Capacitor Questions

Options
DiscoMike
DiscoMike Posts: 114
edited September 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hello all !!!

I have been reading about people upgrading their capacitors in the XOs to improve their sound. After reading the posts, I am convinced that the Sonicaps will give the best bang for the buck. I will also be upgrading the resistors to Mills with all the positive feedback I have read. The cost to upgrade all the XOs in my speaks will be over $1000 easly.

After doing some research, seeing other peoples mods, I was wondering how to upgrade other capacitors in XOs when their ratings are 100uF to 600uF, or higher. Sonicap does not make capacitors at these levels. I wanted to know where polkies go to to get capacitors at these high ratings. Stacking capacitors one ontop of another at these levels would be virtually impossible.

Can the capacitors used in XOs these same capacitors be used to replace the capacitors around the power area in stereo equipment ? I am most interested in replacing caps in my power amp and preamp for better capacitors in an attempt to improve great sound for even better sound.

Second topic question - what is the difference in capacitors - electrolytic, vs. film, vs. mylar, etc. When upgrading capacitors in my XO, do I need to upgrade from an electrolytic capacitor to another electrolytic capacitor ? Or can I use a film capacitor as long as it has the same uF rating ?

Third topic question - there is not much info that I came across when it comes to capacitors used in stereo electronics (amp, preamp, ect.). If I am going to upgrade the capacitors in my stereo electronics in an attempt to improve sound, what are some of the best capacitors (ideally best bang for the buck) that anyone have come across ? And where can one go to get these capacitors ?

Thank you all for reading and any imput you can provide.

Disco-Mike
Post edited by DiscoMike on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,855
    edited September 2008
    Options
    LOL.....yeah good luck.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited September 2008
    Options
    DiscoMike wrote: »
    The cost to upgrade all the XOs in my speaks will be over $1000 easly.

That's foolish. Just buy better speakers. Caps upgrades are considered tweaks; they can't turn water into wine.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • vfx
    vfx Posts: 34
    edited September 2008
    Options
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited September 2008
    Options
    The reason for upgrading a cap is because it is IN the signal path.

A cap for a tweeter crossover qualifies. A coupling capactor for the VA stage of an amplifier qualifies. The input coupling capacitor on nearly all amps also qualifies.

A power supply cap does not qualify.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Caps don't make a difference. Use a piece of string with a wad of chewing gum in the middle (your choice on the color) :).

Your questions are very broad might be a good idea to get your google on. Sonic caps are a nice choice. And as stated above if they aren't in the signal path don't bother. Also the more complicated the electronic equipment perhaps the more of diminishing returns, as other components (like op-amps to name one) will be the bottleneck then.

Replace caps wisely and use restraint. No use putting a $30 cap in a circuit that has other sound killing components in the same path. X-over are great because most are much, much less complicated than your typical electronic component

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2008
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Replace caps wisely and use restraint. No use putting a $30 cap in a circuit that has other sound killing components in the same path.
    That would be shunt capacitors such as the 4.7uf and 1.5uf below. Upgrading the 3.3uf and LF capacitors would make much less of a difference.
    l_98b7165a517648731eed907124eaa7f9.gif
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche