Cab Issues

Options
zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited October 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
The intro:
I love my pair of RDO Monitor 5Jrs and as many of you know, I've rebuilt the eff out of them. :p I knew that the cabs were shady when I got them, but originally got them more as a trial. I look at taking off the peeling vinyl and veneering them a while back, but realized that a few of the corners were busted in and had some damage on the edges. It doesn't effect the sound (or maybe it does but that's what I've know :eek:) but the look of the speakers don't do the sound justice. I even had a good friend who came over and listened to them and said, "Those sound great! But when are you going to make the cabinets match?"

The ideas:
My first consideration was puttying up the corners and edges, then veneering like normal. However, putty doesn't always build that well, and I don't know how strong it would be either.
My second consideration would be building new cabs altogether. Not only would this give me a structurally sound platform, but I would be able to build them to any finish I desire. (Maybe oak sides with a carbon fiber front?) I'll post pictures later tonight when I get home of the actually damage, but please share any ideas as warn cabs are ugly...

PS. This all might be an excuse for a new project, but I'm not sure.
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Aren't the cabinets themselves made of particle board? I'd be concerned that, even if you got putty to build up well enough, the underlying material would disintegrate still.

If you're going to put that much time and effort into it, I'd just build new cabinets. It's more fun, anyway. :)
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • John30_30
    John30_30 Posts: 1,024
    edited October 2008
    Options
    bondo or (rock)water-putty.
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Good old bondo.

I say build a new box.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited October 2008
    Options
    John30_30 wrote: »
    bondo or (rock)water-putty.

Never heard of (rock) water-putty, what is it?
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • John30_30
    John30_30 Posts: 1,024
    edited October 2008
    Options
    strider wrote: »
    Never heard of (rock) water-putty, what is it?

Basically a powder you mix water with. Used to come in these old-fashioned type cans. It's got a setup time a bit longer than bondo, but after that, forget it. Paint store might know where to find it, or a local hardware store.

However, particle-board really isn't a good base to mold to long-term.
    If you've got access to a table saw you might consider picking up a sheet of 1/4" oak plywood and just cladding the speakers with that. Make some hardwood edging, sand, and you're basically ready to finish.

Or,hell, just go with your instincts & rebuild them from scratch. You know you want to.
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Pics plz.

If you have any experience buildings boxes, definitely build new ones to match the rest of your gear.
  • Jeff Beaird
    Jeff Beaird Posts: 217
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Just make sure whether you use Bondo, putty, or whatever... Get ALL the loose pieces of particle board out of the damaged area or your patch will just fall out when done. As it has nothing to adhere to. Use a wire brush or pick around the area with a screwdriver. A heat gun will get the paper laminate off.
    Fill, sand smooth, paint your done..! Oh yah, I forgot to add about 10-40 hrs. of BS&T...:D
    Thanks, Jeff...