SVS Subs?

Options
Does anyone have SVS sub(s) in their system. I am still on a quest to replace my PSW 350 with a below 20 hz sub. I like the Rel Strata, however the spec. on the SVS PS Plus 16-46 is just as impresive. I like the tall round velvet texture design, it would fit my HT just right. The company is a mail order only with a 45 day money back, so I am covered if i don't like it, but I would like some advice before I continue. Any ideas, anyone?
Post edited by mangata572 on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    LEt me put it this way, everyone here loves their SVS! They say its deep, accurate - all that good stuff...like u said if u dont like it, u can return it....take a dive
    SVS - HSU - M&K, check em out....all good subwoofers
    I got a M&K and It kicks arse! Clean, Powerful, Accurate - everything imaginable...its awesome
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'm not abig fan of the SVS. I know a lot of people really like them, but I would not want one based on looks alone. I think it looks like a spray painted water heater. Looks have got to count for something, right? Here's a link for ya. This person was not pleased with the SVS performance. You might as well get as much info as you can before you spend your cash.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119145
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'with ya on that one Frank. No matter how good the performance is- it's buuuuuuttttt ugly !
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Think Dr. Spec here in the forums has one. I'd say he's really happy with it.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Dr Spec's brain was made of svs parts....;)

Id buy a SVS and then buy a cat, and then let the cat stop klinging to it - turn it on and see if it'll do it again. In other words, I think their the ugliest things I have ever seen. They may sound awesome - but for god sakes its ugly....
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2003
    Options
    If it's ugly, recover it and make it look pretty. I for one would never sacrifice preformance for looks, but that's just me.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Mangata572:

I owned twin PSW350's at one time. Before upgrading, I demo'd a LOT of subs and scoured the on-line forums and DIY sites to learn as much about bass and subwoofers as I possibly could.

After all that research, I came to one conclusion: In the world of commerical subwoofers in the $800-$1,000 range, there are two names that rise to the top - SVS and HSU.

After extensive and unbiased research on both brands, I came to the conclusion that the SVS brand offered more performance and usable features than any comparably priced HSU product. But both of them are damn good.

The SVS 16-46PC+ or 20-39PC+ offers a flatter FR, less THD, deeper extension, more SPL, more tuning flexibility, and more usable features than any other commercial sub in their price range, and in many cases outperform subs costing many times more.

Add to that Customer Service that simply has to be experienced to be believed, and you've got an unbeatable combination and value.

As for looks, my SVS is actually shorter than my RT800i. I've never heard anyone **** about the look of a 42" tower before - so why **** about a 40" tall subwoofer? Pictures do not do them justice. They are handsome, masculine, imposing, extremely well built, and are covered in a rich, black automotive grade fabric that blends in well with any decor. Anyone who walks into my HT room for the first time is immediately impressed with the look of the SVS and simply has to hear it.

I concur 100% with Ron - form follows function. The SVS has a large internal volume, and the cylinder design allows for extraordinarily long vent tubes - both of which contribute to an extremely efficient design that can achieve a very deep tune point and high SPL without the need for a 1,500W amp and EQ.

Reviews? There are literally thousands of very satisfied SVS owners and their comments can be found over at HTF and from the SVS website.

Independent professional reviews are positively glowing from tough to impress guys like Tom Nousaine, Howard Ferstler, Brian Weatherhead, and John E Johnson.

As for the review Frank Z linked, read the ENTIRE thread and decide for yourself. This idiot turned out to be a 19 year old uninformed jackass who made so many outrageous claims and statements that anyone possibly taking him seriously has more than a few screws loose.

Really, Frank - why would you risk your reputation by passing this thread off as a usable and objective review from an informed enthusiast?

Mangata572: I can virtually assure you that a properly calibrated and set-up SVS 16-46 or 20-39 PC+ will impress you beyond words with flat, accurate, low distortion, super deep, high output, world class bass. You will NOT regret your purchase.

Here are some reviews from informed and educated consumers and independent professional reviewers.

Regards,

Doc

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_4/svs-25-31-pci-subwoofer-12-2002.html

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/svs-cs-ultra-subwoofers-5-2002.html

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/reviews_robroy.htm

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/reviewspcplus1.htm
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Muahahaha, Doc you got me really interested in the SVS line. I think if I got some spair cash over the summer I'm gonna have to take a dive and buy the SVS 25-31 PCi. For 550 MSRP, 25 hz flat...Man ollll man, i'll have to take the dive. But if I am near broke at the end of the summer, screw it. But If I do buy it...Can you say....M&K vs. SVS? Ight, I thought id share my 2 cents. And ohh yeah, If I did buy one--It'd go in my closet, that ugly thing would be hidden....aha
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    MX - how much would the current version of your M&K sub cost?

