Rock and Roll Reminiscing AAAA to ZZZZ…

Options
Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
edited January 2003 in Music & Movies
OK here’s my plan. A letter a week for (let me see… a.. b.. c.. d.. …z) 26-weeks; 27 if we want to consider groups with numeric names… but who would really want to discuss Three Dog Night? Then again there’s Ten CC… Tell you what; we’ll just handle them with the alphabet, even if they actually used a numeral to start their name (don't know what to do with the artist formerly known as... and he kinda rocks at times). And then we discuss them...

OK…. you with me out there??? No? I'm not surprised, please read on...

Here are some guidelines I’ve cooked up (not to be confused with rules cause I do not intend to become the enforcer):

1. - Separate thread for each letter, which will be repeated four times in each week’s thread title to enable searches… that’s why I did it above (won’t search on “SDA” or “SRS”, or for that matter “sex”, HA, I’ll show you ...you more-than-three-letter-word-Polk-search-engine you…:supermad: )

2. - The week will run Sunday to Sunday.

3. - Only artists whose last name, or the first word in a group’s name with the letter-of-the-week (LOTW’s for short) will be discussed. It’s OK to mention other letter artists, say for comparison purposes, e.g., “Dylan was the rock poet before Bruce, but mumbled more and more through his career whereas Bruce took diction lessons in the late 70’s and…”, or, “First time I saw “LOTW” they opened for “non-LOTW” etc., but discussion stays focused on the LOTW artists folks.

4. - Ditto the above for non-rock artists, but we’ll be liberal here (I think the "RHCP’s" rock, but Falco’s out… “Rock me Amadeus”… my a$$) (Actually I’m listening to "Wolfie" as I write this… Klavierkonzerta Nos. 20 und 12.. Serkin/ Abbado and the LSO on DG… nice, very nice indeed.) Punk? Sure, and bring on the Funk.. Rock-a-billy? Sure as shooting. Do-Wop? Why not? Techno? Won’t say heck no. Glam? What the hell, we can’t leave out Ziggy. But I ain’t gonna spend my time on rappers and “pop-stars”, sorry MJ :( (hee hee), but maybe your sister…, Madonna, Britney (“I’m not that talented…”) et al no way man for this kid... But if it Rocks you, I’m good with it… it’s casual. :cool:

5. - Even if “The” starts the group's name on the record label, the group is not in the “T’s”, e.g., "The Who" are in the W’s and "The Stones" are in the “R’s”. This’ll keep the T’s from getting too fat, although we should be well rested up with the Q’s two weeks prior and would recover with the XYZ’s coming up fast… An added benefit of this approach is that we are sure to avoid the controversy around “The Carpenters”, cause they did officially drop the “The” after they were established (I think it was “his” idea and Karen couldn’t deal with the loss)… then again maybe it wouldn’t have come up. Conversely I think “Bread” wanted to add “The” to their name after they cut Manna, but by then nobody cared… (Yes, I have their first two albums… damn things won’t warp and even survived the flood, but they’ll never see my Nitty Gritty.)
Doc - ya wanna unofficially swap CRAP albums? I'm hunting the "Bay City Rollers"…”S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y…SATURDAY”. :lol:

6. - Threads will start sequentially, but even though a new one has started feel free to go back to any past ones at anytime and add an “I don’t know how we forgot about… :eek: ”.

7. - Post a maximum of two current week LOTW artists per day from Monday through Friday. On Saturday and Sunday, we can go crazy and impress everyone else with the width and breadth of our “musical experience”. Holding off early will give everybody who wants to participate a chance, cause I know there has to be folks out there like me, flipping through their collections, or, worse yet, calling up their Data base… (“control C - control V... BAM… well that covers the AAAA’s”) the second they finish reading this. This guideline should also bring out the obscure first, as in "no one is going to beat me to posting my gems" ;) … Let's start with this guideline and if only three of us are doing it, we’ll adjust the figure…

8. - Discuss whatever you want about the LOTW artists. Records, CD’s, DVD’s, concerts you’ve seen, best system you’ve heard it on, where you were, what you did, what you wore, social significance, etc. But let’s try to stay positive and not get into debates like “is/is not rock” and “he/she’s better than her/him”… The object here is discovery. (Can hardly wait to spring Buzzy Linhart on y’all… in fact, guess I couldn’t wait… New Yawkers and fellow Clevelanders of a certain age have gotta shot at knowing him (and maybe Boston area folk)… rest of you can check out the writing credits on Carly Simon’s “The Love’s Still Growing” or Bette Midler’s “You Got to Have Friends”)

Sorry if I am over taxing you… I got the up-all-night-diarrhea-of-the-fingertips syndrome going here… Hey, the birds are starting to chirp…

What am I trying to do here? I just see this as a way to exchange views and share hidden gems in our uncommon musical experiences in a series of threads that give us a great deal of freedom within a certain structure. I think we could all become musically richer for the encounters. As I said above, the object here is discovery. It happens all the time on, and off, this site. I never would have known about “Television” had it not been for a co-worker a few years ago forcing Marquee Moon down my throat… and folks, it’s a gem. When it, discovery, happens on this site it often seems to either throw a thread way off topic, or the tid-bit itself is way off topic vs. the initial posting. And then the thread police arrive and... In this string of threads you can’t do that, as long as you honor the alphabet.

I’ll even offer to compile artists, recordings, etc. and who in the club raised them as we go along. And I’ll post the running list on my earthlink web page, when I get it up.

