Monitor to hybrid rt something?

Options
Braddles
Braddles Posts: 228
edited September 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I have had too much time to think lately and come up with a couple of silly idea's.

I have a set of mon12's which ive owned from new and a pr of mon 5's

What if had some boxes made up to RTA15 size and specs, used the SL2500 tweeter, 4 x 6.5" drivers and XO from the 12's and used the 8" PR from the 5's?

I know the RTA15's had 2 PR's but have also read that many thought they were a bit heavy on the bass so was thinking just 1 front PR may be ok. Should i make the boxes a tad bigger to take the 12" PR from the mon 12's?

I have read here that some have looked at the XO from a Mon 10 and a RTA11 and they were the same. Is this correct? If so would i have to mod the XO from the Mon 12 to suit the different driver line up?

Have always wanted a pr of RTA15's but not too many come up for sale here in Australia so i thought i would ask you guys what you thought of my silly idea.

Hey if it doesnt work out i can just put the 12's & 5's back together.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers from OZ!
2 Channel
Amp - Jas Audio Bravo 3.2 set
Power Cord - Tunami GPX
CDP - Marantz cd6002 - Audio gd Ref 5 Dac
Speakers - Tekton Lore,Polk Audio RTA11tl completely refreshed.
Post edited by Braddles on

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2008
    Options
    It's great you became a fan of Polk Audio Speakers, but sad you don't have many opportunities to buy Polk products. I was going to say maybe easier and sound superior to even buy an used set over redesigning something which sounds fine by Polk already.

Good luck in whatever you do.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Braddles
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Hey look there is no probs with the 12's. Like i said i've had them from new.

Im just looking to have a play around and looking to those who have done it before for some advice.
    2 Channel
    Power Cord - Tunami GPX
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Actually you can build some real nice cabs with MDF. A single 12 would work nicely. If you really want to do it I can come up with the cab specs for you. Most important what drivers do you have.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I would just build a new pair of speakers like Ben is suggesting. You could build something that sounds really good, and still keep your great 12s. PM me or Ben (I'm assuming) and we can help you design something; cab, crossovers, and all.

Plus in the end, you will have TWO sweet pairs of speakers... :D
  • Braddles
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Ben,
    The mon 12's are orig cond. So what ever drivers they came with std.
    2 Channel
    Power Cord - Tunami GPX
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited September 2008
    Options
    If the monitor 12's are in good shape I wouldn't trash them to build RTA15's. You can pull one driver if you wish. I think they are 6503's?
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • jimiles
    jimiles Posts: 46
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I have owned RTA15s for almost 15 years and loved them. Mine are modded beyond all recognition.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jimiles/PolkRTA15Rebuild#

Building a set from scratch is an interesting proposition. :)

You are correct; the dual 10 inch passive radiators tuned to different frequencies was an...ummmm...dubious design choice by Polk. It works ok, but seems needlessly complicated.

Monitor 12s are such cool speakers already, I'd focus my efforts on modding them to address their shortcomings before I started from scratch. A few new caps/resistors and a tweeter upgrade would elevate those speakers' performance. They can sound better than you'd imagine. :D

All of that said, if you do decide to start building something from scratch, keep me posted. I'll be happy to offer up whatever technical assistance I can!

Party On :)
    Jake
    Party On :cool:
    Jake

In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and was widely regarded as having been a bad idea.