Disassembly of M3 speakers

Options
Chameleon2
Chameleon2 Posts: 112
edited October 2008 in Vintage Speakers
Blew out a M3 speaker - need help in taking it apart.

Also need thoughts on what might have failed.

thanks.
Post edited by Chameleon2 on

Comments

• BrettT1
    BrettT1 Posts: 560
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I've got an older pair around here somewhere with a blown tweeter. I got the replacement tweeter and messed around with them a while back. I think I used a flathead screwdriver or stiff putty knife to pry out the enclosure around the bad tweet. It was siliconed together also, so I had to work at it a bit.

Not sure what might have went wrong with yours.

Good luck.

Brett
  • Chameleon2
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Well, got it apart with the help of a large screwdriver.

No silicone, fortunately.

Pics attached; will be curious to find out how much a new "MW5800" is.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2008
    Options
    polkcs@polkaudio.com
    1-800-377-7655, Option 1
    (410) 764-5470 FAX
    International +1-410-358-3600
    Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30pm EST (North America)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Chameleon2
    edited September 2008
    Options
    3 minutes to respond?

what took you so long :rolleyes:....
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Would you like me to guess at the cost? OK, $48. The best answer in regards to the cost of that particular tweeter is to call CS tomorrow.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Chameleon2
    edited September 2008
    Options
  • BrettT1
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Was the driver siliconed into it's enclosure? Maybe it's because mine are model # AWM3 and are designed for "all weather" purposes.

Glad you've got it sorted.
  • Chameleon2
    edited October 2008
    Options
    No repair for M3's; they don't make any replacement parts (the MW5800 in particular) for it because it's so old.

Also, I just purchased (9/19) two new drivers for my RM3000's; 1 failed the second time I used it.

Apparently, the crossover assemblies for these relics are failing (would have been nice to have known this before I bought the 2 drivers).

Because they are old, it's not going to be worth getting all four (2 M3's and 2 RM3000's) repaired even if the MW5800 was still available.

I guess I can count on the RM1000 s/w failing soon as well.

Let's see, while they last, the RM3000 as the LF and the M3 the RF....

Not a good home audio day.

:mad:
  • BrettT1
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Great excuse to get some new stuff!
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Well I bought 2 sets off of ebay and then turned to this forum for a 5800 driver $25.00 they work great now. I had bought some other ones for the patio and they were ok but then the wife said what are those I thought you were getting me polks I want some M3s ......

So I was like yes MAM.....
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Amen.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited October 2008
    Options
    When I received mine they sounded ok ....so I played more cds and was it sounds like one played at a lower volume than the other ....one 5 1/4 was completely locked up..... I even tried to budge it......man she was there too stay....

I too shared the same problem like how amI going to open this thing. One set of mine has screws other set is just like yours.... There good little speakers for the screened in patio....
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables