Plugging McIntosh MA6100 integrated amplifier

Options
johnetix
johnetix Posts: 2
I have a McIntosh MA6100 integrated amplifier and I don´t know how to plug it right. I got it recently from a friends friend, and I don´t know if my problem is because it doesnt work ok, or if I have to do a better wiring:

When I simply plug my Ipod/CDplayer/Laptop in the input channels like aux, tuner, tape, etc.. Nothing happens.

When I plug it directly to the Power Amp channel, I can hear the music, but I cannot control the volume or any of the switches.

I saw here "http://mcc.berners.ch/integrated-amplifiers/MA6100.pdf" that there is some kind of conection between the preamp and the power amp channels (a jumper perhaps?).
So I tried to do it: I plugged my Ipod to the AUX input, and with a regular 1,5 feet long RCA cable I plugged the preamp with the power amp, and it worked, but the sound was awful. It made noises and sounded as it was too far away.

Does anyone know what can I do?. As I am an amateur in this sort of things and also english is not my main language, I beg you if you can be explicit. Thank you very much.
Post edited by johnetix on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2008
    Options
    one part is correct, you have to use the U shaped jumpers to tie the preamp to the power amp section, if they are not available (sounds like yours are missing in action) you have to use an interconnect cable. OK you knew that part, because that's what you did.

Now for the "it sounded awful and made noises" um, try a different RCA cable if you have one, make sure you did not plug it into phono1 or phono2, use AUX input.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • johnetix
    johnetix Posts: 2
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Thank you for your answer.
    hoosier21 wrote: »
    ...you have to use the U shaped jumpers to tie the preamp to the power amp section, if they are not available (sounds like yours are missing in action) you have to use an interconnect cable.

How is this U shaped jumpers called? I ask for them in the shop just like that?
    hoosier21 wrote: »
    Now for the "it sounded awful and made noises" um, try a different RCA cable if you have one, make sure you did not plug it into phono1 or phono2, use AUX input.

Do you think that the bad sound could be fixed with a better cable?
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2008
    Options
    johnetix wrote: »
    Thank you for your answer.

How is this U shaped jumpers called? I ask for them in the shop just like that?

Do you think that the bad sound could be fixed with a better cable?

What is it called, I am not sure, it is easier to use the interconnect like you are doing.

Better interconnect? I was really saying that you might have a damaged interconnect, not that a better quality interconnect would solve your problem.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2008
    Options
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche