polk audio sr6500 comparison

CH2500
CH2500 Posts: 7
edited December 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello, I'm new to the forum. Ive searched on here and a few other audio websites, but haven't found an answer. So...

Anyone here have experience with both the Polk SR6500 and the Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS? If so I would like to get your thoughts on each of them, as I am considering these two for my vehicle.

I have heard the SR6500 on a sound board at Tweeter. I have not been able to find a place to demo the 720PRS. I a/b'ed the SR against the Focal 165K2P off of a JL 300/4 so around 75W.

I have to say that I wasn't impressed with the SR's considering how much I've read about them, however that could be a result of the sound board.
Post edited by CH2500 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2008
    The reason why you didnt like the SR's is because I can almost guarantee you they had the tweeter at 0db. If theyd had it attenuated -6 db they wouldve sounded better (Ive got mine -8 db on my processor). Plus the soundboard couldve been enclosed and that can kill the midbass response of a speaker like the SR which is designed to work free air.

Ive not heard the Pioneers yet but I can personally vouch for the SR's, both 5.25's and 6.5's. I ran the 6.5's my first year in SQ competition and the 5.25's last year and did very well both years. This year Im running the 6.5's again and have done well this year too. I took 1st place at the Best Buy Summerfest show last month AND took best of show (my first best of show at a national competition! yay me!! :D ). Couldnt have done it without the Polk's.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • fjuman
    fjuman Posts: 3
    edited November 2008
    I have the Pioneer C720PRS and they are very very good comps for their price. I actually settled for those after I couldn't get the SR6500s delivered to Barbados.

The Polks will have better imaging/staging and will not produce as much mid-bass as the Premiers. Although both speakers can work with low wattage 50-75 RMS i find the premiers work better with the lower wattage range. The tweeters on both sets can be loud if not set right, but in generall the SR6500s has the better tweeters. Although I can't choose which is a clear choice a friend of mine who has installed and heard a few SR6500s prefers those over my Premiers. He just thinks they are "more musical" and the notes just come through better - particularly the high frequencies coming through the tweeters.

We now have a dealer for Polk Car audio and when I change my vehicle for Xmas I am gunna be hard pressed to choose between the Premiers and the SRs which cost 66% more. (Also considering the JL C5s). If I get an amp pushing 75w x 4 i might end up with the Premiers, if i get something more powerful I think I will go with the SRs.

BTW, listening to the SR6500s on a soundboard will probably not do justice to them. Just too many variables involved which would screw with how they sound.
  • CH2500
    CH2500 Posts: 7
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for the replys. I finally decided to buy all three sets:eek:

I have the Polk SR6500's, Focal Power 165K2P's, and the Pioneer TS-C720PRS.

I'm going to a/b them in my truck and then sell the two I feel are the lesser ones.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2008
    Now that is how you do it!

Remember, with the SR's keep the tweeters attenuated and try to get them as much on axis as possible. Theyre very directional.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D