From Boston Pro to Polk MOMO?

JoshParsons84
JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
edited December 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
My current setup I've got to tell u...I love so much but lemme tell u my dilemma. I've got a 98 Grand Prix GTP with 5.25" doors, 6x9 rears, 4" rears. I have an Alpine CDA-9831 deck, Boston Acoustics Pro60 in custom kick panels, nothin in doors, Polk Audio db690, Boston Acoustics S45 all ran by an Alpine PDX-4.100 and a Boston Acoustics SPG555 ran by an Alpine PDX-1.1000 with all Rockford Fosgate wiring and it sounds GREAT! The problem is I'm starting to notice myself accidentally kickin my Bostons because I have no leg room. Now before u say anything I had to try out the kick panels myself after I've seen them in so many show cars. I have to take out the Bostons before I really hurt them and there's my $550 down the drain. So anyways I can't afford the SR's so the next best thing (and very affordable) was the MOMO's. Do the MOMO's sound any better or about the same as the Bostons? What's gonna be the difference in the tweeter between the Polks soft and the Bostons aluminum? Some people don't like the sound of the Bostons tweeter but I think it sounds great. Will I not like the Polks if it's more laid back than the Bostons? All in all something has to be done before I end up damaging my speakers.
Post edited by JoshParsons84 on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited October 2008
    get padded shoes ;)
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited October 2008
    get the MM 6501, instead of the MM 6500, i dont know if they are better than the bostons, but im sure those sounds great, poeple at polk its very happy with the results

p107MM6501-f.jpeg
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2008
    Im not a fan of Boston speakers. They were always too glassy sounding for me. The Pro series is different. They had a more natural sound kinda like the Polks.

Ive not heard the new line of MM speakers but the Momo line will be a little bit smoother and maybe even have more detail than the Pros.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • JoshParsons84
    edited October 2008
    Thanx guys I guess I'll be putting in an order within the next couple of weeks for some MOMO's!
  • JoshParsons84
    edited November 2008
    Getting ready to pull the trigger on the MOMO's. Problem now is when I hook them up to my Alpine 4-channel what crossover settings on the component's external crossover should I have? I'm gonna take the crossover apart before I hook the speakers up and set everything to where it should sound the best but I wouldn't begin to know what the setting would be.
  • badfireguy
    badfireguy Posts: 11
    edited November 2008
    The only thing that you might have to do is set the tweeters to -3db. I have been using the 6.5" components for four years now and that's the only problem I have encountered. Those tweeters get unholy loud at high volumes. Don't be fooled by anyone that has not actually owned a set of these speakers. If you have the equipment capable of driving them, you will not be dissappointed. Currently I am running a set of 6500's with two Alpine MRV-T420's (running mono @ 320 wpc continuous) and honestly couldn't be happier. The Momo's right now are a STEAL! I have seen them online for a little as $179.00. If you can, buy them from Polk's ebay store when they offer them. They have a three year warranty compared to the Monitor's one year. They do like power, but in return you will get the best midbass available from a 6.5" speaker. You should definately use a sound deadening material at least for the doors. If there is anything loose, you will know immediately. Really. I set the active crossover on my Alpine head unit at 63 cycles with an 18db per octive slope.
    They will go lower, but this seems to make them the happiest. Pay close attention to the wires @ the crossovers. Make sure they are secure. You will probably develop a new found hatred for the oversized crossovers until you bi-amp them (which you really should do). At that point you will have "that moment" when all is well, life is good, and Damn, that sounds great. Wait for the swelling to go down, and start pissing your friends off immediately.
    If God had intended for us to listen to anything made by Bose, surely he would not have given us ears.
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2008
    I would use the -6 db setting for your tweeters myself and if you mount them away from the mids like up in the A pillar, wire them out of phase with the mids.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • JoshParsons84
    edited November 2008
    badfireguy wrote: »
    Really. I set the active crossover on my Alpine head unit at 63 cycles with an 18db per octive slope.

Not be a smart ****, honestly, I dunno what in the hell u just said man sorry. I have a 9831 so maybe u could tell me what they would sound good or at least a starting point.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2008
    I'm not familiar with either of y'all's head units specifically, but his Alpine head unit has a built-in crossover network. This allows you to skip (leave out) the manufacturer's (Polk's) crossover with its set crossover points, and instead use the head unit's built-in crossover so YOU can set the points where YOU want them. Obviously some caution has to be used that you don't set them out of the bounds of the driver's abilities and blow them, but this gives you a lot of flexibility in tuning your system to your environment and likes.

What's he saying there is that he set the crossover in his Alpine HU for his mids so they'll play down to 63Hz, and then fade away after that at a rate of 18db per octave.

Hopefully that made a little sense. :)
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • JoshParsons84
    edited November 2008
    This is straight from my Alpine manual:

BAND1 : 40Hz, 60Hz, 90Hz
    BAND2 : 100Hz, 150Hz, 200Hz
    BAND3 : 500Hz, 700Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 6kHz
    BAND4 : 10kHz, 12.5kHz, 15kHz

And my HPF/LPF have been both set to 80 Hz my current settings are
    BAND1: 60Hz +7
    BAND2: 150Hz +7
    BAND3: 4kHz +12
    BAND4: 15kHz +12
    I dunno what my settings are on my PDX-4.100 cause Best Buy hooked it up. Maybe I could get some help on what my amp settings should be? I can't place my finger on it but there's something about my Bostons that's just "off" and that's the only word I know to describe it. This is my first system of my own but I've always tweaked on my buddies and dad's system so I've got an ear for this and there's something not right and I'm not thinking it's the speakers but I could be wrong. Also I've got time correction on too I dunno if I should keep that all off or if it makes a difference. It's right cause I put in the measurements on Alpine's website and it gave me the right increments.
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2008

And my HPF/LPF have been both set to 80 Hz my current settings are
    BAND1: 60Hz +7
    BAND2: 150Hz +7
    BAND3: 4kHz +12
    BAND4: 15kHz +12

+12 ?!?!?! :eek:

Damn dude, you shouldnt have anything much above +3.

Turn all those down to 0 and work them frequency by frequency but cut first and see how it sounds. I have a 31 band EQ on all 4 of my drivers and the only frequencies that are boosted are 400, 500 and 630 and only by 2 db at the most. Everything else is either flat or cut from -1 to -6 db.

• JoshParsons84
    edited November 2008
    I put it at flat and it sounded horrible! I can't find where Best Buy put my component crossovers and I messed and messed with my 4-channel today and got it sounding pretty good only at the settings I currently have it on. So I don't have an EQ except on my deck which isn't much as u saw.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited December 2008
    Hey I searched and found my old forum yay for everybody!!! Can anybody point me in the right direction as to be a good tweaker? I can't understand why when I turn my eq flat it's not loud at all and is muffled to no end. My amp is set at 12:00 on all 4 channel with my crossover on the first 2 channels about 12:00 and the 3,4 about 10:00. What the hell am I doin wrong?