speaker popping

nellis8166
nellis8166 Posts: 292
howdy,
i am currently testing an Adcom GFS7400 to drive my mains and center. when i turn the power on my speakers pop, same when i turn them off. i have it plugged into a Monster HTS1000. is this normal, and it there anything i can do to prevent it. any impressions on Adcom amps??? this thing sounds great, brought out elements in music and movies i have never heard before. really kicked up the low end.

regards,
nat
RTi10
CSi5
RTi28
SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
-J. James
Post edited by nellis8166 on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Nellis,

I believe you are hearing your amp’s capacitors charging and discharging when power is applied and discontinued, respectively. Some amps have output switches that intercept these "noises", but a lot do not.

Simplest solution is to leave the amp on all of the time. In addition to eliminating your pop concerns most hold that this is easiest on the amp, i.e., cycling circuitry elements on and off is more taxing than staying on at idle. What does your manual say? If nothing, consider calling Adcom.

My Carver amp does not even have an On/Off switch (I don't think any of the old Carvers do). I wired in a switched outlet to the back of my cabinet for convenience, but only cut off the power when going on vacations, etc., or if electrical storms were moving through my area. When I switch off the power I hear a bit of a discharge “thump”.

As for Adcom… I never owned one, but have admired their approach from afar for a long time. You seem happy with it and that's what counts. You’ll find more than your share of Adcom devotees in the Club…
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • nellis8166
    edited January 2003
    thanks for the advice, i turned the adcom on this afternoon and left it on while i was at work.
    i noticed that it gets warm just being idle with no signal passing through it. is this normal???
    sorry for the basic questions, i am new at this stuff. again thanks for your help.

regards,
    nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2003
    It's normal for Adcom amps to make popping or (for a lack of better words) farting noises when powered on or off. Happens everytime. I have 4 of the GFA-535's, excellent amps. They will get mildly warm if left on for long periods of time so I just shut them down when not in use.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • nellis8166
    edited January 2003
    thanks Ron, glad to know i am not the only one.

Regards,
    Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

-J. James