RTi150's vs. LSi15's

Options
Clay19
Clay19 Posts: 27
edited January 2003 in Speakers
In your opinion which would be a better speaker to get the RTi150's or Lsi15's? I Listen to rock like Incubus, some rap, and classic stuff like Steve miller.
-Adcom GTP-502 Preamp
-Musical Designs D-75 Amp
-Polk Ebony LSi9's
-Sony NS500V SACD/CD/DVD
-Velodyne CHT-10
Post edited by Clay19 on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The Lsi series are far superior to the RT series (IMHO).
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    The Lsi series are far superior to the RT series (IMHO).

theres ol frank diggin on his lsi's again...i agree with ol frank
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The Lsi series are far superior to the RT series
    That is just a tad bias.
    2ch rig??????
    Starting a new HT rig??????
    If this is your first leap into Polk and you got the cash. Polk is a only option - then yes LSi IS the way to go.;)
  • Clay19
    Clay19 Posts: 27
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I've had my RT55i's for almost a year now driven by a Musical Designs D-75 Amp and Adcom Preamp, it is purely for 2 channel music enjoyment.
    -Adcom GTP-502 Preamp
    -Musical Designs D-75 Amp
    -Polk Ebony LSi9's
    -Sony NS500V SACD/CD/DVD
    -Velodyne CHT-10
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks.
    The rti150's in my opnion aren't that good.I heard them now 3 times and they don't do it for me.
    I own the Lsi15's so.
    But I'm not you............you be you and tell us what you think.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Hi Clay,
    As you can see below, I have the RT line for home theater and wanted to improve the front soundstage for 2 channel music so traded up to a pair of the RTi150s. I've listened to the RT line for 4 or 5 years now. I haven't heard the LSi-15s myself, but based on member comments here and on "professional" reviews, the LSi-15s seem to be excellent for a 2 channel system at a reasonable cost. Of course, the professional reviewers weren't listening to Incubus!!! I haven't seen the RTi150s reviewed anywhere, but in my opinion they are quite an improvement over the previous RT line from a couple of years ago. I agree with the previous comment about the RT3000 system if you can find it used. Since the LSi-15s and RTi150s cost the same, I'd suggest heading to a local Circuit City store to hear the RTi150s demoed, and find a local dealer for the LSi series to get an audition. I haven't heard of the Musical Designs amplifier before, but make sure it can drive the LSi line (4 ohm). I doubt that's a problem. Only your ears and taste in music can really tell you what to get. There's really no way to compare the speakers because they are such different designs. This may be heresy on this forum, but for the music you mentioned above, you may want to look at Klipsch in the same price range. My guess is with Polks you'd go for the LSi line since you're only interested in 2-channel. If, however, you think you may develop an interest in home theater later, you may want to go with the RT line because you can use the speakers you have now as good surrounds.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited January 2003
    Options
    far as i have heard people on here say a few months ago when the 150's were the new unheard speaker was if you listened to hard rock or such get RTI150, did i not read this?? not exact word, and for the more defined listener get the lsi15's.. seems like my memory serves me on this one.. The 15's are far superior.. but i have heard the 150's and for hard rock, loud music, and such i would rec. the 150's.. more bass, more woofers for that kind of music, But to each is own
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    far as i have heard people on here say a few months ago when the 150's were the new unheard speaker was if you listened to hard rock or such get RTI150, did i not read this?? not exact word, and for the more defined listener get the lsi15's.. seems like my memory serves me on this one.. The 15's are far superior.. but i have heard the 150's and for hard rock, loud music, and such i would rec. the 150's.. more bass, more woofers for that kind of music, But to each is own

The i150's makes me drool
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited January 2003
    Options
    True they cost the same as the 15's but remember you still have to buy a 400 buck center, 600 buck rears, and so on... so just because they cost the same doesnt make them a perfect choice for everyone. Like me, I could have had the 15's but just can't justify the rest of the cost right now assuming a HT setup
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I still haven't yet heard the LSis, but I would venture to say that for hard rock/heavy metal music and for dynamic movie soundtracks with plenty of gunfire, explosions, etc. that the RTi150 would probably be the better choice, especially if you are receiver based. For 2 channel stereo music listening with opera, classical music, or any number of "audiophile approved" recordings that noone ever listens to such as "Mary Ulmer And Her Happy Little Dulcimer" (or some other crap like that), then it's the LSI15 hands down, that is provided you have a seperate power amp for it.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I still haven't yet heard the LSis, but I would venture to say that for hard rock/heavy metal music and for dynamic movie soundtracks with plenty of gunfire, explosions, etc. that the RTi150 would probably be the better choice, especially if you are receiver based. For 2 channel stereo music listening with opera, classical music, or any number of "audiophile approved" recordings that noone ever listens to such as "Mary Ulmer And Her Happy Little Dulcimer" (or some other crap like that), then it's the LSI15 hands down, that is provided you have a seperate power amp for it.
    I think you nailed my thinking on this issue.......:D
    I agree!!!!!
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Look the LSi line is refined and flat. It might take some time to get used to, but it they perform beautifuly with Rock/Metal and with heavy duty soundtracks.

