Hd-dvr

Options
dave shepard
dave shepard Posts: 1,334
edited October 2008 in The Clubhouse
I'm looking at getting a HD-DVR. We are using Directv as our provider and we were informed that if we buy (which is what I was going to do) the $399 HD-DVR that in order to use it there is a fee for it ($5) or we couldn't record anything. What the hell is that about? I thought it would act like a VCR and that if it had the ability to record it would. Does anybody have one? and are you paying a $5 per month fee to use it? I sure as hell am not going to pay that kind of money for a reciever and also have to pay a extra fee every month to use the damn thing.

Dave
Post edited by dave shepard on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Yes, sorry to say but thats the way it works. Same thing with DirecTivo, you pay a monthly fee.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited October 2008
    Options
    There are three PVRs, which even have ATSC OTA tuners built-in and are free, and these record in HD.

Off the top of my head, I remember one: Sony DHG-HDD250. The other one was made by LG. Both are discontinued now, but are still available on ebay. There is a new one, which is coming out in the next couple of months, but I forgot the brand/model :).
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • Systems
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Lorthos wrote: »
    Yes, sorry to say but thats the way it works. Same thing with DirecTivo, you pay a monthly fee.....

You'll be using DirecTv's "DVR interface" (which you don't have a choice right now) with that HD-DVR not Tivo's. Tivo's sleeping with DirecTv again and they'll be coming out with a HD Directivo here in about a year....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited October 2008
    Options
    ViperZ wrote: »
    There are three PVRs, which even have ATSC OTA tuners built-in and are free, and these record in HD.

Off the top of my head, I remember one: Sony DHG-HDD250. The other one was made by LG. Both are discontinued now, but are still available on ebay. There is a new one, which is coming out in the next couple of months, but I forgot the brand/model :).

These aren't integrated with the receiver though....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2008
    Options
    For that reason alone, why not just pay the $5 fee per month and use theirs so when it crashes you can have them drop ship you a replacement. It might be slightly more for an HD DVR per month, but even if it's aroun $10 you get almost 3.5 years out of it before you're out any money really.......then there'll be something you want in place of it anyways..........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,937
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Lorthos wrote: »
    These aren't integrated with the receiver though....
    Nope, I don't think so, nor are they HD. One of the best non-subscription DVRs, from what I have heard, is the Philips HDD DVDR 3576H. It has a 160GB hard drive, editing capabilities (you can edit out the commercials), rudimentary "pause live TV" capabilities, and an upscaling DVD recorder. It certainly has its limits, but for $310 shipped from amazon.com, it's worth considering nonetheless, and it can do some things that none of the DVRs from the TV service providers can do. Wal-Mart also sell it, but I think it is being discontinued soon (Philips have no plans to replace it, apparently, but I have not been following this closely).

Here in the U.S., our choice of HDD DVRs is incredibly limited compared to Europe. The cable and satellite guys have the whole market tied up.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hard-Recorder-DVDR3576H-37/dp/B0013WM0BQ/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1223867186&sr=8-1
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10059151
    http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/us/consumer/cc/_language_us/_productid_DVDR3576H_37_US_CONSUMER
    Alea jacta est!
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    edited October 2008
    Options
    You can get one now for $179.00 at Best Buy. Not sure why you were quoted so much.
    I have 2 of them, they are sweet in my opinion.
    Check out the review at Cnet to get more info.
    I know what you mean though...$5 per household for a DVR charge adds up after a long time...but cable and Dish have the same type of charge, although they may word it differently.
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I thought they worked like a VCR, I didn't know you had to pay a fee to record that to me is just retarded. The signal passes through like a VCR except unstead of using a tape you are using a hard drive to record. I was looking at getting the HR21 Pro series by Directv but if I still have to pay a fee per month to record anything I'm just not too sure. If I go with their plan and I rent one instead of buying one the monthly fee would be $5 for the use of the service and $5 for the rental of a unit of their choice.

Thanks for the info guys
    Dave
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,189
    edited October 2008
    Options
    The fee is for the service, which includes the ability to record series, (and it will automatically change the time if needed), determine whether a show is a first run or repeat, and a whole slew of other things. This comes from the advanced program guide, which goes out for 14 days in advance. Dish TV, Directv, Comcast, TIVO, etc, all have a DVR service fee. The stand alone Tivo monthly fee is double what Directv charges.

By the way, I wouldn't recommend buying the DVR. I would just lease it. That way, if it breaks, they replace it. DVRs are not known for their stout reliability. If you are a long time Directv user, you can negotiate to get the leased HDDVR for free, or maybe just a minimal install charge ($20?).

I got two HDDVRs installed for about $120. One for the bedroom, one for the living room. They are both leased.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,937
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I thought they worked like a VCR ...
    Only the very few (in the U.S.) independent products, such as the Philips mentioned above, work like a VCR, with some added advantages (editing, recording to a DVD, pause Live TV functions, upscaling standard DVDs to HD ...).
    Alea jacta est!