edited February 2003
    ive used ikesound before
    they had the lowest price on a capacitor
    didnt have any problems
    -Cody
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited February 2003
    PBD, I just received the UPS tracking number for the amp. I should see it on Mon. Let you know,
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    holy **** chris -- i think hell just froze over.... (they shipped it!) lololololol.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited February 2003
    PBD, I finally got the amp today!! Looks new. Birth sheet states 674 watts @ 2ohm. When I get a chance, I'll change the amp over.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited February 2003
    PBD, I already mounted the amp and wired it. Havent had a chance to Test drive it. One thing I did notice. When I turned it on, I could hear a High pitch ringing sound. Is that normal? It only happened for a moment then went away. Also, I had a 60 amp AGU in the fuse box, Do I need to change it to a 50? I think I might have one laying around somewhere.
    What do you recomend I do with the Punch 800.2? It makes 1006 watts rms at 2 ohm stereo. Dont know if I should keep it or sell it on Ebay. The amp does work. If I sell, How much do you think I could get? Its not in perfect condition. has a few scratchs, No dents. Have all the hardware and Bass knob.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    dude... that punch.... keep it.... hoenstly.... if it really is 500 x 2 then its worth a good 300 bucks used... 400+ used in good condidtion... assuming the thd is under 0.3% in 2 ohm stereo mode.

that would put it into the "better amp" category, for which, they are worth $$

glad to hear u finally got u're amp dude.... took long enough -- **** we coulda bought u transistors and built it from hand...lol j/k.

dont worry about the fuse... 674 / 13.8 = 48.84 --- thats 50 right there...

so with another amp and what not u'll need the 60. -- the mtx 6500D is like the same size / model-ish amp (obviously anothe rbrand but the amps are close) and that guy had 75 A onboard (right on the amp's chassis). leave hte 60... aint gonna hurt nothin bu tmight save u a trip out into the cold.

far as the whining... i get it too...i dunno what the hell it is.. i think its the amp "warming up" -- almost literally.. when its warm out - i dont get it.. when its cold or ihavent had the ssytem on for a day or so... its like SHRIEKING at me from the two 81kd's -- only those amps.... not my class AB's -- go figure.. maybe its a class D "we're cold let us warm up" thing. but i've heard many amps do it (D's) --- its not patch cables of anything..... it comes right from in the amp (not outa the speakers).

long as it keeps goin away dont sweat it... if u get it constantly for an hour or so, u might have a ground loop problme - but u checked that **** out so thoroughly before i imageine u dwudn't have such a prob.

good luck with the new amp... heres hopin for ya *fingers x-ed"
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited February 2003
    PBD, The amp works pretty good. I just might have to make gain adjustments to maximize the power. This is a little boy. Not as big as I thought. Chassis size. My gain is set about 1/4 open with the Bass knob set at about 1/3 or so.
    the rining sound. it is best described as a metalic ring. kinda like when you drop a wrench into a drawer of wrenches. I had the amp turned on and no audio input just for a test. But you say yours does it as well. So I am not going to worry. I had a Sony class D amp once before. Never heard the noise. Of course that sucker drew massive amounts of current at 1 ohm. Used it to drive a pair of DVC Bazooka RS 10" tubes.
    The Punch amp is 500 X 2 at 2 ohm according to birth sheet. 1006 watts rms bridged. I used to have (Wished I kept it) a MTX 3002. Ran it 1.5 ohm bridged. A pair of DVC 12" Ultimate Attitude in a ported box. Had to have made over 1000 watts easily. That combo threw too much air. A friend put his hand in front of the port and it pushed his hand into the back wall of the trunk. Sold that on Ebay. didnt get much though. So maybe I'll hold onto this one.
    Thanks for the luck.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    This is a little boy. Not as big as I thought. Chassis size. My gain is set about 1/4 open with the Bass knob set at about 1/3 or so.
    the rining sound. it is best described as a metalic ring. kinda like when you drop a wrench into a drawer of wrenches. I had the amp turned on and no audio input just for a test. [/B]

ya... most class D's are smaller than their AB coutnerparts... a 500 watt D is usually like 20% smaller than a 500 x 1 4 ohm stable AB. and as tech gets better, they're shrinking them even further.

re stuipd sound --- well... i can turn on my deck... and turn the volume down to dead zero.... unplug my RCA's from teh amp... unplug my sub speaker wire from the amp (so all thats hooked up is just the amp to the power wire / rem on lead) and it makes that sound.. its like a whining wind or really fine nails down a chalk board. only really high pitched -- much like u said.. droppin a wrench into a drawer of wrenches. my 500d and 6500d's did the same thing only like 1/3 of the volume....

lemme put it to u like this -- its so bad when i first turn the car on in the morning that i dont even wanna listen to music for about 10 minutes.
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited February 2003
    Maybe because your in NY where its colder than where I am. its no big deal. Seems to be working beautifully. I wonder if I should look into a 4 channel amp. I still get that mysterious cutting out. Sounds like the R/F door. I am going to e-mail him and ask about a 4 channel amp.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    by the way ... when u were talkin about the 1kw mtx amp i thought at first u were talkin about the 2300X and just typed it wrong... cuz the 2300X was like 750 x 1 into 4 ohms and if ran at low low loads could do a grand easy, not safe, but definately easy.

(lookin on mitek site) -- u know htey used to make some damn good... damn BIG amps --- those thunders in the black case with gold lettering.. case looked like ashphalt.... i would kill for two 2300X's today.

they even had an HO amp that was like 700 +++ into 1 ohm with less than 0.5%thd -- which for mtx is like a shocker (over 1.5% is the "norm" for them lately).

i cant find a 3002 --- are u talkin about a 302 maybe ? Thunder 302 -- blue/blackish case with a silver "mtx" badge in the middle of the amp with a red turn on light. gold plated terminals.. lil over a foot long.. maybe 10" wide. -- ive got one of those in my girls car.. i love it.. buddy has two BT 150.2's which is the same amp only 3 years older and in a silver case. i've seen those do upwards of 500 into a 4 ohm load bridged if treated properly... at 1.5 ohms, i have no doubt it'd throw a solid 800 + at you before it reached thermal limits... but thats a hell of a beating on that poor amp. The amp - cruelty proectecion agency should hang u by your toenails!!! :lol:
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited February 2003
    It was a Blue/Blackish amp. it was one of the Euro designs. Was rated at 150x2 at 12.5v. Bought at Crutchfield. Sounds like the same amp we are talking about. I didnt wire it that way. I had it wired for 3 ohm stereo. The local stereo shop rewired it to 1.5 ohm mono. When they were just supposed to install the Viper doorlock system. I never knew it was done until I sold the car and removed the amp. Wondered why it was always running hot but never shut off. I origionally wanted a Pro 3002 but couldnt get one. to match the Pro 504 and 752.
    Chris