psw 450 HELP

Options
I need some advise from the pros,which is the best way to hook up my sub. right now i'm using the LFE,but my receiver will only go down to 50 mhz,i'm told my using the LFE i have bypassed the subs crossover is this true.will i get a better sound by using the speaker connections on the sub.95% of the time i'm listening to DD 5.1 on this system.thanks for any help. PS: i'm looking for a new receiver in the 500.00 dollar range. which one is the best. i have read many reviews, very hard to pick one.
Post edited by YZFR1RACER37 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Set your speaks to small, the filter point to 80Hz on the receiver, and plug the LFE cable into the LFE (Unfiltered) port on the PSW450. Set your LFE level to -3 on the receiver and adjust to your desired sub volume with the sub amp volume control.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Dr. Spec,

I have a PSW350, not a 450 and all speakers set to small, crossover is 90Hz (fixed on my Yamaha RX-V595), and connected via the LFE connection with LFE output level at "0" (scale is -20 to 0). All levels are calibrated using the S & V disk.

What, if any, is the advantage of setting the LFE out to -3dB?
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Usually LFE scale is from -10 to +10. Yours is from -20 to 0, but the overall range is the same and the circuitry should react the same.

The idea is to avoid extremes at both ends of the spectrum, and if possible go a little bit below the halfway point.

Going all the way down to -10 (or -20 in your case) provides a very weak LFE signal and can make auto-on circuits tough to activate. Also, the S/N ratio is at its highest when the signal strength is at its lowest.

At the other end of the spectrum, maxxing out the LFE circuit to +10 (or in your case 0) often results in signal compression problems (the equivalent of the tiny pre-amp clipping). The dynamic range of the bass suffers as a result.

So a little less than half is what most industry experts suggest to completely avoid signal compression problems, still effectively activate auto-on circuits, and still maintain a decent S/N ratio.

In your case, you might want to try -13 and add the lost volume back in at the sub and see if the bass quality changes any. Also see if the sub is "sleepy" for auto on and if it is, you might want to bump it to -10. But I wouldn't go much higher than that.

SVS
  • jgido759
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks Doc, although it sounds fine in it's current configuration (I don't listen anywhere near reference level), I will try your suggestion as there might be some distortion present not noticable at lower listening levels.
    -Drew Carey

-Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • YZFR1RACER37
    YZFR1RACER37 Posts: 12
    edited January 2003
    Options
    thank you i made some adjustments things are sounding much better.IT'S LIKE A ACT OF GOD TO GET MY SYSTEM IN THE SHOWCASE.I HAVE EMAIL THEM FOUR TIMES NOW,AND NO REPLY.OH WELL
  • jgido759
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    Usually LFE scale is from -10 to +10. Yours is from -20 to 0, but the overall range is the same and the circuitry should react the same.

The idea is to avoid extremes at both ends of the spectrum, and if possible go a little bit below the halfway point.

Going all the way down to -10 (or -20 in your case) provides a very weak LFE signal and can make auto-on circuits tough to activate. Also, the S/N ratio is at its highest when the signal strength is at its lowest.

At the other end of the spectrum, maxxing out the LFE circuit to +10 (or in your case 0) often results in signal compression problems (the equivalent of the tiny pre-amp clipping). The dynamic range of the bass suffers as a result.

So a little less than half is what most industry experts suggest to completely avoid signal compression problems, still effectively activate auto-on circuits, and still maintain a decent S/N ratio.

One more question Doc. My Yammie has 2 settings relative to the subwoofer, Sub Level & LFE Output. If I am reading my manual correctly, Sub Level referes to the "volume" of the sub through the receiver while LFE Output refers to the "LFE Signal Level" being sent to the sub via the connection. The range in both is -20 to 0, with 0 being the default. Which setting should be reduced, or should they BOTH be reduced?

Thanks.
    -Drew Carey

-Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    This is called an LFE "trim" control, and I don't have a full grasp of why there are two different controls for sub volume and LFE volume.

Anyone else care to take a stab who owns a receiver with both?

SVS