Termination advice needed

Options
fbm211
fbm211 Posts: 1,488
edited September 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
The cardas spades I ordered should be here monday so Id like some advice on terminating them.Ive never done this before and these spades are supposed to be soldered.So,do you solder at both open ends after inserting the wire?Or just one end.
SDA-2BTL with custom IC
Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
Harman Kardon T-55c TT
DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre
Post edited by fbm211 on

Comments

• ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Just one end, from the back.

You'll want to solder it with considerable heat, like 35-40 watts.

Insert wire, and then heat both the wire and the connector. Allow the solder to fill the hole. It will flow quite well on its own once hot. You want it to flow naturally. There might even be a bit showing from the other end of the tube which is fine.

Once soldered, give it a quick brushing with a q-tip or toothbrush and maybe use a bit of rubbing alcohol to clean the residue.
  • awe-d-o-file
    awe-d-o-file Posts: 146
    edited September 2008
    Options
    tin the wire first and have something to hold the spade as it will get quite hot.

ET

System: MF Trivista SACD > Placette passive> CJ passive horizontal bi-amp> MF 2500A(LF) MF2100(HF) > 1.2TL's

Other: Speltz silver Eichmann IC's & speaker wire, Econotweaks Detail Magnifiers, PS Audio P-300(source), R. Gray 600, Al Sekala's AC R/C filters, R. Gray HT PC's, Oyaide R-1's,WPC-Z , M-1, Herbie's & DIY Isolation
    Room: Qty 7 - 4' tall 18" diam. bass traps, Qty 4 - 4' X 2' X 4" panels. All DIY - man my wife is tolerant!
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Also, if you solder is having problems flowing, trying starting the soldering with liquid solder on the tip of the iron already. It can really help in the heat transfer. (I actually find it necessary most of the time)

Also, I would suggesting using a panavise or "helping hands"; something to hold and support to spade and wire while you solder.