SVS
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Do you mean the model that is replacing it? The current version that replaced it is the MX-125, it runs at 1,300 I think...
    But do not get me wrong, If i do buy the SVS - I will keep an open mind and remind myself that is cost a well 900 less than the MX-90...Im not exspecting it to be REALLY EFFIN GOOD! and im not exspecting the M&K to blow it out of the water either

Who knows, If the SVS is really good - I could see the M&K meeting the closet, who knows. If you didn't know I paid 450 for the M&K off my dad. So moving it to the closet will not exactly brake my heart...;)! But who knows...
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • carvinman1
    carvinman1 Posts: 62
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I purchased the 20-39PCi a few months ago, and it completely changed the sound of my system. It replaced a PSW-350, and the difference is night and day. There is no more boomy bass, and all the other speakers in the system have a much better defined sound. It also blends great with my RT800i's for a really great 2 channel music experience. The looks may bother some of you, but my SVS ROCKS!
    Later,
    Danny
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    That's a very fair way to view it. If the $500 25-31PCi runs in the same room with the equivalent of a $1,300 MX-125, that's really saying something.

I think there's actually hope for you - you've been coming around pretty good lately. :-)

For $1300, you could buy a dual 20-39PCi package. Or a single Ultra with the external amp.

M&K subs get very good reviews from their owners. But they ARE very expensive.

SVS
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    That's a very fair way to view it. If the $500 25-31PCi runs in the same room with the equivalent of a $1,300 MX-125, that's really saying something.

Yeah, If i buy it, and I like it - it will run head to head with the M&K. I have a very open mind when it comes to prices. I gained that when I listened to Polk over every other speaker in CC one day, I couldnt believe just how much better they sounded. The only thing was that the Infinity's had a better high end..

I think there's actually hope for you - you've been coming around pretty good lately. :-) - Doc

Thank ya, thank ya! lol! :lol:
    For $1300, you could buy a dual 20-39PCi package. Or a single Ultra with the external amp. - Doc

LOL! Yeah, I need the money tho...hmmm...
    M&K subs get very good reviews from their owners. But they ARE very expensive. - Doc
    Yeah, M&K are awesome subs, but they are fairly high. Their lowest priced one is 500 MSRP, and its just a single 8 inch driver. I have one complaint about the M&K, and this is on their old drivers - the new drivers dont do this. But the old drivers were high compliance (so are the new ones), but the paper on the old one would sorda flap when it restracted creating a slight but noticable distortion at high volumes. Thats my only complaint...
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    Options
    As a side note, I saw in an SVS manual that...

"If you use your DD/DTS receiver/processor's internal crossover to manage bass frequencies (highly recommended) , the setting of this [crossover frequency] knob on the sub is irrelevant".

If the above is true, double filtering at the sub wouldn't be an issue no matter what the crossover setting on the sub was, right? Is SVS correct when they say this?
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Really, Frank - why would you risk your reputation by passing this thread off as a usable and objective review from an informed enthusiast?
    Ya, Frank - you should have read the rest of the thread - the kid turned out to sound like an idiot.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    And yall thought I liked it loud! HA! Altho I wouldnt mind getting 160 db of bass...sure! That dude did alot of thinking, but he didnt do any research or reading, therefore it clasifies him as a A1 moron! Although, I didn't do any research when it comes to receivers and preouts, so I guess im a moron too! WOOOO HOOO! newayz, that dude seems like a bass addict - who in their right mind would want 160 db+ of bass? lord
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mangata572
    mangata572 Posts: 52
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I did read all the 19 yr old idiot's thread, several jumped in to say good things on SVS. As far as the looks, the round design works for me. I think a 46" round tower (or two) will look good with my 48" RTi150's. Besides, I care more about base you can feel, not hear, more than looks (I never did find a small frige sized black box all that attractive). Next question, one 16-46 PC+ or two?!
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    One Lamborghini or two Lamborghini?????
    That is a tough one.:rolleyes:
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by kberg
    As a side note, I saw in an SVS manual that...

"If you use your DD/DTS receiver/processor's internal crossover to manage bass frequencies (highly recommended) , the setting of this [crossover frequency] knob on the sub is irrelevant".

If the above is true, double filtering at the sub wouldn't be an issue no matter what the crossover setting on the sub was, right? Is SVS correct when they say this?

