1800 watt class d mono amp

joker187
joker187 Posts: 25
edited September 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Dual 4 ohm vc's each. Ok read the instruction carefully on wiring each sub for 8ohms then parallel the two subs at the amp for a 4ohm load. This will give each sub 250 watts. Even though you can get more out of wiring for 1 ohm you may like the SQ at a 4ohm load more. Try it.
(Ben/polk guru)

he told me to come to you guys...so would this be correct im trying to hook up 2 dual 4 ohm speakers to a 1800 watt kenwood amp 500x1 chan@4 ohms 900x1 chan@2 ohms. the speaker 400 watt rms 800 max amp off course is 1800 watt peak...i want to hook both subs to amp seperate ++-- but @ 4ohms to get the 500watt so i dont blow anything.will the 1800 watt split and give me 900 peak to both subs then the 500 watt split and give me 250 watt rms to each?
Post edited by joker187 on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited September 2008
    joker187 wrote: »
    Dual 4 ohm vc's each. Ok read the instruction carefully on wiring each sub for 8ohms then parallel the two subs at the amp for a 4ohm load. This will give each sub 250 watts. Even though you can get more out of wiring for 1 ohm you may like the SQ at a 4ohm load more. Try it.
    (Ben/polk guru)

he told me to come to you guys...so would this be correct im trying to hook up 2 dual 4 ohm speakers to a 1800 watt kenwood amp 500x1 chan@4 ohms 900x1 chan@2 ohms. the speaker 400 watt rms 800 max amp off course is 1800 watt peak...i want to hook both subs to amp seperate ++-- but @ 4ohms to get the 500watt so i dont blow anything.will the 1800 watt split and give me 900 peak to both subs then the 500 watt split and give me 250 watt rms to each?

Peak numbers aren't much use- links to the exact amp and subwoofers you are talking about please...this will help alot. We can't tell you whether the subs and amp are compatible with one another unless you quote all power specs in RMS terms.

If you intend to take two dual voice coil subwoofers (4 ohms per coil) and wire them up to present a 4 ohm load to the amplifier, you can wire the coils on each sub up in parallel ++,-- for 2 ohms per sub, then wire one sub in series to the other for a total impedance of 4 ohms at the amplifier terminals.

An illustration: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=42