1800 watt class d mono amp

joker187
joker187 Posts: 25
edited September 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
how does a mono amp work i have 2 15 polk 400/800 rms/peak and a 1800 watt max amp it is 500 watts x 1 chan. @ 4 ohms 900 watts x 1 chan. @ 2 ohm...will that be okay? also how does mono work, is it the 500 is split so 250 wat by 250 watt will 900 watt peak to both subs?
Post edited by joker187 on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited September 2008
    A mono amp is just one channel. Your amp may have 4 speaker terminals, but both negs, and pos terminals are actually tied together. This makes it easy to hook up two speakers. How many ohms are your subs?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • joker187
    joker187 Posts: 25
    edited September 2008
    there dual 4 ohms...i have both of them hook up at 4 ohms. so the ++-- on the amp are tied together so that means the 500 watt x 1 chan is split right. so there's only 250 watt goin into both speakers then? and is the 1800 watt peak split so then the peak is 900 watt for each?
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2008
    If you got 2 subs @ 4 ohms hooked to amp together ++-- then the amp sees 2 ohms and your feeding them the 900 watts. But you're correct whatever the amp pushes the 2 subs will split the feed equally together.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• ben62670
    edited September 2008
    Dual 4 ohm vc's each. Ok read the instruction carefully on wiring each sub for 8ohms then parallel the two subs at the amp for a 4ohm load. This will give each sub 250 watts. Even though you can get more out of wiring for 1 ohm you may like the SQ at a 4ohm load more. Try it.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited September 2008
    You may want to move this to the car audio section. Those guys know much more than I about car stuff.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • curved
    curved Posts: 664
    edited September 2008
    Here is the deal with that amp.....

-Mono Amp = 1 channel - only 1 positive and 1 negative terminal.

Are you speakers DVC (dual voice coil)? You better hope your amp is 1 ohm stable running 2 DVC subs because you'll be dipping down below 2 ohms for sure!!

You generally do the following:
    a. Buy a mono amp and 2 single voice coil subs - amp will be running at about 2 ohms
    b. Buy a 2-channel amp and 2 DVC subs - run them in stereo (will be running at about 2 ohms)
    Living Room:....................[HTML] [/HTML] Zone 2 (Workout Room):
    AVR - Yamaha RX-V757......JBL 4312 Pro Monitors
    Pre - Nak CA-5
    AMP - Adcom 555 (Main)
    Main - Polk RTI8**/RTiA5
    AMP - Adcom 545II (Center)
    Center - Polk CSiA4**
    Sub - Snell Basis 300:p......Zone 3 (Outside)
    CD - Yamaha CDC-555.......Def Tech AW5500
    TV - Pani TH-42PZ80U
    BR - LG BD390
    Monster HTS1600 Power Center
    Dedicated Circuit - (2) 20amp, (1) 15amp
    Ben's IC, Canare 4S11

**Dayton and Sonicap Caps with Mills Resistors**
  • ben62670
    edited September 2008
    curved wrote: »
    Here is the deal with that amp.....

-Mono Amp = 1 channel - only 1 positive and 1 negative terminal.

Are you speakers DVC (dual voice coil)? You better hope your amp is 1 ohm stable running 2 DVC subs because you'll be dipping down below 2 ohms for sure!!

You generally do the following:
    a. Buy a mono amp and 2 single voice coil subs - amp will be running at about 2 ohms
    b. Buy a 2-channel amp and 2 DVC subs - run them in stereo (will be running at about 2 ohms)

Or wire them for 4 ohms;)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • curved
    curved Posts: 664
    edited September 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Or wire them for 4 ohms;)

You can't do that with a mono amp and DVC subs. Each voice coil has it's own positive and negative connection. Running 1 4 ohm DVC sub on a mono amp will have you dipping below 4 ohms. I thought it is roughly 2.7ohms. It's been a while since my car stereo days though. ;)
    Living Room:....................[HTML] [/HTML] Zone 2 (Workout Room):
    AVR - Yamaha RX-V757......JBL 4312 Pro Monitors
    Pre - Nak CA-5
    AMP - Adcom 555 (Main)
    Main - Polk RTI8**/RTiA5
    AMP - Adcom 545II (Center)
    Center - Polk CSiA4**
    Sub - Snell Basis 300:p......Zone 3 (Outside)
    CD - Yamaha CDC-555.......Def Tech AW5500
    TV - Pani TH-42PZ80U
    BR - LG BD390
    Monster HTS1600 Power Center
    Dedicated Circuit - (2) 20amp, (1) 15amp
    Ben's IC, Canare 4S11

**Dayton and Sonicap Caps with Mills Resistors**
  • ben62670
    edited September 2008
    It actually works pretty good. Less watts per sub, but not a big difference. Most half way decent sub amps are 1 ohm stable, but I don't like less than 2 ohms. Wire the VC's in series, and hook them up to the amp.
    Joker pretend that the two speaker terminals are one, because that is what they really are;)
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited September 2008
    If it's gonna be crossed over below 100 Hz and the sole intent is to make noise than less than 2 ohms will be fine. Just might be a bit muddy and you will be pushing that amp hard.

So if you wanna go boom, wire for 1 ohm as long as the amp is 1 ohm stable. if you want clean sound, a 4 ohm load is the way to go.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!