disappointing dvd transfer(s)

Options
gidrah
gidrah Posts: 3,049
edited October 2001 in Music & Movies
I just got done watching about 1/3 of Planet of the Apes (w/Heston). What a disappointment. I've always really liked the eerie music and sound effects in this classic. I thought the DVD would sound so much better than VHS/Cable. From what I have seen of it, all that cool music goes mostly to the center channel. My center speaker sucks (mostly stereo freek), so I got as much from it as I would've if it had been on AMC (widescreen) and listenned in DPL. In fact that may have been better.

Has anybody else come across this with other movies? If so, which?
Make it Funky! :)
Post edited by gidrah on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Now I don't feel so bad that I've put off buying the original (okay, the ONLY) "Planet of The Apes" DVD. I know it's not anamorphic, but I hadn't heard that it was a lame transfer. (I still have my old widescreen VHS!)

Are you sure you're not confusing film transfer quality (nicks, scratches, color, etc.) with a lame soundtrack? Is it 5.1? Maybe you need a better center channel speaker, says the speaker saleman!

I watched the early Soderberg film "The Underneath" this weekend, and that was a crappy DVD transfer, all moire-y and shimmery with digital compression. Windows, car grilles and suit patterns all wigged out with shimmer.

Same with "Raising Arizona." Has anyone seen a good DVD transfer of "Raising Arizona," I kinda hope it was just my rental disc that was crappy with compression and shimmer. I'd love to buy it, but not if it's a crappy transfer.

Crappy DVD transfers really suck.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    Options
    But I was disappointed with Silence of the Lambs....I didn't see any improvement over VHS.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2001
    Options
    ...how about switching from DD, prologic or whatever to stereo, and then checking it out......

OR phantom your center on your mains if your setup allows....I've done this for many 'concert' dvd's that provide way to much center in the mix....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Troy, the new MGM "Silence of The Lambs"? Holy fava beans, Batman, it's a brand new 35mm anamorphic print -- the kind of thing that makes me gaze lovingly at my 16:9 TV and sigh, "Oh, Toshiba, how I love you so..." It's head and shoulders above any other print, even the moody dark Criterion DVD (which I like a lot, but is not anamorphic). GREAT DVD!
    phantom your center on your mains if your setup allows

Please explain this, what the heck am I missing? How do I "phantom"?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I borrowed the disc from a friend, might have just been a dud, who knows....
    Phantom is a setting some of the the old pro-logic recievers had that essentially eliminated the center chanel. I had an older Technics (yeah, yeah) that had this option and was actually pretty cool.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2001
    Options
    ...Some rec. offer modes for the center, ie: normal, wideband, phantom.....

At least in the setups I've seen, Phantom still uses the rears and the sub as normal, but forces the center info into the left/right mains.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I'm just the oposite...I bought the Box set of the origional Planet of the APes and thought it was excellent. Great picture and great surround.. Definatly have no complaints on it what so ever:cool: