polk audio and hybrid audio mix. what do you think ?

killerb
killerb Posts: 390
edited October 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
im trying something new. im going with a 3 way setup. im using hybrid audio's 3" L3 mids and the L1 tweeter in the kicks with my sr6500 mid as misbass in the doors. so far i only have the mid and tweeters installed and they sound great. i have the mids crossed from 8khz to 200 hz, and the tweeters from 8khz on up. the hybrid mid has awsome extension and sounds good without a tweeter. i got a new jl audio 300/2 to run the sr6500 mid and cant wait to put those back in. the hybrid tweeter sounds good, but not as good as the sr's. its not as smooth as the sr tweeter, but has great off axis response like the sr tweeter. i didnt tune at all so i will save final judgement until then. after tuning im going to swap out the tweeter for the sr's to see how it sounds , but im keeping the 3' mid in. if it sounds better i will go with the sr midbass,tweeter and the hybrid mid. the midrange sounds GREAT with the stage wide and centered with zero time correction. Mac i know you compete, what do you think about the hybrid systems?
kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
Morel Elate 6 front stage
Post edited by killerb on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2008
    Hybrid speakers? Well, my take on them is that they CAN sound good. "Can" being the key word here. Scott Buwalda has about a half dozen world championships with his Team Hybrids and my friend Andy Jones won a world championship in both IASCA and MECA with Hybrids so you can make them work. However, right out of the box, they sound flat and stale but with some hard work and a lot of tuning, they have a lot of potential so its a mixed bag.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • killerb
    edited October 2008
    thanks for the info. i will be tuning this weekend and putting in the midbasses. i think this setup will be interesting and sound great, if not i can always put the sr tweets back in and still have my sr6500 set.
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
  • killerb
    edited October 2008
    well, i have everything in and all i can say is wow. the midrange clarity is awsome and the sr mids are kicking butt with that JL amp. i like the fact of a dedicated midrange driver that keeps the sub 250 hz info out and just does what it has to do, play midrange. i still have to eq the system, so it will get better. so far its a nice experiment and fun. who doesnt like new toys.
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub