speaker cone insulation problem

Options
ronaldo141
ronaldo141 Posts: 41
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I own a pair of Snell K-IIIs that I've had for about 5 or 6 years. Recently I took off the speaker grill and noticed the foam that covers the perimeter of the cone has begun to crack and come off so that you can stick your fingers inside the speaker cabinet. When I play music and turn up the bass I can feel air escaping from the sides where the foam has cracked and worn away. My question is: will this affect the sound quality of the speaker? and how can I fix this?
Post edited by ronaldo141 on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Do you mean the cone, or the surround? Im not sure - but I would think that the speaker would eventually blow......Or do u mean the 'foam' that is around the driver where u install the driver into the cabnet? If so - Im not sure how this would affect the overall sound, but im sure someone around here can help u.....I doubt it would - If you cant hear it...I doubt it will affect anything. But who knows?
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited January 2003
    Options
    ronaldo,

Yes, it is a problem.The foam surrounds on your drivers have rotted and you need to get them fixed. By allowing air to escape your speakers are not playing to their full potential and if all the foam rots away your driver will fall out. This can be fixed by a good hi-fi repair shop, it shouldn't cost too much.
    On a side note, Polk uses rubber surrounds which last at least 20 years vs the foam which last about 5 years.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ronaldo,

It’s called foam rot. F1's right, it is a problem and will only get worse and lead to more severe driver damage.

Dug up a couple Club posts that address the subject.

1st one deals directly with topic and includes link to a place to buy replacements for DIY. It’s a subwoofer discussed here, but same problem. Results of the repair aren't posted.
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5916&highlight=foam

2nd one is buried in thread discussing what Polk’s everyone has (go up the page for pictures and start of discussion on foam rot/ repair). This one shows repair is possible, so take heart...
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=61638&highlight=advent#post61638
    Post by Dr Spec includes an e-bay web link, but to an Advent specific supplier of foam surrounds. I think he’s done this repair and will comment, if he sees this post.

I’ve got the same problem with a pair of 15-year old Yamaha speakers I’m bringing out of retirement. I bought repair kit at this link for $25:
    http://www.simplyspeakers.com/faqs.htm
    You supply the speaker model and they find the right one for you. The kit arrived in about a week. It included two foam surrounds and instructions with step by step pictures. Doesn’t look too intimidating, but what with the holidays and all I haven’t worked on them yet. Probably will next week.

Can't say which supplier is better. Possibly another member can.

Good Luck…
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I shouldn't have said the driver will fall out, it won't. What I was trying to say is that it won't have the proper support.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ronaldo141
    ronaldo141 Posts: 41
    edited January 2003
    Options
    thanks alot guys. Hopefully I can do something this weekend to solve the problem. Right now it doesn't seem to be making too much of a difference in terms of acoustic quality, but it's better to fix it now than later. I will check out the links and see what I can do.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2003
    Options
    You can do it yourself if you're halfway handy. Partsexpress.com has everything you need. The size of the new surrounds you need to order, is whatever the OUTSIDE diameter of the ENTIRE woofer is (to include the outer metal frame or "basket"). Probably cost no more than $25 including shipping for up to 12" FOAM surrounds, which can last past 20 years. You want to go the extra money for butyl rubber, that's okay too, just wanted you to know I've seen foams that weren't hermetically sealed in storage or any **** like that, last 22-23 yrs.
    The kits come with glue, foam, new dust caps, and some companies even include an instructional step by step videotape.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)