Don’t like it? Hey, don’t blame me. --->Paul’s the one who replied to my briefest of mentions of "Wishbone Ash" in the on-going Springsteen thread (as in “Bruce opened for them…”). And then he had to go and mention their third album, Argus, which, you’ll note, begins with an “A”, which got me thinking about Argent…. And I felt obligated to reply to Paul :( , but guity about going off topic :( and I just cracked... OK?... I just cracked..........but I'm much better now...
“And on and on etc., etc., bam” (Sly Stone @ Woodstock…) Sly’s in... He rocked!!!... at least until he started dating Doris Day...

So Paul, you’re in this too. Back me up, like if I go on vacation, you jump start it on Sunday’s, OK?

Doc, you’re a bit to blame, too. Micah’s wonderful reply in your thread requesting classical music input got me going through my classics last night, alphabetically. Mentioned Mozart before, I'm now on the P’s, Prokofiev’s Sym #5, but even just sampling my stockpile, it’s a long nights’ listening. Anyway I’ll post my suggestions for you in a day or so.

And while I’m placing blame for my actions… Bob Carver, you’re in trouble, too, for keeping up the last couple nights. I’ll explain this in more detail in a thread to come... For now I’ll just say I recently took a step in my “journey”, and the Sun is on Fire and it’s so Grand it’s a Cin (and I have Bob’s autograph to prove it). :)

Going to try my first poll on this one. If I feel the love, I’ll post the AAAA’s Sunday evening and reply with Argent to kick it off…. At least I’ll have one reply.

If we do this, and it works, we can start on other genres when we are finshed with, or bored with and suspend the Rock alphabet. Ummmm Blues... Jazz... Classical...

One last thing everybody, please don’t tell me “been there… done that.”… I couldn’t take it… :(

When Prokofiev is finished… next up, Rossini’s Seven Overtures (Chailly/ National Philharmonic Orch.)… I don’t have any Q’s in classical… but there’s always “Quicksilver Messenger Service” for the Rock QQQQ’s…

“Smokin’ cigarettes and watchin’ Captain (kang) Kangaroo; now don’t tell me…. I’ve nothin’ to do”

OK... let me have it....
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by Tour2ma on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    You have waaaay too much time on your hands. And I like Falco.
    I can see were this is headed and to cut it short there are about 20 or so "classic" rock artist to go on about. I got some rock for ya:
    Cradle Of Filth
    Six Feet Under
    Obituary
    Theater Of Tragedy
    Opeth
    Mactatus
    Carcass
    The Sins Of Thy Beloved
    Emperor
    Sort of hard to classify "ROCK" - from A to Z - it could take years.
    And I vote we do Boy Bands next!!!!!!:lol:
  • Paul Connor
    Paul Connor Posts: 231
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Tour2ma,

Surely I will have to read the guidelines again at some point, but I'm with you. As Al Bundy would say, "Let's Rock."

Scottvamp,

Please discuss some of the bands mentioned above in the forthcoming threads. If this is good stuff, I want to know about it. A lot of what I listen to comes from recomendations. (Not from what I read in Rolling Stone) I would love to hear bios and comparisons. Part of the fun of music is also knowing the story behind the band as well as keeping up with newer stuff.

Paul
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Paul, the bands I mentioned are not for the common person. It is called "black metal". Something a little band called "Black Sabbath" started a long time ago. If you believe in GOD u may not want to know. It was just sarcasm referring to bands that would never be mentioned in a to z list. Just top 20 classic rock that we have all heard for the last 30 years.Enter at own Risk :eek:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,830
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Man, you do have too much time on your hands ;) , but it's a GREAT idea so, count me in.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Too much time on my hands (dit dit dit dit dit)

I can live with that.... y'all sound jealous.

F1 and Paul... 1 vote yea; 2 votes nay on official ballot, but if I count your two write-ins, it's 3-2 so I'm doing it (and I don't even lve in FLA)...
    Will post the AAAA thread in a bit (after end of what's a damn good Jets - Raiders match-up) with a link to the "guidelines" and an urge to print them (I know post was way too long)...

Paul, did you at least read far enough to see that I'm counting on you as back-up?

Scott,
    Please opt in... if your musical tastes don't draw alot of conversation... so be it..., but me, I'm looking for the kind of diversity you appear to be offering. Seems Paul is, too.
    Sorry if I stepped on your Falconian toes, I don't particularly like "Rock me Amadeus", but then again, I don't change stations on the car radio every time it comes on. ;) And if you put me onto Falco cuts I like, I'll be in your debt.
    I went to the web link you posted and (so far) have not gone mad... yet.... guess it takes more visits, huh? :(
    And I have "Black Sabbeth" self titled (still love "The Wizard") on vinyl, 3 copies of Paranoid ( I am Iron Man...) cause I wore the first out, the second was a bad pressing leading to the third (also bad pressing, but at least was on the opposite side). So don't go thinking you're completely alone.
    And have no fear, I'm not out to convert you to Christian Rock or anything like that. Also I'm not out to generate a "Top 20 Groups of all time" type list, so rest easy on thay point.

See y'all later at the AAAA next post...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    tour2ma, just given ya a newbie hard time. Hey, I say go for it. I am always open to new music. Just messing with ya. Give us a run down of your system. You have my support. I am just a sarcastic ****.:lol:
    Falco - no not a huge fan but I do like the Bloodhound Gang's randition of the tune.
    I can live with that.... y'all sound jealous.
    No but if you are a 30 year old retired millionaire - then ya I'm jealous. ;)
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    tour2ma
    No but if you are a 30 year old retired millionaire - then ya I'm jealous. ;)

:lol: More like a retired 50 yr old wanna be...

Damn, I was really looking froward to some listenable Falco...

"RnR Reminiscing AAAA" should be up in ~15 minutes. See y'all there.

Don't hate me cause I'm old.... hate me for the Kick-A$$ HT I'm assembling...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli