FX300s question

Options
tim_alag
tim_alag Posts: 3
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I have the FX300 as my surrounds directly to the sides of the listening area. 5.1 setup. As I understand, the MidWoofer/Tweeter side of the speaker should face the front of the room.

I haven't tried it, but has anybody tried switching these two surrounds? Therefore having the MidWoofer/Tweeter side of the speaker facing the rear wall and the Tweeter only side facing the front of the room. How would this sound?

Thanks
Post edited by tim_alag on

Comments

• marvelous
    marvelous Posts: 38
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have the same speakers in my 7.1 setup. I have not tried them the way you mention, however I am very pleased with the way they complement my system. For the money they are pretty good speakers.
  • tim_alag
    tim_alag Posts: 3
    edited January 2003
    Options
    marvelous
    Thanks for the reply. When I get my 7.1, I will definitely face the MidWoofer/Tweeter foward. I just wonder what it sounds like with 5.1. I'm going to switch them around and see what happens.

Just curios what kind of speakers you have as your rears, center and fronts?
  • Soccerplyr
    Soccerplyr Posts: 160
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have them as well. I don't have them on the side walls but right behind me. They suggest setting them up so they fire away from the listening position. I did what you are thinking about and have them firing into the middle of the room and have found that I like the sound stage better this way.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have them on the side wall in front of my listening position and I
    have them switched around so the main tweeter/ mid woofer face
    me. This set up works for me. The way the room is set up this is the only way I could do it. I know it sounds funny but it really works. Watch something like "Windtalkers" and its frightening as hell. Try it see what you think
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    Options
    i have the 500 with is the same design as the 300 but with bigger woof and tweet. i have 4 of them all setup whe way polk recomend. try the bi/di switch that might help. and on the back wall if they are more than 6 feet apart polk says you shold put the left on the right and so forth and so on.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Nice web page Ganzo - I have been wanting to do one for quite a while now. Maybe this weekend.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited January 2003
    Options
    soccerplyer how do you have your CSI30 Bi-wired?? Just curious as i had that one and it didn't have the capability to do so, was wondering if there was a different way to do this
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Soccerplyr
    Soccerplyr Posts: 160
    edited January 2003
    Options
    How do I bi-wire it, weeellllll..... i don't. Didn't realize I wrote that.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    Options
    thanks scott. it is free but the site bulder that is free dont come with that many optons. i need to over haul the site and get some new pics. i keep changeing things around alot. have my new sub project. trypod and geocities have free sites.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    Options
    tim_alag

i have my fx300 on the side wall a few feet above my couch. they face inward as opposed to being on the rear wall.

The tweeter side faces the rear wall and bounces sound off it. i run mine in bi pole setting. becasue I only have a 5.1 system.. running them this way gives me great rear imaging. Whenever i run a test disc with rear surrounds test on it.. the fx300 sound great.. even though they are compasating for the lack of a rear center. i'm very happy with them.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: