Too much power, bad damping or filtering?

erickoe
erickoe Posts: 18
edited October 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I,m having a Polk MM465 compo in my door sealed with a MDF speaker ring.
When I,m giving the set 50 watt rms per channel it sounds good but not very loud.
Recommended is 100 watt rms per channel, so I bridge my 4 channel amp to 2x100 watt rms.
The door is giving me too much distortion.
I think I can do 2 things:
Damp my doors again with dynamat or filter the woofer.
What do you recommend me?
I'ts a car from the lease company so i can't do much.
The most easiest way foor me is to put some inline filters between my amp and haedunit because my headunit doesn't support hi or lo pass switching.
Which filter do I have to use?
See following url for info Caliber In-line filters
syslogo.jpg
Post edited by erickoe on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2003
    Question:

Are these speakers mounted behind grilles? If so, that distortion you hear may not be distortion at all. It may be the speaker cone physically contacting the grille. I have run into this problem myself but have not figure out a decent solution to it yet due to the way my speakers need to be mounted at this time.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2003
    Jstas may be right -- if it is the speaker rattling againstthe door panel, then you need to make or get a little trim ring, or a piece of mdf (like 1 inch high is usually more than enouh) to ring around the speaker and give it some spacing between the front of it and the door.

also.... u may not realize how much power you're putting ou thtere --- if the amp is 50 x 4 at 4 ohms.. then bridged it would be 150 x 2.... if its 100 x 2 bridged, it would have to be 33 x 4 rms. (give or take).

thirdly... you need crossovers dude... you can't just run them things free air in the door and expect them not to rattle like hell... you can try getting some RCA plug in crossovers (Fmod brand by harrison labs is fine, but they only make 70 and 100 hertz varieties, you'd want like 80 or 85 for the momo components... so you might wanna look for other brands, but if you see Fmods then you'll know what i'm tlaking about...) or you can try to find/buy or make a pair of 2nd order bass blocker crossovers. see www.the12volt.com for instructions on how to build a set for about 10 bucks in parts.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2003
    also -- even if it is 150 x 2 bridged, that's not too much... i put over 140 on my polk DX comps and they're a pretty good sized step down from the momo sets.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • erickoe
    erickoe Posts: 18
    edited October 2003
    I'm inproved.

Now I'm having my MM465 working on a Soundstream Refence 404s bridged with a active cross-over at HP 106hz among with a Soundstream ESP-2 and a Audiocontrol Epicenter for my Sub.
    It rocks....
    Clean, SQ and very loud.
    The only thing I'm working on is balancing the sound image.
    Mabye experimenting with the tweeter place will help.
    What is the best place to mount the tweeter?
    I'm having the woofers in my door and the tweeters in the mirror corners.
    syslogo.jpg
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited October 2003
    also if you had them at 2 ohms that could be part of the problem too, i had my mm6 comp set at 2 ohms for a few min for extra power and it sounded like absolute ****, took it to lower power at 4ohms and it sounded sweet (not loud enough but sweet none the less)
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.