Pro driver 2-way horn

Options
zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited September 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Has anyone used pro drivers in 2 channel stuff? I know that it is generally not used, but I like the really high sensitivity and if it's made for high SQ, wouldn't that translate into my living room? Here is the rough design I've been working on using B&C drivers and a 2nd order Butterworth crossed at 1.6kHz to achieve a 12db slope:

1" horn driver with 10" waveguide for the HF (FR: 1K-18K Hz, SPL: 108.5 dB)

10" LF driver (FR: 60-4000 Hz, SPL: 98.5 dB)

circuit2.gif

C1 = 8.8 uF
C2 = 8.8 uF

L1 = 1.13 mH
L2 = 1.13 mH

I will need a little attenuation though because of the 10db difference in the sensitivity, but a few resistors should take care of that.

circuit.gif

R1 = 5.47 Ohms
R2 = 3.7 Ohms

As far as an enclosure, I haven't decided yet. I should probably give that woofer some room to breathe, at least a sq foot, but a big square box with two 10" spheres would be a little ugly IMO.

What do ya'll think?
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2008
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    Has anyone used pro drivers in 2 channel stuff?
    <snip>
    As far as an enclosure, I haven't decided yet. I should probably give that woofer some room to breathe, at least a sq foot, but a big square box with two 10" spheres would be a little ugly IMO.

http://www.emeraldphysics.com/intro.htm

emerald-physics-cs2-speakers-open-baffle.jpg

;)
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • zingo
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Ya ya ya, :p
    I had those in the back of my mind the whole time, and was hoping that my design wouldn't look exactly like them...
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Huh- they discontinued the waveguide. Oh, well, I'm sure you can find a replacement. You could also probably do a little better than those eminence drivers. Keep the Qts fairly high and make sure the driver in question breaks up someplace over 1khz.

Hell, for that matter you could always do a ribbon tweeter, if you wanted something different; you can find them w/; efficiency in the 100db+ range, too.

Obviously, I've been turning this one over. OB woofers, active digital crossover, high efficiency tweeter, pick up an old meridian 565 as a pre-pro to cut out any extra AD/DA conversions....
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • zingo
    edited September 2008
    Options
    With the parts I picked out, it would come to a little over $600 for the pair, drivers only. :eek: The wood wouldn't cost too much since it would most likely end up being an open baffle; and the crossover is relatively simple so that wouldn't cost too much either.