MM124 has a burnt smell!

LILDRAGON
LILDRAGON Posts: 47
edited January 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi could someone tell me what is wrong with my MM124. It was working fine for about a month running on a Rockford Fosgate 1000bd amp. Now the bass is really low and then it smells like something is burning. Please give me some suggestions. Hope my sub is not defective. Thanks.
Post edited by LILDRAGON on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2003
    sounds.... or should i say "smells".... like a burnt voice coil.

whether or not that is caused by a defect is impossible to tell without inspecting the woofer's internals thoroughly. you can fry a coil due to mfg defect or you can fry a coil becuase you're driving the hell out of it beyond its power rating or in some other way giving it ill power or having it wired improperly in a multivoice coil/multisub setup.

but i've hooked enough jensen 30 watt factory replacement speakers up to the 110 V AC wall outlet to know that smell = blown voice coil...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2003
    if youre running the 1200 watts from that amp into that speaker thats rated 500 you mightve pushed a tad bit too hard
  • LILDRAGON
    LILDRAGON Posts: 47
    edited January 2003
    At 4ohms the amp is pushing 500 RMS which is exactly what the sub wants. I am running a single MM124 also. Is this covered under warranty?
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2003
    whether or not its covered under warranty is the discretion of Polk Audio...

as far as what I "think" -- if its a DEFECT that caused it to become damaged, they'll probably cover it as long as you have your orinal receipt of purchase from a registered polk audio dealer. if its damaged because you had the bass on your headunit cranked to "plus 10" and the loudness button on and you ran the thing at full volume playing a bass mechanix cd... then it might not be... whether or not they can really tell the difference is anyone's guess.

if you've got the paperwork and its within the 3 year warranty period than call them up and say "hey can you help me out" -- chances are they'll have you shipping the sub to California for evaluation and then repair / replace at their discretion (if they deem that it is a warrant-able repair).
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge