Progressive vs. Color Stream

shuotari
shuotari Posts: 10
I have a Pioneer 47tx receiver and a Toshiba 51" TV. The TV has Colorstream and DTV inputs. The Colorstream says it handles both Progressive (31,5) and Interlace (15.75 kHz) inputs. The DTV says it handles 1080i, 480p and 480i inputs.

I have not tried yet, since I don't want to break anything (aka. smoke my set)

Which should I be using for playback of DVDs?

Scott
Post edited by shuotari on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Set your DVD player to progressive output. This sometimes requires a switch to be thrown on the back in addition to the electronic programming changes.

Run component video cables from the DVD player to the HDTV. Set the HDTV to accept a 480p input from the DVD.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited January 2003
    When the term "progressive scan" was unheard of, Toshiba lead the push towards this technology and coined their own term "colorstream".

No harm will come to your set if you feed a non-progressive signal to these inputs. you'll get a signal that looks like it's descrambled but still not to worry.

Definetly use this connection for best picture quality. There is a difference and in some cases, a big difference.

Btw, nice looking system!
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • BIGECASTILLO
    BIGECASTILLO Posts: 38
    edited January 2003
    IM NEW AT THIS STUFF I JUST HAD A QUESTION WHAT DOES BI WIRING MEAN RUNNING THE GOLD JUMPERS ON THE BACK OF THEM I ASSUMED BUT DONT NO CAN SOMEONE HELP ME
    TV WS 65809 MITSUBISHI HDTV REC ONKYO TX-SR800 DVD SR-5700 TOSHIBHA MAIN RTi70s CENTER CSi40 REAR FXi50s BACK REAR FXi30s SUB VELODYNE CHT15
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Big,
    First run a search on "bi-wiring" and/or "bi-wire". I just checked it and you'll find plenty of discussion on topic. The search button is near the top left of each page. It's always a good idea to search first.
    If your searches ever come up empty, and they will, start a "new thread". Button for this is near the upper right of each page. Go to the "Forum Testing Area" and practice creating a new thread there. It's the learning area for new members. Just say, "Hi I'm new.." and you're off and running.
    Your above question might never have been seen because it's tagged onto a thread talking about video issues. I just happened to stumble across it...
    I'm pretty new myself and I think all "newbies" (as the Club's vets call us) fumble around a bit at first, but you'll get the hang of it soon enough. And these are good folks who will help you along... likely with a bit of ribbing thrown in at no extra charge ;)
    Welcome to the Club... you're going to like it...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD