? thanks alot. I'm new to HT and want to learn as much as possible.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    i see. now can you do me one more favor and define what you mean by "tight" bass? thanks alot. I'm new to HT and want to learn as much as possible.

"slightly better better transient and decay characteristics"

SVS
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    Options
    in my car i have sealed subs. i listen to mainley music and alot of rock. like metalica and justice for all where you have the dubble bass it just screams.