I don't listen to opera or classical music or "Mary Ulmer And Her Happy Little Dulcimer" - but I love my LSi's. ;)
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    If I had a chioce of the two (more the less - the cash), Then i'd go i150's all da WAY! LOL! Get the i40, the i38s, i30 (rear center)..man oll man...can u say? THUMP THUMP THUMP!
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I haven't heard the RTi150's yet, but I think the LSi15's are awesome with rock music!
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I agree with fireshoes. The LSi definately rock. I listen to black, death, goth metal and my LSi9 blows away my 800i. My LSi slams way harder than my 800i. The 800i can't even touch the dynamics of the 9's. I haven't heard any type of music that sounds bad on the 9's. Extreme music played through the LSi is just amazing because it sounds so effortless.

Maurice
  • bigsexy1
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I want to make this perfectly clear guys, I am in no way, shape, or form bashing or dissing the LSi15s. Hell, I still haven't even actually seen them yet, much less heard them, so how can I form an opinion about them yet? I was just stating that I believe that in certian applications and/or sitauations (such as those I SPECIFICALLY mentioned in my previous post), that I belive the RTi150 might be the better choice between the two. However, I also agree with Emlyn, maybe Klipsch would be a better choice in that particular case than either.
  • Emlyn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    It's great to have choices isn't it? In my case, I was limited in my choice by the need to voice match with the other speakers from the RT line for a compromise home-theater/music system. I agree with ATCVenom above in that the RTi150s are an in-between kind of speaker. Not the greatest for all types of music; but still very good at everything. The three small woofer design does seem to make them more refined than the older top dog RT speakers, but maybe at the expense of impact at the low end. The RTi150s do extend deeper than the LSi15s though, although that's not all that relevant if one uses a good musical subwoofer like the PSW650. Maybe another good option to consider is pairing a set of the LSi9s on a good set of stands with the PSW650 or the new 808 when it comes out. I'm thinking that should be awesome as a strictly two-channel music system for about the same price or little more than a pair of the LSi15s or RTi150s without a subwoofer.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Emlyn makes a good point. I see no reason to even consider the RTi150 for anything but a dedicated full range 2 channel application.

For HT, the bass capability is overkill unless you planned on doing without a dedicated sub and running them on large. Russ made a great point in another thread - run the RTi150 on Large or don't even bother and get a smaller speaker.

If that's the case, you are now you are looking at a multiple compromise - 1) they won't do bass as well as the best subs out there, and 2) they require a boatload of power and current to perform at their true potential. The typical 100WPC A/V receiver will have far more than it can comfortably handle trying to drive the RTi150 hard. I'd run these puppies with AT LEAST 300 WPC of high current power in any full range application.

If I was looking to upgrade for a music and HT combination, it would be the LSi9 all the way with a separate powered sub.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Emlyn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Hey Dr. Spec,
    I've learned a lot about bass from your posts here. I'm running my RTi150s and the center with three channels of the 5 channel Rotel 1075. My eventual goal is to step up to the Rotel 1090 amp at 380 watts/channel for the mains, but that has to wait for a while. I do have a hand truck ready to move the amp if I get one though. You're absolutely right about the redundancy of a mediocre subwoofer with these speakers. The PSW-450 sits in the corner like a little lost child while the RTi150s extend lower than it can.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Emlyn,
    just my 2 cents, I have my LSi15 paired up with REL storm III, and I have to say that was one of the decision that I am very happy with. It complements each other that 2 channel performance is so clean. I listened to mainly Jazz and these duo is impressive in the amount of details and soundstage they bring. I use Rotel receiver (rsx-1065) to drive them.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have a pair of the rti150 for ht, powered by a old onkyo m-504.I have them paired with 2 subs & on my denon rec I set the thx to lfe plus mains and hey it shakes the house,and sounds great. The lsi series I listen to was fantastic, but I think they where for 2 chann listening. Just my 2 cents worth
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • mantis
    edited January 2003
    Options
    without listening to the speakers,I don't see how any opnions can be formed.With that being said,please go out and listen,then report back.
    I have heard the rti150's and man,they don't compare anywhere at all.There big and thats it.My opnion of them is that they are not worth the asking price.They sound like a thousand dollar speaker,no more.The bass doesn't sound natural or refined.I expected alot more out of them.
    The Lsi15's are all around a better speaker.In my opnion of course.Whats up with the new black cabnets???I say it looks like they didn't stain them enough.I 'm no fan of ebony,at least Polk's anyway.My Lsi's where ebony,I got them out for cherry.
    Dan
  • DAlba
    DAlba Posts: 124
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I also listen to mostly hard rock/metal. I owned the RT3000p's which were freakin great however they were no where near as musical as my LSi15's and Servo-15. I think my RT5000 system was better for HT than my LSi setup but music is much better on LSi. Overall I am happier with LSi
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    IMO, the RTi150 and the LSi15 are apples and oranges. You can compare them, I suppose, but they are different animals.

