comparison- MMC6500 VS. New MM series

ilikesound
ilikesound Posts: 355
edited September 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
So i've been growing quite accostomed to the sound of the MMC6500 series over the past couple years, and feel i want to upgrade. I don't have alot of cash to dish out for anything crazy and was wondering if there's something that would do for around $350. I saw the new line of MM's and they look to be pretty nice. anyone have any experience in how these compare to the MMC series?
At Home:
Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
Pioneer VSX-80TXV
Toshiba HD-XA2
Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
Panamax 4300EX
Polk RTi8's
Polk CSi3's
Polk FXi3's. (x2)
Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
JVC HDR-50
stock system in new car for now:(
Post edited by ilikesound on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2008
    Well the mobile monitor series replaced the momo series, so id think while you might hear a difference, itd be more of a side step than a step up. Do you have your doors deadened? I would start with that if you havent. $350 going to the install when you already have good speakers will get you a lot better sound than trying to replace them.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited September 2008
    yea, my car's ALL done up with insane amounts of all kinds of SecondSkin product, all in the right places. I think i've just gotten used to the sound of everything. I dunno, it just sounds like it's lacking. Perhaps I should add a processor, as i'm just not happy with the speakers and the momo amp that it's running off of. Another factor MAY be my car, but i still think they should sound a little bit more forceful in the midrange department. Not the mid-bass, just mid-range.. They do seem a bit bright even with crossover adjustments. Maybe i'm just too much of an audiophile for these. perhaps i should just get the SR's and call it a day..They're only around $600 right now locally..
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited September 2008
    If you can get the SR series that would 2-3 steps up for sure. I have the momo components running of the polk 500.4 amp and I like the sound. I had my momo crossovers at -3db till macleod suggested -6db, whcih has made a significant diff to the balance of sound.

A friend recently installed the MM's and while they play louder I think the momos are sweeter. imo

Use the EQ on your HU to boost frequencies between 800-2khz, The tweeters on the momo are quite bright and may need to be set at -6db.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2008
    Purchasing the SRs would be a wise choice then. Hell, you might even be able to sell your old components and recoup some of your costs back.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it