Why don't you guys like....

shack
shack Posts: 11,154
edited November 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Sony HUs? Seems like Sony get's bashed pretty regularly here and elsewhere. I've owned Pioneer and Clarion in the past and have always liked the Alpine units I've heard (seen). Nothing from the current Pioneer line impresses me and a couple of Alpines I like, but there are also a couple of Sony HUs that I really like the feature set and ergonomics of the units. They sound pretty decent and seem like good HUs. Not planning on any amps, just the HU. Why no love for Sony?
"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
Post edited by shack on

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2008
    Have an old Sony HU really old has 3 preamp output no amps. Still own it but its in a box and not in a car :( Have an Alpine HU which I don't like it, it wasn't too cheap around $320 its in a box and not in a car ;)

Ok that's my $.02

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2008
    They just stopped making quality radios, period. Seems like they took all their R&D money and put it into marketing and aesthetics.

Pioneer, Clarion, Kenwood, Alpine, JVC all make quality units. Really, from there, its personal preference. I'm partial to Pioneer, Aaron runs Alpine, John has Kenwood in his truck, I wouldn't hesitate to run any radios from any of those manufacturers. I run Pioneer because I like the way they look and I'm used to their menus.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited October 2008
    sony used to do decent things, but they lower the quality with the xplod lineup
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited October 2008
    One word to describe sony car audio in general is CRAP. They just don't make quality stuff as a matter of fact i would rather buy a best buy brand head unit instead of buying a sony.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • only126db
    only126db Posts: 157
    edited October 2008
    Sony ES head units were very high quality units, then Sony did away with the ES line and their reliability and sound quality fell into the gutter. They at one time were ahead of the curve but something obviously happened inside the company and now they are just an average company at best, with a less than average reputation. Pioneer and Alpine have pretty much stayed pretty level over the years, Kenwood has been a little up and down, but with a little help they could come back very strong, they have the ability to be at the top, whether they want to or not is the question. Sony may never fully recover, they will have to come out with some outstanding products to get back on the top.

I think in all around product line up for the top 6 it goes :

Alpine
    Pioneer(only because of their decks)
    Kenwood
    Clarion
    Panasonic
    Sony
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2008
    I agree with that Sony was it, now its not. :)

That is their HU / CD players not their amps or their speakers.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited October 2008
    The quality falling off has contributed to the "no love for Sony," at least in the 12V world.

Sony once made high quality car audio gear that was coveted and frequently found in SQ competition, but it seems they realized there is a bigger market (and therefore more money to be made) selling semi-disposable, entry-level gear to the uninitiated noob section of the market than concentrating on the smaller audiophile portion. The profit margin is larger selling thousands of crappy head units, amps, subs and quadraxial speakers compared to only moving a fraction's worth of high-end units that cost more to manufacture. This quality shift coincided with "Xplod" being launched on the market- our loss and Sony's gain :(.

I bought (and love) a Sony Bravia XBR TV, but it would be a cold day in hell before I'd give them any more car audio monies ;). Take the amount you would have spent on those Sony units and put it towards a better brand as suggested earlier- you'll have a better chance of being satisfied and the odds of your unit surviving the warranty period will go up dramatically...
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited October 2008
    I have a Sony head unit (yes, and XPlod) and i actually love it.

I have the CDX-7710, few years old, "specialty" unit.

Now, i don't have near the setup you guys probably have, just had it powering some stock location Polk db series, 4" in front, 6.5" in back, and an older 12" Sony Xplod "specialty" aluminum cone sub with one of their two-channel amps bridged.

Took some tweaking, but i liked the way it sounded, and i've now moved this head unit through 4 cars, and i've never had a single problem with it.

Will i win competitions? No. Is it THE BEST? No. But it was fairly priced, i like that it doesn't look like there's an alien growing out of my console, and it and the CDX-5710 in my other car have been dead nuts reliable.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited October 2008
    i had a sony cdx-u8000 back in the day and it was a great deck. one of the first out with 4v output, it was considered a comp deck.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited October 2008
    I have a buddy who does car audio installs. Sony has just dropped in SQ over the last few years while Pioneer has been kicking it up a notch. Alpine seems to be making lamer entry level units. Clarion, Kenwood, and JVC have been staying consistent. Am I a car audio guy? No, but I had to listen to my buddy the other day on the topic of HU's for an hour...
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,381
    edited October 2008
    One word to describe sony car audio in general is CRAP. They just don't make quality stuff as a matter of fact i would rather buy a best buy brand head unit instead of buying a sony.

You owe somebody money or CD's. You decide.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2008
    shack wrote: »
    Sony HUs? Seems like Sony get's bashed pretty regularly here and elsewhere. I've owned Pioneer and Clarion in the past and have always liked the Alpine units I've heard (seen). Nothing from the current Pioneer line impresses me and a couple of Alpines I like, but there are also a couple of Sony HUs that I really like the feature set and ergonomics of the units. They sound pretty decent and seem like good HUs. Not planning on any amps, just the HU. Why no love for Sony?

Sony head units are fine. Theyre as good as any other piece in their price range. What ruined it for Sony was the Xplod line. First off, just naming the line "Xplod" was 2 strikes right there but their speakers were very cheap and sounded ok at best. Their amps were also decent but thats about it. So you have a stupid name like Xplod and make sub par gear and your reputation goes in the toilet.

Audiobahn did the same thing. Made fancy, flashy, chrome speakers and amps that sounded like ****. Theyre history now because nobody ever took them seriously because not only did their products not perform but they had a big bad flashy look.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited November 2008
    I stay and always will stay with Alpine I had a pioneer and it stoped ejecting disks after a year and another one had so much alternator noise that i got a alpine and WHILA no more noise. Been with them ever seance
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2008
    I stay and always will stay with Alpine

Right there with ya brother. Been a fan of Alpine as far back as the late 80's when I first got into car audio. Only the "cool" people ran Alpine and I couldnt wait til I could afford to buy one. :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D