Monster Cables for Speakers and AMP

vfx
vfx Posts: 34
edited September 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm paying 3x premium over the other brands for Monster cables for all my audio accessories. Is it really worth? Do they really make the sound better? I got a monster 4 Channel Audio Interconnect that claims to have -60DB. What the h@ll that means vs the one with -50db? is this some sort of marketing marvel?
Post edited by vfx on

Comments

• concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited September 2008
    I'd search around these forums for opinions on Monster Cable.

General consensus is that it's overpriced, mediocre cable made by a company that nobody likes because they're sue-happy.

Personally, i like Audioquest.

And Ben6720 or whatever exactly his numbers are sells cables that he makes that everyone seems to like. I"ll be trying them in the fairly near future myself.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2008
    vfx wrote: »
    I'm paying 3x premium over the other brands for Monster cables for all my audio accessories. Is it really worth? Do they really make the sound better? I got a monster 4 Channel Audio Interconnect that claims to have -60DB. What the h@ll that means vs the one with -50db? is this some sort of marketing marvel?

There is no audible difference between cables. And if there actually were a cable that had its own "sound", you wouldnt want it. A cable has only 2 jobs. 1) transmit the source signal as transparently as possible and 2) reject as much noise as possible. Forget the "smoother highs" or "tighter midbass" and definitely dismiss the claims of "broader soundstage"! Those are characteristics of speakers, not cables.

You want a well made cable so that it will withstand the elements, have a good solid connection and will reject noise and pretty much all the entry level offerings from quality brands will do this. You do want to stay away from shielded RCA's tho as the shielding tends to actually act like an antenna and can induce noise into the signal that otherwise wouldnt be there.

Ignore the marketing hype and general BS and spend your money on what really matters - getting the best speakers you can afford and powerful enough amps to power them.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    There is no audible difference between cables. And if there actually were a cable that had its own "sound", you wouldnt want it. A cable has only 2 jobs. 1) transmit the source signal as transparently as possible and 2) reject as much noise as possible. Forget the "smoother highs" or "tighter midbass" and definitely dismiss the claims of "broader soundstage"! Those are characteristics of speakers, not cables.

You want a well made cable so that it will withstand the elements, have a good solid connection and will reject noise and pretty much all the entry level offerings from quality brands will do this. You do want to stay away from shielded RCA's tho as the shielding tends to actually act like an antenna and can induce noise into the signal that otherwise wouldnt be there.

Ignore the marketing hype and general BS and spend your money on what really matters - getting the best speakers you can afford and powerful enough amps to power them.

You better hope no people from the HA side read that!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited September 2008
    exalted512 wrote: »
    You better hope no people from the HA side read that!
    -Cody

I saw that:p You car audio guys are deaf anyways:eek::p:D
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited September 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    i saw that:p you car audio guys are deaf anyways:eek::p:d
    ben

what?! Speak up, will ya?!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I saw that:p You car audio guys are deaf anyways:eek::p:D
    Ben

I wonder if 4kw has anything to do with it?531337_328_full.jpg
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited September 2008
    I certainly expected that both of you would have slammed me for my HA setup.
    Later guys.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2008
    Nah, but Ill slam ya for living in Georgia.

Get outta here ya backwards hillbilly!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D