Need help if possible with speaker hookup

Ackaroth
Ackaroth Posts: 99
edited October 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I bought a cheapy little bass tube for car, and part of it says "Connect blue wire to source unit’s accessory lead or switched 12 volt source (REM)". My head unit has a wire for 12v ignition/Acc and 12v battery/memory. Which should I plug this blue wire to?
Update: Once again allowed on polk forums from work! New job yaaaay. Well sorta.
Post edited by Ackaroth on

Comments

• Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited October 2008
    I have not messed with car audio for some time but I would say connect to ignition/Acc. The memory lead is hot all the time. Is the sub always powered on or "auto powered"?
  • Ackaroth
    edited October 2008
    I went with that one yes. I think the sub is just powered when ignition is hit, but sorta a who knows. I guess I will find out if battery tanks tomorrow.

Now to figure out how I am going to fit standard 4x6's in a jeeps 4x6 spot. For some odd reason, jeep calls them 4x6's, but they are skinnier than normal, so tall wise, my speakers fit, but they wont fit wide...wise.
    Update: Once again allowed on polk forums from work! New job yaaaay. Well sorta.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2008
    He is correct, connect it to the ignition wire. You will need to build an adapter to properly fit your 4x6s in.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Libertyc
    edited October 2008
    Crutchfield has a great speaker size selector. It will advise you of what size speaker will fit into you Jeep.
  • Ackaroth
    edited October 2008
    Any suggestion on what to build it out of? Oh and Hi in College Station, I am a few hours away :)

I am trying to finish this project tonight, so I stayed up at the shop where I work. We have a machine shop, but we build reamers and stuff for horizontal drilling, not sure we would have the materials to do what I am wanting to... I may end up zip tying these fuggers in... >.<
  • Libertyc
    edited October 2008
    Zip ties fix everything.
  • Ackaroth
    edited October 2008
    I may have to camera phone a bit of my dash to see yalls input on what I should do :p
  • Ackaroth
    edited October 2008
    So umm... I am thinking about building a fugging box for these damn speakers. Nothing fancy, in fact, I dont think I even have the proper tools to make the oval look right. But I want to finish this damn project tonight, one way or another...
  • exalted512
    edited October 2008
    They sell cheap plastic cutting boards at Dollar General and the like. You could make the adapter plate out of those.
    -Cody
  • Ackaroth
    edited October 2008
    This is true, but they arent open at this hour :p

Walmart is about my only option, and my jeep is basically in pieces. I have a huge shop right behind me, but its not exactly made for this sorta thing, but if I sit here and ponder long enough, surely I can think of something. We have wood, plywood, etc, we just dont have good cutting tools for making ovals, would have to hacksaw it. We use the wood to make boxes, nothing fancy, so about all the tools we have are a skilsaw.
  • exalted512
    edited October 2008
    No jig saw?
    -Cody
  • Ackaroth
    edited October 2008
    No jig saw. I got a plywood cutout but no real way to cut out middle so sound can actually come out, and got no nuts the right size to put on the original mount screws, which I would have to cut short so they dont tear through cone of aftermarket speakers. Looking like I am just gonna have to wait a few days till I get paid and actually buy some damn speakers.
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited October 2008
    What you need is a metra 821010 jeep wrangler speaker adaptor..