help with the illumination wire on alpine xda-100

ilikesound
ilikesound Posts: 355
edited October 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
i was helping my friend install one of those alpine ipod+usb head units tonite, and came across something strange. He has a VW jetta, 2005, i think, and the harness he bought didn't have any sort of colors for the illumination, and the ignition. we double checked with the local shops and the piece he picked up is in fact the correct model of harness for his ride (so they say)i ended up getting it to work through trial and error, but the thing is, the head unit will turn on when the ignition isn't engaged, thus draining the battery. you have to manually turn it on and off. kind of a bummer. i'm wondering if it's continually draining the battery, even when "turned off". anyone have experience with VW's?
thanks
At Home:
Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
Pioneer VSX-80TXV
Toshiba HD-XA2
Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
Panamax 4300EX
Polk RTi8's
Polk CSi3's
Polk FXi3's. (x2)
Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
JVC HDR-50
stock system in new car for now:(
Post edited by ilikesound on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2008
    So you have the constant tied to the ignition? Yes, that will drain the battery, even if you push the power off.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited October 2008
    almost all cars withh have separate CONSTANT POSTITIVE, and ignition wires to the head unit.

to find it.. turn car off.. use multimeter... ground the -ve lead to car chassis... poke around all wires until u find one that reads +12V DC. label

turn key to ACC position. repeat the poking until 12 shows up... label as ignition.

illumination. keep key on ACC... turn park light switch on... poke around... 12 v.. u know what to do!
  • ilikesound
    edited October 2008
    it's the strangest thing, though. this harness had the following:

2 purple wires (for neg or pos speakers i assume.)
    2 Green wires (also for neg or pos speakers i also assume)
    2 white wires (have no idea, but multi'd them, nothing.)
    one faded yellow (was the 12v)
    one black (obviously ground)

and that's all. seriously. i've honestly never seen one like it. so if it doesn't have an ignition, where....does that wire go?
    again, thanks for the speedy replies. haha. man..cody, have you ever seen that kind of harness? i still think it's the wrong one, but how to be sure if they tell you that you're wrong?
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited October 2008
    FWIW, I did an install in an '04 Jetta and even using the correct harness, I had to run my own switched power wire and tap into something on the headlight/parking light circuit (dash lights) to connect to the illumination wire so the dimmer function would work to darken the HU's display when headlights were on.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2008
    There is no ignition power on those Jetta's, its done through a bus system (a data wire essentially).

You will have to run a wire over to the ignition harness or something else that comes on/off they the key. You also have no illumination wire, that will have to to the parking light wire.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • pentavolvo
    pentavolvo Posts: 68
    edited October 2008
    x2 thats how it has to be done
  • ilikesound
    edited October 2008
    oh ok, i thought i was going insane for a minute there. thanks for the replies guys, you really saved me.:)
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)