Motorcycle Audio Help

Roxnatwist
Roxnatwist Posts: 9
edited February 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just bought a new, aftermarket fairing for my HD Road King. I'm trying to put together a system for it and am struggling. I'm trying not to spend a fortune for two reasons, 1) This is a detachable fairing that I won't be using all the time and 2) it would be relativiely easy for someone to steal the whole setup. So, here's what I have decided so far:

I like the Polk MM651's. They're waterproof and great quality. I've had Polk home speakers for a long time and they never fail to impress me. This fairing will hold a pair of 6-1/2".

I have chosen a Kenwood HU mainly because it has a front AUX input for an MP3 and it's also sat ready( I already have a Sirius subscription). It doesn't put out much power, though so I have to have an amp.

Here's where I'm running into trouble. The 651's are 2.7 ohm according to Polk specs. This being a motorcycle fairing, I am working with a limited amount space adn would like to try to find a boat type amp that has at least some resistance to weather. All the amps I am finding that will fit are rated for either 4 or 8 ohm.

Is there a way this will work without frying the system of should I be looking for a different set of speakers? Maybe a suggestion on a small, 2 ohm amp that doesn't cost a fortune? Maybe I need to rethink the whole setup? Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Post edited by Roxnatwist on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2008
    Those things are highly efficient. I would try running them off the radio first.

But if you're set on an amp, almost all amplifiers rated at 4 ohms will handle 2.7.

Might want to try something like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PYLE-PLMRA120-2CH-2000W-WATERPROOF-MARINE-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ160283429082QQihZ006QQcategoryZ18795QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not the best brand in the world, but its cheap, small, and supposedly marine.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Eric W
    Eric W Posts: 556
    edited September 2008
    How much space do you have to work with? Also the 2.7 ohm nominal impedance is compatible with just about any 4 ohm amp.
    -Eric
    -Polk Audio
  • Roxnatwist
    edited September 2008
    I'm not exactly sure about the space. Probably not a whole lot. The people that make the fairing said anything 8-9" x 6-7" x 2" shouldn't be a problem. My main concern was matching an amp to the speakers. I was looking at the Pyle unit described above. It is the only one I've found that's cheap, small, has about the right amount of power and it's marine rated. I just couldn't get it in my head how an amp rated for 4-8 ohm systems would work with the speakers I want. I certainly don't want to fry the system by not using the right components but I really like the MM651's. The black grills will look awesome with my black bike. I also like the ability to aim the tweeter.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2008
    Eric Wong wrote: »
    How much space do you have to work with? Also the 2.7 ohm nominal impedance is compatible with just about any 4 ohm amp.

Eric, where did you get the amplifier for your bike? If they no longer have it, do you have a brand/model number I can look up?

I'm looking to get one for my bike soon.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Eric W
    Eric W Posts: 556
    edited September 2008
    Roxnatwist wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure about the space. Probably not a whole lot. The people that make the fairing said anything 8-9" x 6-7" x 2" shouldn't be a problem. My main concern was matching an amp to the speakers. I was looking at the Pyle unit described above. It is the only one I've found that's cheap, small, has about the right amount of power and it's marine rated. I just couldn't get it in my head how an amp rated for 4-8 ohm systems would work with the speakers I want. I certainly don't want to fry the system by not using the right components but I really like the MM651's. The black grills will look awesome with my black bike. I also like the ability to aim the tweeter.

There's actually no such thing as a "4-8 ohm amp" (unless you're talking tubes which is another ball of wax...) The amp only reacts to the load that's placed on it. All speakers' impedance goes up and goes down depending on frequency.

exalted512 wrote: »
    Eric, where did you get the amplifier for your bike? If they no longer have it, do you have a brand/model number I can look up?

