Do they make quality 15" subs?

Options
kanicker
kanicker Posts: 86
edited January 2003 in Speakers
Hi folks,

My Dad asked me to shop around for a sub for him. He would really like to get a 15" or larger sub. I thought about trying to convince him otherwise... let him know that you can get a quality loud sub that is 10" or 12". (He's about 60% movies, 40% music) But he's an old man, and I'd rather let him keep his prejudices. So please point me in the right direction of a large coned Subwoofer that would still satisfy the majority of us on this fourm....

His asking me because he knows I look for "good deals" so I assume that means bang for the buck and definitely less than $1000.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Post edited by kanicker on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by kanicker
    He would really like to get a 15" or larger sub.

I have no idea, but do they make larger than 15" subs? I thought that 15" WAS the largest...........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    If he can make the stretch for about $1200 on line, the Klipsch RSW-15 is PHENOM on music and good for most HT.

It takes a MAJOR nosedive below 30 Hz in FR and will be lacking in the deepest demanding HT stuff, but otherwise it sounds great.

Paradigm Servo-15, Velo HGS-15, and Velo CHT-15 are also rock solid choices. You might find a used HGS somewhere.

If you can get him off the 15" bandwagon, SVS and HSU are tops in the 12" commercial market in the $1000 range.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Yes, Velodyne ha an excellent 15 and for one hell of a lot less money-check out the paradigm line -the paradigm is a fantastic sub..Velodyne even has an 18 inch.
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • DAlba
    DAlba Posts: 124
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have a Paradigm Servo-15 and have been very happy with it. Paid about $1100 though.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I love my Velo CT150...for under 700 its a great sub. Plays great for music and excellent for HT... just my input
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Nosedives under 30Hz and they are still marketed as subwoofers? At the $1,200 price point? What's up with that? I'm starting to smell an ad campaign ala Blose.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by George Grand
    Nosedives under 30Hz and they are still marketed as subwoofers? At the $1,200 price point? What's up with that? I'm starting to smell an ad campaign ala Blose. George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)

George, this is the MO of probably 98% of all "subwoofers" out there. I can hear you loud and clear, but Klipsch has a LOT of company. I can count on my fingers the manufacturer's who offer subs with true clean extension to 20 Hz or lower.

SVS
  • George Grand
    edited January 2003
    Options
    If that's the case, most would be better off with a pair of original Advent loudspeakers. They shake the house with 25Hz info.

If I were to require the services of a subwoofer (not likely to happen anytime soon with the Amazing's in one room, and 1978 vintage AR-9's in the other), I would be tempted to look at the Hsu's.

You in the city Doc?
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    Options
    if you want output all the way down to 20 or below i would look at svs.(if you dont mind the look of them) or a diy sub.(but the diy subs can be a bit bigger than the store bought but they out perform them) i am a bass head my self i started out as just a boomer and evolved to loveing flat clean bass. i have a velo and it is a 12 and dues a good job. it was a little more than the polk.a while back i went to the htf and saw the diw and started reading about diy subs and then i got the itch to upgrade to a diy sub.
  • George Grand
    edited January 2003
    Options
    If that advice is intended for me, I thank you, but I have no DESIRE, or NEED for a subwoofer. Both my stereo rig and MODEST home theater rig have loudspeakers that reach down into the 20's hertz-wise.

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    Options
    no just trying to pass on knolage i have i have alot of usless nolage but some is usefull.

i am going to have to get me a cool closeing phrase.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    You in the city Doc?

Not the Big Apple. Upstate - Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse area.

FWIW, I will run a 1/12 octave 10-100 Hz frequency sweep on the Advent in the same spot as my SVS (to eliminate room acoustic differences) and plot the results.

I lucked out with fortuitous room acoustics, so the Advent will perform to its absolute best in that spot. My SVS stays ruler flat to 11 Hz (I'm not joking) in that spot with one port plugged and the SS filter set to 12 Hz.

If you are interested, I can email you the results - just let me know. I have a sense the Advent will hang tough down to about 32 Hz and then sign off. But ya never know till ya try..........

SVS
  • George Grand
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The originals could get down into the 20's, but if we're talking about "The New Advent Loudspeaker" from around '79, you're probably right on at 30-32. Respectable as all hell.

UPSTATE New York. So much for you drinking beer in this place. Too far.

• Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The originals could get down into the 20's, but if we're talking about "The New Advent Loudspeaker" from around '79, you're probably right on at 30-32. Respectable as all hell.

UPSTATE New York. So much for you drinking beer in this place. Too far.

I didn't know the Original Advent Large dug deeper than "The New Advent Louspeaker". Thanks, I'll file that away. Either way, yes it is respectable as all hell.

As for the offer for brewski's - I have family on Staten Island. Are you near there? Maybe we could all catch a ball game next time I'm visting there.

SVS
  • George Grand
    edited January 2003
    Options
    About 60-70 miles south of Staten Island, right off the turnpike. Ball game? I might watch Matt Polk have a catch with David Hafler, but as far as supporting professional sports, that's not me.

• Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    That's cool. Checking out your gear over some brews would be cool too. I get downstate every few years. Next time, if we're both still hangin' here - I'll let you know.

Regards,

Ed

SVS