Need Ideas/help choosing an amp

rickytwo
rickytwo Posts: 3
edited October 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just got the new speakers for my 99 GMC Sierra Reg Cab truck I went with MOMO MMC460 4X6 plate for the rear pillar and MOMO MMC 6500 6 1/2" Component for the front door. The problem I'm having is I don't really know what amp to go with. I'm thinking I need a 4 channel amp because of the difference in RMS wattage 125 w/rms for the components and 50 w/rms for the 4X6. Any Ideas?
Post edited by rickytwo on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2008
    The momo's upfront are rated at 125watts rms and the 4x6 at the back are at 50watts rms. I would hook up the momo's to a 2 chanel amp eg polk PA 250.2 (90 watts per channel) and let the rears run off the HU. The rears in any case are sound fills.

Down the line you can add a sub and mono amp to drive the sub.

good luck.
  • rickytwo
    rickytwo Posts: 3
    edited October 2008
    Well thats the thing with the limited space in a reg cab truck I really don't want to use it for a sub because I have to carry a decent amount of stuff for work that I don't want to get wet so I keep it behind the seats thats why I'm trying to get the best sound out of what I have for speakers I know it won't have the extra bump from a sub but thats what I have to work with. should I get 2 different amps or am I better off to get a 4 ch amp and if so which do you guys think would be a good choice or choices?
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited October 2008
    Since the rear speakers are so low in that truck and behind the seat I would not bother even installing any. See if you can send them back. Take the MOMO components in the front doors and use the extra money you saved on the rear speakers and buy a better amp for these. With these powered right you will be set all you need is a subwoofer. Which brings up one more point. If you do add a subwoofer the enclosure will block even more of the rear speaker output. Take my word for it you do not need rear speakers in that truck.
  • educatedink
    educatedink Posts: 6
    edited October 2008
    As someone mentioned, forego the rear speakers. I would recommended buying kick panels from Q-logic. Purchase another Momo componenet set (5 1/4). As for an amp, I haven't transitioned to Polk amps just yet. I, personally, recommend Alpine amps. In your case, an Alpine MRP-F550 would be ideal. You can find new ones at around $200+.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2008
    A good 4 channel amp in the 50-75 watt range would work really well. The new Polk PA 200.4 would match up.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D