I'm looking to get one for my bike soon.
    -Cody

I use the MTX TM452. It's 9 1/2" x 7 5/16" x 2 3/8" and it may fit the OP's application too. I usually don't like recommending competitor stuff :lol: but we don't make marine amplifiers. I took it apart and the board is conform coated. It's been on my bike for over a year and I've ridden through some very wet rain storms and in the warmer months I use it just about every day. Hasn't even popped a fuse yet.
    -Eric
    -Polk Audio
  • Roxnatwist
    edited September 2008
    You guys are great! Thanks for all the input. I have a bunch of guys I ride with who I'll trun on to this forum. They appreciate the great info you guys provide here. Once I get this thing all put together, I'll let you know how it turns out. With your all's help, I'm sure it'll be a great system. Thanks again.
  • ajanzalone
    ajanzalone Posts: 128
    edited September 2008
    Roxnatwist wrote: »
    Just bought a new, aftermarket fairing for my HD Road King.
    Thanks,

What aftermarket fairing are you using?
    Audio Research SP5 Preamp
    Quad 405 Amp
    Pioneer Elite DV-48AV -
    Outlaw 950 preamp/processor
    Polk Monitor 10's
    Velodyne VRP 1200 Sub Woofer

Success is having what you want ... but Happiness is wanting what you have!
  • Roxnatwist
    edited September 2008
    It's a FireBagger/Tsukayu. For the money, it's the best thing I've found.
  • BIGG Jim
    BIGG Jim Posts: 5
    edited February 2010
    I have a 2004 Electra Glide Classic and I need to make some audio upgrades before spring hits here in the Midwest. Being a 2004 I am handicap with the old (none HK system update of 2005) but I have a satellite radio and IPOD in use with my stock HD system. I did replace the fairing speakers with a pair of MOMO speakers and a 70 watt 2 channel amp I purchased from a company called **** Foundry. This is where I need some help. The MOMO speakers appear to be beaten-worn out sounding, especially when I use the iPOD. I’m sure the digital quality is what I am hearing.
    I would like to replace the MOMO's with something new and possibly do a subwoofer mounted into a saddle bag to achieve some sense of base. What recommendations would anyone have ?
    Speakers need to replace the stock size which I believe is 4” subwoofer needs to be a marine quality water proof variety.
    And being a rookie to this type of DIY what else do I need ? Subwoofer amp ? and so on

Thanks for the assistance.
    Jim
  • BIGG Jim
    edited February 2010
    The stock Speaker size is in a HD fairing is 5.25
  • Roxnatwist
    edited February 2010
    Jim,
    One thing I found out very quickly is that if you want good sound it doesn't come cheap. I had bought a Pyle water resistant amp that was about 2" too big to fit my fairing. I ended up having to buy an amp specifically designed for a motorcycle but the difference in sound quality with the amp vs. without it is minimal. I even lined the entire fairing with Dynamat to try to get the most out of what I had.
    I have seen guys at Bike Week and Biketoberfest with unbelievable systems on their bikes. I wish I had waited until I had a chance to talk to some of them before I bought my setup. You may want to visit some bike nights and talk to some folks before committing the money.
    One thing I can tell you for sure- I was expecting to get **** kicking sound and didn't. One of my riding buds has 2010 Screaming Eagle Street Glide and his system sounds better than mine. He thinks mine sounds great. It does okay up to about 80 and then you can't really tell what you're listening to. I'm not sure I could get the sound I'm looking for without spending thousands.
  • BIGG Jim
    edited February 2010
    Well I've done most rally’s, seen a lot of different things in my 25+ yrs of riding and thought I had found a crew out of Florida at last at Sturgis rally that had what I wanted...and I lost their card and I can not find them searching the web ( I should have just drop the cash then and had it done). They had a complete 2 or 4 speaker set up with an amps and dual subwoofers mounted inside the saddle bags that just Rocked...the system was Polk and was configured to fit most baggers and worked with the Harley wiring harness.. If I can not locate these guys then I am going to try and do the same on my own, by updating my front speakers with separate tweeters, and then mount some low profile woofers in one of my bags with an amp. My initial search has me looking into Polk's MM5251 speakers.... but then where??? Sure would be a lot easier if I could find that business card !! :