Hi Kberg:

You must also disable the filter control at the sub.

There is a separate switch for that right next to the filter control knob.

From further on in the owner's manual:

"Crossover Enable Switch. If you allow your DD/DTS surround-sound receiver or processor to manage bass frequencies (recommended), this switch should be set to Disabled. This disables the Crossover Frequency knob and allows your sub to reproduce just what it's fed from the receiver. "

Ed

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mangata572
    Thanks for the info. Next question, one 16-46 PC+ or two?!

How big is your room, how many openings to other rooms are there, how loud to you like to play your HT system, and do you favor bass demanding DVDs?

SVS
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ya, Frank - you should have read the rest of the thread - the kid turned out to sound like an idiot.

Take it easy on me guy's...a lot has been added to that thread since I read it!

Agreed the guy was expecting unreal results from his SVS. For those that have not read the thread, he posted later that he hoped to get as much as 200db!! Had I known the guy was a booger eating moroon I would not have included the link. I'm sorry and beg forgiveness!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mangata572
    mangata572 Posts: 52
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Dr., My system serves double duty- HT & 5/7 stereo. The HT section (viewing and 2 ch. sweet spot) of the basement is only 11x14, however that area overflows into a L shape 22x40 (including HT area) bar, pool table, table soccer, darts, etc. So for HT only I think one 16-46 PC+ would be fine. For party times I run all 5/7 speakers to fill all the space. So the thought for two is for the music side. I know I should just start with one and see, but I like to get others opinion.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z

Take it easy on me guy's...a lot has been added to that thread since I read it!

Agreed the guy was expecting unreal results from his SVS. For those that have not read the thread, he posted later that he hoped to get as much as 200db!! Had I known the guy was a booger eating moroon I would not have included the link. I'm sorry and beg forgiveness!

Frank - that comment was so funny all is forgiven. Still feelin' the love!

SVS
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I forgive ya Frank.
    The sub I almost bought. Out of a 200 sub review buy sound and vision - this one was in the top 3.
    Vandersteen V2W
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mangata572
    Dr., My system serves double duty- HT & 5/7 stereo. The HT section (viewing and 2 ch. sweet spot) of the basement is only 11x14, however that area overflows into a L shape 22x40 (including HT area) bar, pool table, table soccer, darts, etc. So for HT only I think one 16-46 PC+ would be fine. For party times I run all 5/7 speakers to fill all the space. So the thought for two is for the music side. I know I should just start with one and see, but I like to get others opinion.

The main area is certainly small enough for one PC+ to fill with pretty prodigious bass.

If the opening to the other room is wide enough, you might lose quite a bit of bass to it, though. Room acoustics are a funny thing......only way to see is to try it.

One thing SVS does stress is that the 16-46 size enclosure cannot play quite as loud overall as its smaller brothers - a sacrifice for the deeper extension.

A 25-31PC+ might outgun a 16-46PC+ by about 3 dB in max volume capability above 25 Hz. Of course, below 25 Hz, the 16 series start to quickly pull away from the 25 series.

3 dB might not seem like much, but it is. To put it in perspective, adding a second sub anywhere but the same corner typically only adds another 3 dB in overall volume. In the same corner, you can expect a 6 dB increase in volume.

Anyway, for this disparity in max output between the 16 and the 25 series, SVS often recommends twin 16's if you are really going to be pushing it to near reference levels on bass heavy DVDs.

If you go with twin 16-46PC+ in the same corner in that room, you can expect to cleanly hit a clean 117+ dB bass peaks at the seat.

SVS
  • Fishiest1
    Fishiest1 Posts: 17
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Dr Spec,

Im soooo considering getting a 2039pc+.

How do you think it would go with my rt3000s or is it even worth adding to?
    Hitachi 51swx20b HDTV
    Toshiba sd-4800 DVD
    Sony STR-DA3ES receiver
    Klipsch KLF 10s mains
    RT3000s and Klipsch ksw15 for subs
    RT800i surrounds
    Klipsch RC3 center
    Playstation 2!:)

Zone 2
    Inifinity Overture1s
    PSW 450 sub
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Your kidding, right? Aren't you hitting like 120 dB already? I don't see the logic here.

Yes, the SVS will have deeper extension than the 3000 subs. But I doubt it will play any louder.

It's only a single 12" woofer for chrissakes. Yes- it's one of the best 12" woofers out there, but it's still just a 12" woofer.

The 3000 has four 8" woofers and 600 watts of power. I'm sure it has comparable output above 30 Hz.

SVS