Look, I'm just saying, if you demo them at Circuit City, you aren't getting a good demo on the RTi150. Period. As absurd as trying to compare these speakers is (IMO) even more rediculous is trying to compare an LSi demo at a decent hifi shop to a 'demo' at CC. The speakers at CC are hooked up to a receiver and I'm going to bet that they are crossed over at 80hz so you won't ever know what kind of bass they are capable of. I also doubt that you could get one of the salesman to figure out how to up the reciever to put the speakers to 'large' and sub to 'no'. Even if you could, they won't do it. I've tried. They won't.

So, I'm just saying, if you base your opinions of a speaker based on a demo at Circuit City, I think you are selling it short.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited January 2003
    Options
    So, I'm just saying, if you base your opinions of a speaker based on a demo at Circuit City, I think you are selling it short.
    I think this is a good point.But where on earth can you demo Polk speakers????Nowhere thats where.Thats the problem for the last 4 years.Holes in the wall,CC The Wiz but they closed up.No on around here carries Polk.It seems to be a common problem.
    The speakers at CC are hooked up to a receiver and I'm going to bet that they are crossed over at 80hz so you won't ever know what kind of bass they are capable of.
    Really?Funny how easy it is to do yourself.If you run into this problem,set it up yourself,you don't need a salesman to do that.No sub and large.
    With a speaker like the rti150,as good as they should be,why doesn't any good audio stores carry them?Where you can get a demo?There is NONE around here that carries Polk.CC is where there sold, so CC is where to demo.
    Dan
  • bigsexy1
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Actually, for 2 channel stereo music listening, I personally prefer a main pair of towers or powered towers without a seperate sub, and to only use the seperate sub on movies.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited January 2003
    Options
    LOL! I love your new signature mantis. I see you're working for the salon now. What happened to the box cutting business? j/k

Just wondering, do you still have the M1.4 cables? I'm looking around and can't find them anywhere. Are you willing to part with them when you upgrade to transparent?

Maurice
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Really?Funny how easy it is to do yourself.If you run into this problem,set it up yourself,you don't need a salesman to do that.No sub and large

Dan,

Again, you seem to be thinking that I'm picking on you but I'm making a general statement. The speakers and (perhaps more telling) the demos themselves, are apples and oranges.

However, since you bring it up, all the CC's I have been to, have the display set up with all the speakers running off one receiver through a speaker switch in a nice little case that is locked so folks can't screw with it. If your local CC let's you mess around with the setup of things, consider yourself lucky. You are in the minority. Anytime that I've seen anyone attempt it OR tried it themself, you are quickly thwarted by a salesperson.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited January 2003
    Options
    organ,
    yes I have the M1.4s biwires.When I'm ready to part with them,I'll let you know.Glad you enjoyed my new sig.

TroyD,
    Around my way CC doesn't lock up anything.They have an array of receivers/speakers/sources you can swithch from.I never demo'd speakers in small in there or with a sub running.I have listened to CC's best receivers on the rti150's and given all the negitives of demoing in there,thats what I got to demo Polk speakers.Sorry to say thats the way it is.I voiced my opnion of where Polk speakers are sold many times in the past.Polk choose to sell there speakers in there so thats what I got.
    Lsi's I had to travel out of Pa,into NJ and across the state.Over and hour and 20 min drive just to demo Polk in a little better store.They didn't have seperates but High end receivers from Yamaha,Denon and Pioneer Elite.If I ever make my way over therer again,I'll be sure to get my demo on of the rti150's.
    Dan
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Hopefully they carry them there. My store has everything except the RTi150's. It sucks.